The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What would you carry for self defense?
Lethal Weapon (Gun, knife, etc ) 271 98.19%
Non Lethal Weapon (Pepper spray, taser, etc) 5 1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2, 2010, 11:44 PM   #76
Steviewonder1

I don't do stupid things at stupid times with stupid people. I do carry and if engaged will shoot the perp to the ground with what I am carrying and that could be anything. I have done two Close Range Gunfighting classes this year and practice the drills monthly.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:45 PM   #77
markj

Man therre is a guy has a chuck norris to protect him. If we could all be so lucky
Old December 5, 2010, 11:58 AM   #78
Glenn E. Meyer

Watch the langauge filter, folks.

If you see your message has a bunch of **** and you were using a bad word - go fix it.

Thank you.

GEM
Old December 5, 2010, 06:26 PM   #79
FoxtrotRomeo

Quote:
If you see your message has a bunch of **** and you were using a bad word - go fix it.
It was my understanding that the filter is working when "****" appears after you type something else. I'm confused. Generally Mods and Admins get mad when people try to find a way around the filter.

Not trying to be a smartalleck just sayin.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old December 6, 2010, 10:08 AM   #80
Glenn E. Meyer

If you type something bad we see ****.

If you deliberately type asterisks to imply something bad, that's bad too!

GM
Old December 6, 2010, 01:31 PM   #81
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

FoxtrotRomeo (and others here), to expand a little on what Glenn said, consider this scenario: You are a member of an group that's under fire nationwide. You've elected to debate the issue, on stage, in front of thousands of people.

The event is also being broadcast worldwide to those who care to listen. High ranking members of your opposition, news agencies, and politicians that can either hurt or help your cause are in the audience.

Now, how do you want to come across to that audience? As poorly educated, crass, and exactly as the opposition hopes for, or as an intelligent, formidable opponent that commands respect?

The pressure's on, right?

That's exactly what you're doing when you post on The Firing Line. See my sig. line and think about it.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 26, 2010, 12:10 AM   #82
ncpatriot

Stewey1, you need some new friends. Even in my hard drinking days, when someone in my party did some stupid crap like that, we parted company. I drank together with 1 guy who seemed OK. On the way into a bar 1 night, he insulted a biker gang outside. I first thought he knew them & was just clowning with them. They started coming off the bikes toward him. I said "what the hell are you thinking!?" & told the head biker he was drunk, let me get him out of there. He said "get him out now while you still can". I got him away, he complained I'd stopped him. I took him home & told him we didn't hang together any more.

Everyone clowns a little sometimes, but someone who starts things is a dangerous friend to have. He may start something you can't stop. If I couldn't have stopped the bikers, I'd have walked away & let them beat the guy up. I wasn't about to help him when he did something that stupid.
Old December 26, 2010, 12:37 AM   #83
jimbob86

I live in Nebraska. Pepper spray used outdoors is subject to wind direction: Whipping out a can of OC and blinding yourself is a bad way to start a confrontation. I'll take the firearm, thankee.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:56 AM   #84
ncpatriot

I agree Jimbob. Our winds here aren't that extreme, but can still blow in the wrong direction. It doesn't take much wind to blow spray mist back on us. My ccw instructor had it in stream type, but said he could only sell that to LEO's. I have it & don't say I'd never use it, but it won't be my 1st/only line of defense.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:42 AM   #85
XD Gunner

Quote:
Im young and in good shape tho, and havent got into a situation that i couldnt handle myself in……..YET
I'm young, in good shape, am 6'4"-235lbs, and raised as a "farmboy", I have never been in a situation I couldn't handle myself in (with diplomacy or otherwise) and I carry an XD45acp or a S&W 649-3. Why? Watch the news.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old December 28, 2010, 07:14 PM   #86
ncpatriot

I'm now 53. I fought a lot as a youngster & was about average with my fists. Became a bit more pacifist in a sense in my teens, didn't keep fighting as part of my nature. Had no fights as an adult, so I'm far out of shape for hand to hand combat. As often happens, I've put on some weight too. I need to drop about 30 pounds & work out a bit. I'll never be "fighter" material again, but could improve enough to hold my own against an average person.

My CCW instructor, a lifelong LEO said, "remember in any hand to hand fighting, you're going to get hurt a certain amount, even if you win the fight". I've seen some SD videos that advocate stopping deadly situations by hand or knife instead of the gun. If a situation is deadly to someone, my fists or my knife will not help. The gun keeps me a few steps further away & will stop the BG much faster.