The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 22, 2004, 03:20 PM   #1
User Name

AR15 for-end removal

I looked around on AR15.com but couldn't find anything (I couldn't even find a search function if they have it) and I did a search here (which is my fav. gun resource anyway) and still nothing.
My question is: I was wondering if anyone could tell me, a trick to removing the for-end on my AR with out the little wire tool thingy (<--redneck technical term). I'm hoping someone out there has used standard household tools for these and can clue me in on how to do it and not scare my rifles finish in the process.
Thanks all.
Blaze
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old December 22, 2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Without the wire tool, the GI method is "The Buddy" method.

The rifle's butt is placed on the ground.
One man pulls the collar down, and the other man removes the hand guards.

If you have strong hands, you can do this by yourself.
Wrap your thumb and one or two fingers around the collar, and pull down.
With the other hand, slip the rear of one hand guard out and remove the guard.
Then do the other one.
Old December 22, 2004, 04:20 PM   #3
yorec

I think from your reference to a "wire tool thingy" that you mean the fore end handguards don't you?

I can remove my by myself, but it's admittedly difficult to hold down the delta ring with one hand and remove the guards one at a time with the other. (Butt of gun braced on chair between legs or other such secure place)

The other method is to use a partner - one guy holds gun securely and draws the delta ring down while the other pulls the guards free.

The wire tool is the first one I've seen to assist this - need to get one myself!
Old December 22, 2004, 08:54 PM   #4
User Name

OK thanks guys...I thought of doing the two guy thing but I live alone, so I'll just wait till a buddy comes over.
I just wanted to see if someone knew of a better way.
I've been meaning to pick up one of those tools and just never got around to it...kinda like I keep saying I'll buy another safe but when I've got cash in hand another firearm seems to just jump out at me.. Ya'll know what I mean!
Thanks again.
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old December 23, 2004, 01:54 PM   #5
yorec

Try it solo - if you've some handstrength, you probably can do it and then you'll have the ability and know how at any time. Just be careful not to get pinched!