The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1
beaverguy

221 Fireball ??

Just bought a new 700 Rem BDL LS sporter in 221 Fireball. Figure on using Sierra 50gr bullets.. Anyone have any super accurate loads for this combination??? What kind of accuracy can I expect from this rifle??

Thanks
Old August 2, 2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Harley Quinn

beaverdude

221 good buy.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/0505/

I am thinking of doing some fancy stuff with an M1 carbine with this round.
Yes, it can be done. Hope the page helps.

HQ
Old August 2, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
beaverguy

Thanks Harley

The article was interesting but didn't give any loads..

John
Old August 3, 2006, 12:40 AM   #4
Harley Quinn

scroll down

Lots of loads

HQ
Old August 3, 2006, 04:43 AM   #5
beaverguy

??????? LOADS Harley

Harley,
I only saw starting loads and max loads.. No accuracy loads no primer recommendations.. Did I miss something in this article ??
Old August 3, 2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Harley Quinn

Beaverguy

Yes

HQ
Old August 3, 2006, 01:31 PM   #7
Scorch

Beaverguy-
You have all the info you need to work up good loads in the article. Start with a good primer, your choice of powders form those listed, and a good quality bullet (I would recommend a 50 gr match hollow point). Starting about halfway between the minimum and maximum loads listed, work the load up in .5 gr increments until you find a load that will give you the best accuracy for a 5-shot group. Once you find the right load, then you can work on the small stuff like different primers and seating depth and .1 gr increments of powder. But work on the basics first.

From the powders listed, I like LilGun best. It gives very consistent results in smaller cases. Don't try to get the fastest load in the world, focus on accuracy.
Old August 3, 2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Wild Bill Bucks

Scorch is telling it right. Doesn't matter how fast it is , or how far it shoots, if you can't hit anything with it.

The reason for reloading is because EVERY rifle will like a particular load, better than anything else, so you have to experiment with your loads until you find out what that particular load is, for your particular rifle.

Loading books and the information they have, are mostly general for a particular caliber. It is good to check your books for maximum loads and pressures, but they are not going to be able to tell you what is the absolute best for YOUR rifle. Only experimintation will tell you that. They are giving you stats on loads that are being shot from a particular barrel length, twist rate, catridge length,primer, brass, and bullet. None of which may be right for your particular rifle.

Start with a middle of the road load, and follow scorchs instructions.
Old August 3, 2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Harley Quinn

Thanks for assist

Thanks to the last two posters. You can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.

I figured others would read and help him out I seem to have failed in my endevor.

Stick to factory for awhile till you get the hang of shooting. I believe you are much to new to be trying to work up a load. " can not find it in that article" .
Good luck.

HQ
Old August 3, 2006, 05:36 PM   #10
beaverguy

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for the info. I've been rolling my own for 40 years now and know what you said is all true. I was just trying to have people post what thier favorite load combination for the 221 is.. I guess I just got lazy,,, LOL !! Thanks again and keep being helpfull..

John
Old August 3, 2006, 09:04 PM   #11
270Win

Before I read that article, the only knowledge of .221 Fireball was from talking to someone who's cousin used it. Yeah, third- or fourth-hand knowledge. Not the most reliable. For example, the guy sure didn't accurately represent the fact that the Fireball has a REDUCED case capacity compared to .223...

Anyway, the only powder he mentioned (over and over, I might add), was H4198. So... consider that a very limited recommendation

Though I don't have any pet loads for you, I'll bet you will get some fantastic accuracy from the BDL - have any pics to post?

Wild Bill Bucks is right on about rifles being so particular, and that those load books are indispensible. Internet isn't bad, but those huge reloading tomes are really useful. As, with 40 years experience, I'm sure you know!

Good luck!
Old August 7, 2006, 05:49 PM   #12
flashhole

I have a 221 Fireball on order (Rem 700 stainless, 22" fluted barrel, synthetic). I was hoping for more banter on bullet selection. The Remington barrels have a slower twist (1:14 vs a more conventional 1:12) that aren't as friendly to as large a bullet selection. I think the 50 grain bullet will work but articles I have read suggest better results with bullets in the 39-45 grain weight class. Any thoughts or comments?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 7, 2006, 08:58 PM   #13
Harley Quinn

1-14

is good for the lighter bullets, none of the bullets you will find for the 221 is going to be needing a tighter twist. What I have read anyway.

1-12 is better for over 60 grains. Remember the AR15 223 controversy? I believe they don't, recommend them for this caliber, 221.
221 was first designed for a handgun with a short barrel.

HQ
Old August 10, 2006, 03:30 AM   #14
BILLY D.

my best results came with rl-7 and lilgun. but my firearm is a pistol so the results would not be the same for your rifle.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER