The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 7, 2002, 08:17 PM   #1
Courier

Long gun for left handed

I have several pistols and am saving for a shot gun. I like the price and everything I've read about the 870's, but I'm left handed and need a good home defense CQB weapon. Any opinions or help would be appreciated, but it does need to be reasonably priced. Thanks.
Old April 7, 2002, 10:30 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

870 shouldn't be all that bad to operate from the other side.

Whatever you get, practice from both sides. A lot of times wronghanded mount can render a faster, safer or more accurate shot. Think barricades, left side, right side.

Sam
Old April 8, 2002, 12:22 AM   #3
Navy joe

Are you sure you need a shotgun? One thing is that a long gun in a house presents some greater rentention hazards than a pistol.

If you do, you'll be able to run an 870 just fine. Trigger finger runs the slidebar release, disengage the safety before completely grabbing the comb, or if it's already pointing at something you don't like just snake your trigger finger around the trigger and push the safety off with it. Reloads from a sidesaddle are pretty quick too, I can chamber load, (AKA combat load) pretty fast. With the shells pointing up I just rip one and loop it over the top of the reciever with my stronghand, don't dismount or unpoint the gun. Reloading the tube is best left for when you have a little time or cover, preferably both. I guess I don't need to point out that if you're reloading an 8 shot 870 in your house you're already having a pretty bad day, may want to consider a different zip code.
Old April 8, 2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Huntersix

Remington makes a lefthanded model 870 express. My hunting buddy bought one at a chain sporting goods store for about $40 more than a standard model.
Old April 8, 2002, 12:00 PM   #5
CMichael

Mossberg's safety is in the middle so it's good for left or right handed shooters.

Michael
Old April 8, 2002, 08:05 PM   #6
Nevada Fitch

I am lefthanded and I have gotten along with right handed 870s and 1100s for years. You can get a lefthand safety for your right hand 870 or 1100. This is the best way to go other than buying the lefthand shotgun to start with. Just be sure to get lefthand safeties for all of your shotguns, otherwise you may make a mistake someday. Personally I hate cross bolt safeties and even though I still have an 1100 I prefer to use other guns with top tang safeties or hammers because there is less chance of getting confused concerning which position is safe and which is fire. I am sure this is part of the reason I prefer side by sides to all other shotguns.
Old April 8, 2002, 09:28 PM   #7
Courier

Thanks

I appreciate all the info and advice. Thanks.
Old April 10, 2002, 11:01 AM   #8
Vern Brink

I use an 870P left handed and shoot a handgun right handed. Definitely have the safety converted if you get the 870. I find the gun easy to load and very easy to chamber check visually and by touch in low light left handed. Never had any issues with it being a "right handed" gun.
Old April 10, 2002, 12:59 PM   #9
Gunter

A HD Shotgun should have a sling anyway. The two most popular methods of retention IIRC are
1) blast the attacker off the end of the shotgun (pull back sharply for alignment, then press trigger)
2) let go the shotgun, shoot the BG with your pistol (he won't want the shotgun any more).
Old April 12, 2002, 12:57 PM   #10
Mike Kilo Niner

I'm a southpaw, and have had good luck with a Mossberg 590A1. As Cmichael mentioned, the safety is ambi-friendly. Right-side ejection is just something we lefties get used to.
If you're set on a Rem 870, you might try storing it hammer down, chamber empty, tube full, safety off. If things go bump in the night seriously enough to require buckshot to settle down, just rack the slide and you're in business. This is not a good option if you've got young kids, however.
with oxygen.
-- Kurt Vonnegut
Old April 14, 2002, 01:23 PM   #11
Courier

Thanks for all the help. I had never shot a shotgun and was worried about being left handed and getting hit in the face from the ejection. I have no kids, so I feel safe in getting a shotgun for my home protection. I appreciate all the input everybody.