The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
rrp

Primers available

It looks like the primer shortage has come to an end. The local Scheels store has their primer case fully loaded with every size and brand they had before the hording began. Prices are a bit higher than last year though. $29.00 a thousand. Let the loading begin!!!!
Old November 14, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Maligator

I can't wait for all those gougers to get stuck with primers they thought they could off for $50 or more per thousand! Even in the middle of it all I still ony ended up paying $24 per thousand by buying in bulk. I didn't have to wait all that long either. Guess I got lucky, but patience played a role as well.
Old November 14, 2009, 01:52 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I didn't have to wait all that long either. Guess I got lucky, but patience played a role as well.
A little patience, and asking around will go far. It's when people get swept up in the panic, that the tunnel vision of a 'shortage' takes over.

The problem around here, is a matter of storage space. The retailers simply cannot keep enough powder and primers in their store, to keep up with demand. (Due to fire code restrictions on HazMat)

If you ask any of the honest owners, they'll tell you there is absolutely no shortage. It's just a matter of what they can fit in a HazMat shipment (usually shared between 2-3 stores, at a max of 400 pounds per truck), and what they can store in their location.

One store here has promised they can get any powder or primer I want, in less than 2 weeks.
Old November 14, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
armoredman

Well, I wish they'd ship out here! Nothing local, running out of my stash.
Old November 14, 2009, 03:36 PM   #5
bullspotter

LOL 1 scheels store gets a good shipment of primers and the shortage is over?? Must be one big store!!!
Old November 14, 2009, 03:46 PM   #6
shooter_from_show-me

Talk about price gouging...my brother was at the Gun Show at KCI Expo Center on the 7th of this month. He came across a table there that had large pistol primers for $50 for 300, yes I said it correctly 3 trays for $50:barf:. I asked him twice if what he was telling me was correct and he said yes, to see if possibly he misread it. "That is what the sign said" end quote. He said he just laughed out loud and walked away. I told him to go to Cabela's here and get 1k of them for $32

NRA Life Member
Old November 14, 2009, 04:17 PM   #7
floydster

My local Scheel's store charges $36 per K when they have them.
Floyd
Old November 14, 2009, 04:30 PM   #8
shooter_from_show-me

BTW how much were 1k primers, say 5-10 years ago? Just wanted to see what if any price difference there may have been.

NRA Life Member
Old November 14, 2009, 09:13 PM   #9
mongoose33

I ran across a couple bricks of primers today in my local shop, SR and LP. Cost was $34 each, a bit pricey, but I wanted to replenish. I have a 5k order of LP at Grafs, but it's been backordered there since April.

I'm back up to a more comfortable number of primers; 2500+ small rifle, 7500 small pistol, 3500 large pistol (2k of which are Federal match primers).
Old November 14, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10
DiscoRacing

good thing im still sittin pretty with over 22,000 here.... nice to see someone from the BADGER mongoose
Old November 14, 2009, 10:42 PM   #11
TN Hillbilly

I believe the shortage is easing off if not over. I have seen primers in stock for the last 2-3 months in my area. SPP still go quickly thru Wideners because of the better price but if I needed some ASAP I can walk into my local gun shop and they have a good amount on the shelf.
Old November 14, 2009, 11:21 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
if I needed some ASAP I can walk into my local gun shop and they have a good amount on the shelf.
That's a big part of it.

All the chain stores around here are out, and claim they have no idea what they'll get, or when they'll get it. For them, the sky is falling.

However... If you walk into a mom & pop place, they either have something useful, or tell you they can get what you need. (They may not always have Win Large Pistol Magnum primers, but should have a suitable substitute like CCI LP Magnum, etc)

Quote:
how much were 1k primers, say 5-10 years ago?
As I understand it, we are somewhat of a cheaper economy for reloading supplies...
5-10 years ago, primers were running $14-18 / 1000 in my area.
10-15 years ago, primers were running $10-13 / 1000 in my area.

I was really angry when I had to pay $26 / 1000 last year, in Rochester, NY. It was before the panic buying and "shortage", and outside my normal economy. (Utah, which was running $20-23 on the high end.)
Old November 14, 2009, 11:39 PM   #13
Fullthrottle

My local gun store out here in Northern CA, has had primers in stock for more than a year now(limiting you to 500 at one time), various brands, but always in stock. Also same price no matter what brand or size, $4.79 per 100(=$47.90 per 1000). Not that I like that price but isn't the hazmat $22.00 or so? That said, when buying lower amounts the price aint too bad.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:11 AM   #14
troy_mclure

local cabellas has lots of primers, except large pistol. im working on my last 400, and i just bought a 10mm.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 15, 2009, 12:42 AM   #15
That'll Do

I just picked up a brick each of Federal LP primers at a gun show earlier today. They were tucked away on the dealer's table, so I snatched them up. At $37/1000, they were a bit on the high side, but I'm not complaining. I was relieved to find them, as I just bought a Lipsey's 44 Special Ruger Blackhawk, and I need to start feeding it.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:45 AM   #16
armoredman

I was going to order some Wolfs LR from Natchez a while back, but the price for 2 bricks with shipping was over $100! I can't afford that right now, gotta hunker down and hope some show up local.
Old November 15, 2009, 09:29 AM   #17
spleify

There are a few places local here in Denver that always has them, but they are $45-$50/1K, quit redicilous actually
Like us on Facebook
Old November 15, 2009, 12:50 PM   #18
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter
...LOL 1 scheels store gets a good shipment of primers and the shortage is over?? Must be one big store!!!
Scheels "is very big" in the midwest. They carry one of the largest inventories and have over 25 stores. My local Scheels was ordering over $50K worth of reloading components each week and only getting in $5K-$10K during the peak of the panic. To their credit, they kept prices reasonable and didn't gouge.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:35 PM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Scheels "is very big" in the midwest. They carry one of the largest inventories and have over 25 stores. My local Scheels was ordering over $50K worth of reloading components each week and only getting in $5K-$10K during the peak of the panic. To their credit, they kept prices reasonable and didn't gouge.
Copy that. Sheel's in Iowa City hasn't gouged in their primers at all compared to others in my area. $30/1000 has been their mainstay price for quite some time. They're usually high in their guns, but for some reason they're reasonable with their primers.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 16, 2009, 01:09 PM   #20
mjm

I work in Houston and stop by a large shop about once a week, normally after they restock shelves. They always have some primers in stock, but not the ones I need. I've picked up all the Remington 7 1/2 I need, but have not seen the Remington or Federal LP and SP primers I use.

It does not look like the shortages have settled down here yet. Tomorrow is another day...
Old November 16, 2009, 05:33 PM   #21
wvshooter

Just bought 1K Federal small pistol match grade primers at Gander Mtn. Of course the match grade primers are more expensive than standard primers. Paid $50 before tax. The clerk said they are starting to get regular shipments. I would say the shortage is over or will be soon.