The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1
Sirhcmarak

Can anyone suggest some swapable part upgrade options for my Taurus PT 101?

I purchased a PT 101 from Academy sports and have put around 600 to 700 rounds through it and saw the opportunity to upgrade a couple things. The cheap plastic grip panels were the first to get a change, I replaced them with the Hogue rubber molded panels. I also beveled the magazine well, and polished the feed ramp. I have not lowered or flared the ejection port because it ejects spent rounds fine.

If your wondering, Yes it fires fine and accurate. Yeah its a cheaper gun to modify and spend extra time and money on, but to me it's just fun. I like tinkering with my weapons and seeing new and inventive add-ons that others have made.

My problem is now finding internal part upgrades like recoil springs, muzzle break, trigger assembly, or lightened hammers Etc. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have searched the net pretty hard, and I have came up with nothing. Does anyone have anything they have found or came across in town. I would appreciate it, Thanks.
Old January 3, 2011, 06:48 AM   #2
twhidd

I don't know what "upgrades" are available for the PT101. There may be some interchangeability between it and the Beretta equivalent (model 96). Some people, myself included, replace some of the plastic controls on our Beretta models with steel replacements. Those parts include recoil rod, trigger, mag release button, and safety lever. But I can't speak to the Taurus as I've never owned one.

Maybe you could install some laser grips or night sights. If you really want to get fancy you could put a red dot sight on it. If you want lighter springs check http://www.gunsprings.com/. A lighter main spring should reduce trigger pull a good deal. Do a Google search for "Beretta D-spring upgrade" and you'll see the details.

I'm curious as to how you were thinking of "lowering and flaring the ejector port" on that model and why you would think to modify it in such a way. That mod has always been geared towards a 1911 style handgun. It's my thinking that such a modification would be completely unnecessary with the exposed barrel configuration of the Taurus and Beretta designs. In fact it would probably even ruin your gun.

Last edited by twhidd; January 3, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old January 3, 2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Leejack

The PT101 is a brilliantly designed gun and works right out of the box.

I agree that lowered and flared ejection ports are 1911 lingo. I've been following these guns for years and have never heard anybody even consider doing something like that. It would probably only weaken the slide and isn't necessary at all.

The only upgrade I might consider is installing the Beretta Gen 3 locking block kit. It can be purchased directly from berettausa.com. That's if you feel the need to tinker with you gun at all.

Sounds like your gun is perfect as is; I wouldn't mess with it. If you really feel the need to hot rod a gun, you might consider a bare bones, plane jane 1911. Then, the sky is the limit.

Again, the 101 is a star right out of the box, I'd leave it alone and have fun.

Good luck!
Old January 4, 2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Sirhcmarak

Thanks Guys

Lowering and flaring the ejection port was a suggestion from my buddy who is an 1911 shooter so that explains that suggestion, I didn't really know what it was so that's why I said "I did not do that to my gun," in my original text and I didn't even look into getting it done. Well I looked into the interchangeability of my PT 101 with the Beretta 96, and I can't get a definite answer because most Beretta owners I know would not have a Taurus "clone". I don't believe personally that there is much of a difference other than my Taurus has a steel guide rod and no plastic parts save the plastic grip panels. I have read that the slide rail works but not the barrel so back to the drawing board on that one. I did find this little piece and I believe it's all I will need or want to change on http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html it is an Sprinco Recoil Management Guide Rod System. It will reduced recoil and muzzle climb. If it does what it says it will then I'll be happy and done with "upgrades" thanks for your input. If you have anymore suggestions I am still open eared. Thanks Again
Old January 4, 2011, 09:39 AM   #5
railroader

The one thing I did to my taurus 99 was to put in a reduced power hammer spring to lighten up the trigger. http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...D=1&mID=65#335 This guy also sells "D" springs and competition hammer springs. http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm Here's more info on springs. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227049 Mark
Old January 4, 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
twhidd

I don't really know too much about that so-called "recoil management" thing. If recoil is really a problem for you then just put in a heavier recoil spring. But then you run the risk of feed problems. But seriously, if the guns runs well and you like it then why do you want to change it? Feed it, clean it, and love it. It should serve you well just like it is.

Tags
handgun , pt 101p , semi-auto hand guns , taurus , taurus 101 40 cal.