The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 1, 2016, 04:22 PM   #1
iraiam

New Gun Free Zone Sign

I work in a gun free zone, fine. Everyone who works there is told it's a weapon free zone when they hire on and it's in writing in the employee handbook that it's a weapon free zone, zero tolerance policy.

Now someone thought it was a good idea to put up a shiny new gun free zone sign out at the street entrances, being in a high crime area and with 3 jails within walking distance it seems like a really stupid thing to advertise, considering we don't cater to the general public, you can bet I'll be finding out why these signs are needed now.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old May 1, 2016, 04:42 PM   #2
cw308

EZ Pickens for the bad guys, keep a baseball bat handy. Or find a safer place to work.
Old May 1, 2016, 04:59 PM   #3
TMD

Always have the option of seeking employment elsewhere.
Old May 1, 2016, 05:58 PM   #4
iraiam

Indeed I do, and the list of reasons to keep it up there becomes shorter all the time.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old May 1, 2016, 07:29 PM   #5
us920669

I thought it might be a gag sign, like: "Hearing protection required, homicidal maniacs may be at work" or "Psycho free fire area".
Old May 1, 2016, 08:26 PM   #6
MurBob

That's almost as dumb as putting a sign on your home that says "On Vacation, Be Back on DateHere"
Old May 1, 2016, 08:52 PM   #7
iraiam

I wonder if the person responsible for putting up this sign is also willing to put the same gun free zone sign in their front yard

Old May 2, 2016, 07:41 AM   #8
Skans

Do I get my gun free when I apply or after I'm hired?
Old May 2, 2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Lohman446

My father, who owns the company, was once in a seminar several years back. The question came up as to what individual businesses did in regards to background checks. His response was that he asked to see their concealed pistol license. The theory being that holders of a CPL had already gone through a more extensive background check than what we would have done as a company.

Not a gun free zone...
Old May 2, 2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Pahoo

C,Y,A

Quote:
Any company or place of business, has the right to post these signs. ....

Every person has the God given right of self protection. ....

All should keep in mind that actions always have consequences .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 2, 2016, 12:09 PM   #11
Jleonard

Quote:
My father, who owns the company, was once in a seminar several years back. The question came up as to what individual businesses did in regards to background checks. His response was that he asked to see their concealed pistol license. The theory being that holders of a CPL had already gone through a more extensive background check than what we would have done as a company
Ahhh someone with that rare quality of common sense. Awesome.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:26 PM   #12
TailGator

Quote:
That's almost as dumb as putting a sign on your home that says "On Vacation, Be Back on DateHere"
That's what social media is for.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:34 PM   #13
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post

That is a little disingenuous. It may not be a viable option. Especially for those who have been in a job for a long time.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:38 PM   #14
stonewall50

New Gun Free Zone Sign

My place of business is a secure office. By secure I mean they lock the doors and you have to swipe a card in the front of a lock to get inside not go through metal detector's. Of course it is an against the law if you carry a firearm in there you can just be asked to leave or fired. But my state gun laws are superior when it comes two gun free zone signs. They hold no weight of law nor should they. A private citizen should have no right to determine that a place is it legal or illegal to carry a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 3, 2016, 08:23 PM   #15
TMD

Not saying I agree with employers no gun policies but unless it's your business then the only options are comply or work elsewhere. Which do you value more?
Old May 3, 2016, 09:51 PM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
But my state gun laws are superior when it comes two gun free zone signs.
Yes, FL has some good laws in that regard, but if your employer says no on his property, and you violate it, you can be fired immediately.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 6, 2016, 09:51 PM   #17
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Yes, FL has some good laws in that regard, but if your employer says no on his property, and you violate it, you can be fired immediately.

Correct. But not prosecuted.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:09 AM   #18
FITASC

Depends on where.........power plants, and other off-limit areas will get you prosecuted.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 8, 2016, 09:12 AM   #19
Lohman446

Quote:
Correct. But not prosecuted.
Maybe. An argument can be made that entering property under conditions prohibited by the owner can be construed as trespassing. You are there without the owner's consent after all.

I'm not a lawyer but I would have serious legal advise before I acted under the assumption I could not be prosecuted.
Old May 8, 2016, 05:42 PM   #20
Mike38

I'm not sure I'd want to answer someone that asked me if I had a CCL. It could swing both ways. Either they'd hire you knowing you have had a background check and can be assumed a law abiding citizen. Or, they could file your application in the "round file" thinking you're one of those "gun nuts".

Interesting.

If you lie and say you don't have a CCL when you do, you're labeled a liar and not get the job. Catch-22.
Old May 8, 2016, 06:58 PM   #21
TMD

Not sure about your state but in Texas personal questions about hobbies, political interests, and personal activities are a no no.
Old May 10, 2016, 03:18 PM   #22
sgtpepper

What would the consequences be if you were to bring a gun and got caught with it? Termination of your employment?
Colt Python 6" .357M | IMI Jericho 941 9mm | CZ SP01 Shadow 9mm | Walther PP 7,65mm | Ruger MkIII | Benelli MP90S .22 | Mossberg 590 SP A1 | Remington 700 LTR .308 Win | Ruger PC Carbine | Ruger 10/22
Old May 10, 2016, 03:51 PM   #23
FITASC

Depending on the place, termination would be the least of his issues.
Old May 10, 2016, 07:21 PM   #24
iraiam

Yes, immediate termination would be the first thing, but the issue is not weather or not to bring a weapon it's obviously a big no-no. The issue is every jailbird in the high crime area is now being notified that anyone leaving this place is unarmed.

Old May 10, 2016, 09:50 PM   #25
SaxonPig

I feel your pain. I am prohibited from being armed at work by policy and state law. Law allows my employer to allow carry but refuses to do it.

As for stores, etc posting signs in my state the signs carry no weight of law. Not a crime to ignore them so that's what I do.