The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 28, 2016, 07:29 PM   #26
KEYBEAR

I shipped a Shotgun some years ago and used U.P.S. . I shipped through a small box-wrap N ship store . Long story short it was stolen at the first U.P.S. Hub . In the end I called a bunch of U.P.S. people it took 3 weeks .
And yes two U.P.S. employees went to jail .

When shipping a firearm you do all you can to protect the firearm .
Also never lie about anything it is a firearm
Old March 28, 2016, 09:26 PM   #27
KenL

Thanks for all the input

I'm traveling for business this week, and will ship it next week when I get back home. I will try FedEx again, since I did have a good experience with them the last time. I plan on bringing a copy of their regulations with me; I've already printed them out.

I find it really interesting that we trust employees at a business to be informed on what they can and cannot do, and expect them to tell us the right thing. I wonder how many times we encounter things like this where it isn't as critical as shipping a gun where the employee gives us wrong information but it goes unchallenged because we don't know any different.

Thanks again for the help!
Old March 29, 2016, 04:23 AM   #28
mag1911

I've had pleasant and unpleasant experiences trying to ship firearms through the local UPS hub.

The most unpleasant was the counter man telling me UPS didn't ship handguns to private individuals. I tell him the guy on the other end is a gunsmith. He tells me that doesn't matter. I tell him I need to see the boss.

The boss tells me they will ship a handgun but need to see proof the other end is actually a gunsmith. I have to go home and get the letter with letterhead I'd received from the gunsmith. They accept the package but you should have seen the look I got from the counterman when I handed it over.

I insured the pistol for about 3 times more than it was worth. I don't figure they would have paid me that much but figured the counterman would be high on the list of suspects if my pistol went awol, just in case he threw it in the trash.
Old March 29, 2016, 06:39 AM   #29
KEYBEAR

I insured the pistol for about 3 times more than it was worth.

If a carrier ever looses a Firearm you will need to prove the REAL value .
You will need the bill of sale or a book of values . And that is all you will get .
Old March 29, 2016, 07:41 AM   #30
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
If a carrier ever looses a Firearm you will need to prove the REAL value .
You will need the bill of sale or a book of values . And that is all you will get .
If you ever need to use the insurance for a lost item of value you will likely wish you had not shipped it, especially if you are a commercial operation. I say this following my experience working for a large international parts distributor.
Old March 29, 2016, 08:16 AM   #31
boatdoc173

I use a kinkos and do not discuss anything with anyone--period

usually the gunmakers sends me a prepaid label. I just package the gun in its case, put it in a fedex or ups box and be done with it. I do not disclose what I am shippin g unless asked directly--too many guns end up missing that way--OH and I always use 1 or 2 day delivery--like transfers do--less time in the system for something to go wrong
Old March 29, 2016, 08:35 AM   #32
TimSr

Go back, try again. If this or another counterperson makes the same mistake again, just simply say, "I believe you are mistaken. May I please speak to a supervisor. Problem solved. "If supervisor makes the same mistake, simply say " I believe you are mistaken. Can you please show me this in the official policy for shipping a firearm". Problem solved.
Old March 29, 2016, 11:51 AM   #33
DPris
Member Emeritus

Kinko's is not authorized to accept firearms, which is one problem if lost or damaged.

The other problem is not advising it's a gun, for the same reason.

You gamble every time you play games with their system.
Not worth it to me.
Denis
Old March 30, 2016, 05:02 AM   #34
mag1911

I was trying to avoid a claim. My theory was if I insure this for a bunch of money maybe they'll keep a closer eye on it or at least hold an investigation if it disappeared and not just pay me off. I figured I'd pay a few extra bucks for a little extra peace of mind.

I had another, different, go around with the same counterman. I was trying to ship a pistol to Wilson's for some custom work. Their address was CR XXX something. I find out later that means County Road XXX.

The counterman tells me that's not a real address, he won't accept the package. I tell him Wilson's probably gets/sends hundreds of USP packages so I'm sure that's a real address. He leaves for a while then comes back and accepts my package. I don't need the supervisor this time so maybe he remembered me from the time before. I insured my Commander for about 3 times what it was worth also.
Old March 30, 2016, 10:44 AM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer

I had a similar problem at a Kinko/Fed Ex. Employee was an idiot. I also had a printing job to pick up. Told the employee to keep it.

Went to another one - no problem, that manager said they would call the first and set them straight.

Now I go to the FedEx main location - it's not far and I have to go there at times for other high value transactions.
Old March 30, 2016, 12:33 PM   #36
DPris
Member Emeritus

Quite frequently the Kinko/Strip Mall/UPS Store/Other people are not aware they are prohibited by contract with UPS & FedEx from accepting guns for shipment.

If you got away with it, you got away with it.
May not always be the case.

This is a perpetual argument that always starts up anytime somebody mentions any shipping difficulty.

In most cases, it's a clerk who doesn't know company policy.
In some, it's the shipper who's trying to do it against company policy.

Lying about contents is a gamble.
Saying nothing about contents is a gamble.
Shipping in any manner outside company policy is a gamble.

You make your own choices.
I do this as a part of my profession, and I choose very strongly NOT to gamble or game their systems.
Denis
Old March 30, 2016, 01:04 PM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer

The second store manager said that as a FedEx location, they were able to take it and do it all the time. Our Kinkos have Kinko/FedEx signs for the stores.
Old March 30, 2016, 01:58 PM   #38
T. O'Heir

Listen to DPris.
If you want to complain about what a FedEx employee(A very well paid bunch. At least they are up here.) told you, call their customer service. It's not your job to train FedEx employees.
Old March 30, 2016, 02:58 PM   #39
TimSr

Quote:
I was trying to avoid a claim. My theory was if I insure this for a bunch of money maybe they'll keep a closer eye on it or at least hold an investigation if it disappeared and not just pay me off. I figured I'd pay a few extra bucks for a little extra peace of mind.
Your theory is not accurate. Insurance beyond provable value is throwing money away. They will not pay out more than its provable value, regardless of how much it is insured for. Nor does it affect how a package is handled, or how a non-delivery is investigated. For that matter, should there be a claims issue, you harm your own credibility by claiming something is worth more than it obviously is.
Old March 30, 2016, 04:06 PM   #40
rickyrick

This is truly a first world problem.
Old March 30, 2016, 06:45 PM   #41
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Nor does it affect how a package is handled, or how a non-delivery is investigated.
Having worked security at a Fed-ex distribution center, including investigating lost packages, it does,or at least did, have some effect. Not nearly what Tom Clancy thinks though.
Small high dollar packages would be packed in places that were easy to access when the truck was opened. Everyone would evacuate a brick when a $1000 plus package went missing. Search like crazy. A couple times small packages simply fell off the conveyor or ended up in a weird spot in the truck and weren't unloaded.
Quote:
This is truly a first world problem.
That holds true for all but a handful of threads I've seen over the last ten years.
Old March 30, 2016, 08:22 PM   #42
DPris
Member Emeritus

Glenn,
That's not what I've been told by FedEx.
Denis
Old March 30, 2016, 09:13 PM   #43
cjwils

Seems to me that putting a high value on insurance would attract the small number of shipping company employees who have criminal intentions.
Old March 31, 2016, 06:34 AM   #44
mag1911

My best "shipping experiences" didn't involve any carriers.

For a few years a nationally known gunsmith set up at several shows I attended. I'd hand him a pistol and he'd take it home with him. He'd hand it back to me at a later show.

No outrageous postage, no extra insurance, no drama, no nothing. But unfortunately he got too busy to attend those shows anymore. I really miss that.
Old March 31, 2016, 04:30 PM   #45
RiponP90

I will say UPS is a lot easier. That is why I only use them to ship ammunition, them and Spee-Dee. Fedex won't let us ship anything firearms related in a Fedex labeled box and they HAVE to pick it up which takes forever and costs more. Maybe it is just my local UPS but they are super easy to work with. I have to drop it off at the hub but they never question what or why but are always asking about different firearms related stuff.
Old April 1, 2016, 01:25 AM   #46
DPris
Member Emeritus

You have another FedEx where its people don't know their own rules.

I picked up three S&W pistols two days ago that shipped out in FedEx boxes & I've shipped numerous others in FedEx boxes at the nearest hub.
They have never picked up a gun, I always drop 'em off there.
Denis
Old April 11, 2016, 04:00 PM   #47
KenL

Just to close the loop on this....I dropped the pistol off at FedEx today. It was the first day I could get to it with my travel schedule. No hassles, but I did get a different employee. She didn't ask me what was in the box, just how much insurance I wanted to put on it. I was prepared with printouts of their documents, so I guess like everything it's "prepare for the worst, expect the best".

Thanks to all that weighed in on this.