The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2006, 06:23 AM   #1
ledavatar

Small Reloading Bench

I'm an apartment dweller and had been looking to reload but due to space I could not fit a normal bench. I saw the Frankford Arsenal Portable Reloading Stand (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=155024) but it just didn't look sturdy to me. Plus it's backordered at Midway. After some surfing I saw the perfect stand to mount a Dillon (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7313). It holds 700lbs and has just enough space. On sale too .

Just thought I'd share the info for people in my similar situation. Maybe they can finally move past the Lee hand loader .
Old July 29, 2006, 07:01 AM   #2
DakTo

I like the Grizzly. I got mine at Home Depot. I think Lowe's has them also. Check out the tool stands like those used for sanders, miter saws, etc. They have slotted tops for mounting items. I have one for my Dillon and i have two single stage presses on another. The two single stages are for load development. I reload on the single stages in two operations at a time. First time, deprime, resize, and flare for pistol. After this i tumble my brass. Second, seat and crimp in individual stages.
Old July 29, 2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Billy 45

Ledavatar:

I have one of those tool stands. I have a Jet Mini-Lathe mounted on it. It is very sturdy. You might want to consider making a new top for it out of two layers of 3/4" plywood, The plywood top would be alot more substancial than the one that comes with it. This also gives you the option of making the new top slightly larger. You can put a plywood piece on top of the leg stringers, making a shelf. I have done both to the one I have.

Billy
Old July 29, 2006, 07:50 AM   #4
ledavatar

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to make a trip to Home Depot and check out at least a bottom shelf board. I also thought about putting a larger board on top, glad to know I'm not alone. How do I fasten the new boards together? Nuts and bolts on 4 corners? I assume I'll just bolt them down to the bench top (on the top's 4 corners).

I'm very excited to get into reloading. So far I ordered 3 manuals from Midway (Lyman 48th, Sierra 5th, Lee 2nd), the Grizzly bench, and the Dillon RL 550B - all on their way. I figure I'll make a massive hazmat order from Midway once I get the manuals and decide what I want to load. I'd have to say Midway is one of the best online companies I've come across so far - excellent website, fast processing/shipping and great customer service. The guy at the gunrange says even though he gets his stuff wholesale, he still orders from there.
Old July 29, 2006, 08:19 AM   #5
Ausserordeutlich

I tried a search on the Home Depot site and came up with "zero" Grizzly benches. Anybody got a link to that bench at Home Depot?
Old July 29, 2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Billy 45

Ledavatar:

I would glue the two pieces together with a little wood glue, like Titebond. Take some nails, 1" to 1 1/4" long, and hammer them in from what will become the underneath side of the top. The nails will hold the edges straight and boards flat together while the glue dries. You don't need alot of glue.

Billy

Last edited by Billy 45; July 29, 2006 at 01:01 PM.