The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2002, 06:42 PM   #1
Santino

Overall length of HD shotgun

I'm thinking of adding an 870 express synthetic stock to my collection as my primary HD shotgun.
I own a mossy 500 with a 24 inch rifled barrel and rather than buying new barrels I'm gonna just go ahead and get myself an 18 inch barreled 870, I've always wanted one anyway.
It says on remingtons web site that the overall length is 38 1/2 inches which is pretty short all things considered.
What is the most common length of HD shotguns, anything out there shorter than this not including PG's?, how short is too short ?.....I am 6'1'' 195lbs with average reach.I am not a big time shotgunner and am interested in learning the ropes.I am in no way recoil shy "not trying to be a tough guy thats just the way it is"and I would like to set up my new 870 for maximum HD and god forbid "civil unrest" duties.
What are my options? should I just buy it and leave it stock?
Just so you know I live in a 4 room apt on the 1st floor in nyc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870exs.jpg (3.6 KB, 149 views)
Old December 10, 2002, 09:32 PM   #2
Skofnung

I have a buddy that is about your size, maybe a little bigger, that owns a stock 870 with a 20" barrel for HD. It fits him fine. I would get it stock, and go from there. If you can't shoot it comfortably, get some stock spacers, or get a new stock.

That is what I would do.
Old December 11, 2002, 04:40 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Santino, my "Serious" shotguns run about 38-41". It's not important. A standard stock should fit you fairly close.

A short bbled 870 right out of the box is an awesome close range weapon in trained hands. Forget addons for now, just shoot the thing. After a few cases of ammo, think about what will improve your effectiveness and get that.
Old December 11, 2002, 01:05 PM   #4
HS/LD

The new Winchester 1300 Defender 18 inch bbl. I just bought fits well within Dave's requirements. 391/2"

Regards,
HS/LD