The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2005, 03:08 AM   #1
Blue Heeler

More Help Please Shotgunners

I have tracked down a Rossi Hammergun (short barrel) - it is a bit neglected but seems pretty sound. One barrel is as clean as a whistle (left) BUT the right barrel is full of crud. I've put the cleaner through it and what comes out is rust - it must be pitted. I thought these (relatively) modern chrome barrels didn't do that. It is soaking in solvent right now so I don't know what is going to come out of it in a few days time. My question is this:- 'If it is pitted, is it ruined?' I only want it for a Snake Gun - won't be using it much. If I clean it up as best I can, and keep it oiled, will there be any reason why it won't do the job for years to come?

And, just by the way, I don't understand how some people can neglect basic maintenance on their equipment. Cars etc. or whatever - there are some very negligent people out there!
Old March 16, 2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

As far as I know, the Rossi hammer guns were NOT chrome plated.
These were inexpensive guns, and expensive options like plating weren't used.

To clean the bores and remove any tough fouling, wrap some 0000 steel wool, or some bronze Choir-Boy pot cleaner around a brush.
Chuck the rod in a drill, and running the drill at medium to slow speed, run it up and down the bore, keeping the brush constantly moving.

This will remove any leading or other fouling, and will polish the bore up.

Often what LOOKS like rust is actually lead and plastic build up, and this fouling can be quite difficult to remove.

Even if it's rusted and pitted, the polishing will remove all the rust, and shine up the bore, but of course can't remove pitting.

Even if fairly pitted, this will have no effect on shooting the gun.
Just clean it well after use, and keep a light coat of a good rust preventive lube like CLP Breakfree in the barrels.
Old March 16, 2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Blue Heeler

Thanks Dfariswheel. I'll do what you suggest and post the outcome.
Old March 16, 2005, 07:10 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Yep - I've used that method in the past and it works great. My only addition is to use solvant or light oil (good squirt of WD-40).
Old March 16, 2005, 09:19 PM   #5
Jbar4Ranch

Ed's Red works well on plastic fouling.

SASS 47015
Old March 16, 2005, 10:16 PM   #6
Nortonics

I've heard of two things that really make quick work of horrible shotgun barrels:

1) "Chore Boy" pads from your supermarket.

Wrap it around a bronze bore brush, add a little of your favorite gun oil, and scrub.

2) Attach your bore brush and rod(s) to a variable speed power drill - you get the idea.