The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 16, 2016, 12:33 PM   #1
BoogieMan

MIL Handguns

I have a couple permits to burn, NJ thing. I used one on a Femaru M37- Nazi contract .32, Hungarian made. I have a 42' Colt, 41' Luger, Frommer Stop. I would like to add another classic WW hand gun to the collection. I dont mind obscure cartridges as long as they are available. I dont want to form my own brass etc...
I have been considering Nagant revolver, Roth Steyr, Webley, as well as more well known stuff like the PPQ, High Power. What am I missing out on?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 12:47 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

If you want to stay with the WWII scheme and get something shootable, how about a Tokarev TT-33. Plenty of ammo available, reasonably priced (so you might have to look for a soviet war version).
Old November 16, 2016, 01:24 PM   #3
BoogieMan

I do like the Toks. From what I understand some were produced in Hungary at FEG/Femaru, I think the designation is 48M.
Im not stuck on WWII, anything post WWI should be a shootable collectible.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 05:11 PM   #4
highpower3006

How about a P38?

Old November 16, 2016, 05:26 PM   #5
BoogieMan

Since Mapsjanhere mentioned the Tokarev I am looking for a Hungarian 48M made or Tokagypt variant. I thought these were common. None are showing up that I can find. I like Hungarian made guns whenever possible. This may be a tough search.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 08:36 PM   #6
jonnyc

Hungarian TTs are like hens' teeth, you won't find one. Tokagypts are only rare. Keep looking and one might present itself.....eventually. Try to find a nice Luger, P38, or Radom VIS.
Old November 17, 2016, 10:44 AM   #7
2ndsojourn

Well, you mentioned a High Power which would be a nice choice but I think a WW2 version would be the FN Model 35 (P35). (If that's incorrect, someone please correct me because I'd like to know.) Also mentioned above is the Radom (VIS), a 1911-like 9mm. Nice ones are hard to find. And one not mentioned is the Walther PP or PPK.

And if you've never been to the gun show in Oaks, PA, you might wanna venture over there in mid-Dec. It's a huge show and you'll likely find some of what you're looking for.
Old November 17, 2016, 02:29 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsojourn
...well known stuff like the PPQ...
Methinks you mean the PPK.

WWII-era and earlier PPs and PPKs are readily identifiable by the Zella-Mehlis slide legend; the plant was moved after the war. PPs are generally less expensive than PPKs, and 7.65/.32 pistols are less expensive than those in 9mmK/.380 or .22LR (vastly so in the case of the PPK).

Other Nazi pistols that get less attention than the Luger or P38 (and generally sell for lower prices ) are the FN Browning Model 1922, Polish Radom, Star Model B, Mauser HSc, and J.P. Sauer 38H. I have a soft spot for the latter because it has a cocking lever that appears similar to that on a modern SIG Sauer pistol at a glance, but it alternately cocks AND decocks the internal hammer.

FWIW as discussed re: the PP and PPK, the smaller blowback Nazi pistols are almost invariably far more common and less expensive in 7.65/.32 than in 9mmK/.380, because the former cartridge was in the normal supply chain and the latter was not, so officers who purchased their own pistols were saddled with the inconvenience of having to source their own 9mm Kurz ammo. (These pistols were generally purchased rather than issued. Contrary to what some guys at the gun store will tell you, most German soldiers and sailors who carried a Luger or P38 were NCOs or lower-ranking personnel whose job prevented them from carrying a rifle, e.g. truck drivers. Officers generally bought their own small-caliber pistols as a badge of rank, and in the case of the Luftwaffe, to facilitate squeezing into and out of tight airplane cockpits.)
Old November 17, 2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Doubt you will find a Radom at a "lower price."

To Star Model B add Astra 600.
Broomhandle Mauser, Spanish copies of Broomhandle.
Earlier models of Mauser 1910, 1934.
Beretta 1934 .380 (army) 1935 .32 (navy)

Scores of others.
If you could find a copy of W.H.B. Smith's Handguns of the World it was written when there were a lot of military pistols were in the surplus market.
Old November 17, 2016, 08:02 PM   #10
BoogieMan

I will look for WHB Handguns of the world. It would be a good reference for future. There are so many awesome guns available. I even like the largo astra. I can't or won't have 100s of Handguns. And I want quality examples not pitted and worn out. I think I will stick to the Hungarian made guns, at least for the foreseeable future. They ate challenging to track down. Many times I find the Austrian examples of pressure ww2 handguns. I am assuming that much larger numbers were produced in Austria than Budapest.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 21, 2016, 11:01 AM   #11
CLC

I vote Colt 1917.
Old November 21, 2016, 04:25 PM   #12
Old Bill Dibble

I'd certainly consider the FP45 if your budget allows it.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."