The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 14, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1
JimDandy

Boldly Going Where Everyone and Their Sister has gone before.

So I really enjoy shotgunning, and pistol shooting. My father and brother both prefer rifle shooting. Given the range we go to, I just couldn't get as into bench rest shooting a bolt action rifle. I've figured out I can skip the "rest" part if I got an AR wtih a bipod and get something more challenging and more... involving I guess is the word, than the precursor to those shooting vices that'll even pull the trigger for you. So I picked up a Colt LE6920MP-B. I've heard of a rail section I can screw to the bottom of my MOE Forend, I've heard of bipods that mount to the bayonet lug, and so on.

I'm looking for some tips, advice, and reviews of:

A detachable carry handle I can install for dinking around while plinking from time to time.

Whether I should screw a rail section to the bottom of my forend,

replace the forend, (probably not looking for anything as involved as freefloated rails)

or use the bayonet lug mounting bipod.

The ASAP Magpul sling mounting bracket.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:52 AM   #2
4EVERM-14

I know that it doesn't answer your specific questions but for a great "Challenge" have you considered NRA Highpower?
www.centraljerseyhighpower.com/
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old October 15, 2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

I recommend mounting the bipod to your handguard to put as little pressure on the barrel as possible (with that set up) to keep your barrel harmonics consistent.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Eghad

if you are just target shooting for fun all of the above would be acceptable. If you are planning to do some serious competition then you might want to do some upgrades to a basic AR15.

NRA Life Member
Old October 15, 2012, 11:30 AM   #5
hardhat harry

As previously stated. Try to stay away from anything that mounts directly to the barrel that exerts any pressure on it. (think "freefloated" handguards...made for a reason).
Old October 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #6
JimDandy

I'm under the impression to install any free floated handguards will require taking the upper down entirely... possibly removing the front sight/gas block, and what not. More permanent alterations than I'm ready for now.

I ended up getting an ASAP and MS3 sling from Magpul, and a couple sub-$100 cheapie scopes for experimentaton, trying to figure out if I want to go the 1-4x Trijicon illuminated 50ish yard route, or a 6.5x25ish varmint 100-300 yard route.

I also found a rail that screws onto the bottom of the MOE handguard that came with my rifle so I can mount the bipod to that handguard.

As for the Central Jersey high power thing, I'd probably eventually love something like that, but for now an in between that and what my range currently allows. I'm still a bit too newbish to do that confidently yet, but my local range has... issues. Gotta find a new one, but the best choice just got rid of their trap range. Pain in the butt to find an all disciplines range around here it seems.