The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2013, 10:31 AM   #1
bazookajeff89

Autoloading 22

I've been looking into getting an autoloading 22 to have some fun with, i was wondering if anyone had advice...and here are things i've been thinking.

The Henry AR-7 is my top runner right now, i just think it looks super cool and i love how it breaks down. I've read quite a bit on how they've fixed the reliability/jamming issue with their newer models aswell otherwise i wouldn't consider it.

Other than that I've heard quite good things about the TD 10/22 and it looks pretty nifty aswell.

Honestly my biggest factors are that it works and it looks neat, and i really like models that come apart, though thats not HIGHEST priority. what do you guys got?
Old January 31, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2
mooner

I think I would go with the 10/22. Don't know much about the Henry, but if I was to get a Henry, it would be one of their lever actions. They work and look neat.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #3
bazookajeff89

they do look really nice, the only thing is i'm looking for an autoloading, otherwise i agree, lever actions are very cool
Old January 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Woody55

The Ruger 10/22 is a fine plinker.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
CTS

Their are many good semi auto .22s out there. I think the Henry is probably a fine set up. It seems a little pricey to me for what it is. The 10/22 is probably the most supported for aftermarket parts of any rifle ever made except possibly the AR15. The Marlin Model 60 is another fine rifle that is considered very accurate.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6
L_Killkenny

The AR-7's a perhaps the worst excuse for a .22, No amount of fixing can turn them into a good gun. Just to many inherent designs issues to fix em all even if you can get em to run reliably. For decades I eye'd them thinkin they were cool too. But when it came down to buying and actually using the POS any cool factor went away quickly.

Best value is the 10/22's. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive but still the best value.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Pilot

^^^^^^What he said. Stay away from the AR-7, and stop buying guns just because you think they look cool.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:08 PM   #8
felixx

And the 10/22 takedown rules my face everyday.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Microgunner

I agree with other comments about the AR-7 not being worthwhile.
You might add to your list the Marlin Papoose take down 22 auto and the Browning 22 Auto take down 22, although the Browning can be a little pricey.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:00 PM   #10
bazookajeff89

Quote:
Stay away from the AR-7, and stop buying guns just because you think they look cool
Short answer: no

i'm not just going to blow money on anything because it has a neat look. Price, and reliability are the two biggest things i look at but to be perfectly honest, why the heck wouldn't i want a gun that looks awesome? and shoot, if i'm spending even a couple hundred bucks on a smaller gun purchase. ie a .22, then i'm going to make sure i'm spending that money on something that is aesthetically pleasing as well.

that being said, i'm getting all info about anything i can to make an informed decision, and if you look at some reviews pilot, any of the ar-7's that have the orange compartment in back instead of black and the assisted feed on the magazine have all rated very well.

Thank you everyone btw for assisting me in this, and i would like to say that while i may not be the most experienced gun enthusiast in the world i'm not being ignorant or hasty in any decision i make.

and felixx i actually got quite a bit from the thread you started so thank you
Old January 31, 2013, 02:05 PM   #11
precision_shooter

Here is the HK i just picked up last night...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 31, 2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Impreza

If you're looking for a take down type rifle look at Marlin 70pss.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:08 PM   #13
tgreening

Bazookajeff: I wouldn't be afraid to buy a Henry ar7, as long as its used as intended. It's basically an emergency rifle and I don't know that I'd want to try to turn it into my go-to plinker. I doubt they're up to the duty cycle. It's more something you're going to toss in your RFSAYUDTS* bag.

If the take down aspect appeals to you (it does to me), I'd look at Rugers 10/22 takedown. It's one of the things I was juuuust getting ready to buy when The Madness hit and now they're non-existent around here. In due time though they'll be back and I'll have one. In comparison it came out on top when I was researching. No comparison on the quality.
*Running from some as yet unimagined disaster type scenario

RFSAYUDTS
Old January 31, 2013, 05:58 PM   #14
lcpiper

precision_shooter is that an HK or a GSG or whatever clone?

I was checking out the GSG clone of the MP5SD and a piece of it broke off in my hand. That turned me right off from the sale and leaves me suspect of all GSG products now.

I need more quality then that. There are so many top line manufacturers that there is really no good reason to buy from others. Magnum research has my eye right now but they cost triple what a 10/22 does. They probably are not three times better though.
Old January 31, 2013, 06:22 PM   #15
ejb69

ruger 10/22
Old January 31, 2013, 07:06 PM   #16
precision_shooter

It's the HK MP5-22. Seems to be made really well! I've heard similar stories if the GSG clones as well.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 31, 2013, 09:12 PM   #17
rcase1234

Marlin Model 60. Very reliable and a fun little gun to shoot. I know a guy who has had his for twenty years. Admits to never field stripping it or really even cleaning the barrel very good. It still shoots great. I'm sure some peoe are gonna start flipping out about my buddy not cleaning his rifle but he don't care about it really. Just shoots it. I just say whatever. If he doesn't care, neither do I
Old January 31, 2013, 10:45 PM   #18
MarkCO

10/22s are kind of addicting. I have a few, but only one is an actual Ruger and none of them were bought as a complete gun. If cool is part of what you want, you want a 10/22. The customization is almost limitless.

If you are on a budget (under $300 or so) then try the local Pawn Shop or gun shop that carries used guns. 10/22s are plentiful. Then accessorize a bit and go shoot.

If you want a truly custom creation, there are receivers from TM, TI, TS, and VQ. There plenty of bolt, trigger, barrel and stock options. From the low end, you can be in the $350 range, high end...well north of $1K. From a box of parts, it takes me under an hour to build a 10/22, the first one took maybe 30 minutes longer and there are no special tools needed.

If you want some great accuracy but minimal customization, the Marlin 795/7000 are probably the best value in a box magazine auto-loader out there. Very accurate with good controls and a decent stock trigger.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:00 PM   #19
bigghoss

I had a Henry AR7 for a while. I always wanted one but after I got it the novelty wore off rather quickly. It functioned great, never jammed and shot where I pointed it. The trigger was terrible though. I don't have a 10/22 TD but I have a regular carbine that I added a Volquartzen Custom hammer to to reduce the trigger weight dramatically and then installed tech-sights. It was a great shooter before and now I am in love. I'd like to get a TD and do the same work to it.

Also if this craziness ever dies down you can get good 25 round mags for the 10/22 where the aftermarket larger capacity mags for the AR7 aren't very good.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:24 AM   #20
nixfix

I'd recommend you also check out the S&W M&P 15-22. Invariably, when we go plinking, it gets shot the most. No issues whatsoever and with the stock fully collapsed, it's only 30.5 inches.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:06 AM   #21
mr.t7024

Autoloading 22

Just my 2 cents. I have 4 Marlin 60's two Ruger 10-22's the Rugers collect dust.Look at all models mentioned and shoulder them,and the you will know to pick the Marlin 60. Really after U shoulder them U will know which rifle is for you! Have fun. Cliff
Old February 1, 2013, 12:53 PM   #22
lcpiper

I was just looking on Gunbroker and the Marlins are going from $125 to $180 in most cases. It would be an inexpensive way to start and you might never want anything else. It won't customize like a 10/22 but if you are not interested in all that and don't mind a 14 shot tube over removable mags then it might be the shooter you want. I am tempted just because of the price alone and the rep it seems to have with those who have owned them.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:39 PM   #23
chris in va

I had an AR-7 for a couple days. The breakdown novelty wore off after 30 seconds once I discovered the thing sounds like someone beating on a tom-tom every time it's fired. Too bad it floats, I was tempted to chuck it in the bay.

Get a 10/22, done.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:54 PM   #24
osbornk

I've had my Marlin Model 60 for years and I guess my grandson will get it after I die. It is cheap, dependable and accurate. Could well over 11,000,000 buyers be wrong?
Old February 2, 2013, 09:28 AM   #25
L_Killkenny

Quote:
Could well over 11,000,000 buyers be wrong?
Chevy/Geo sold a lot of Prisms cause they were cheap, does that mean they were as just as good as other cars?