The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 23, 2011, 11:20 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith81
No, I am not a sworn officer. I am employed by the district and our title is District Resource Officer. In addition to a handful of us at each high school, there is an assigned "sworn" School Resource Officer employed by the local sheriff or city PD, paid for by the school district budget. There is quite a bit of gang activity and drug activity on our campus', and we are one of the largest districts in our state. I appreciate being able to work side-by-side with PD, but the reality is that we are typically the first to respond to incidences, intruders, weapons and drug searches, etc. long before PD ever gets involved.
How's your relationship with the PD? I'd suggest bringing the PD in on the discussion and, if possible, pre-prime them to support you and hopefully to proactively recommend that resource officers should wear vests when on duty.
Old January 24, 2011, 03:44 PM   #27
msmith81

Well, good news. I Just got off the phone with our Director of Safety, and it appears all the big wigs in the district seem to think wearing a vest is a prudent measure, and they are now pricing out equipping all of our guys with vests. Especially considering that it appears two of our high school students were shot in a drive-by shooting on Saturday night. Even though this took some pushing for, maybe my pushing for vests will save someones life one day. I appreciate all of the support and input I received here.

Thanks!
Old January 24, 2011, 03:55 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yep, It won't be no time and you will get to stick your thumbs in yer ears to make wiggling "Moose antlers" and blow big ol' elementary school style razzberry at that pricipal feller!
Brent
Old January 25, 2011, 02:35 AM   #29
Davey

Quote:
Well, good news. I Just got off the phone with our Director of Safety, and it appears all the big wigs in the district seem to think wearing a vest is a prudent measure, and they are now pricing out equipping all of our guys with vests. Especially considering that it appears two of our high school students were shot in a drive-by shooting on Saturday night. Even though this took some pushing for, maybe my pushing for vests will save someones life one day. I appreciate all of the support and input I received here.

Thanks!
Glad you can go back to work with more peace of mind. On the down side it took two kids getting shot to realize that a vest would be a good idea?
Old January 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith81
Well done.

It's a sad commentary that it takes a major dust-up and a couple of kids being shot to cause "management" to do the right thing. It should have been a no-brainer.
Old January 25, 2011, 03:09 PM   #31
msmith81

Unfortunately, the shooting of the teens this weekend was what helped to drive my point home. The email I received specifically said "In light of the shooting over the weekend, wearing a vest seems to be a prudent precaution". I can't wait to wear my vest at the high school I got so much flak at. I am going to feel very vindicated, not only because the administrator won't be able to do anything about it, but my co-worker that outed me told me he would never wear a vest and now it looks like there is a good chance he might be required to wear one. Take that suckas!
Old January 25, 2011, 05:25 PM   #32
EricReynolds

I used to have the same job as you and I wore my vest every day. I paid for my own as well and was thinking the same thing. I have a few different jobs in security and I always cover my chest. One supervisor I had said I'd need to get permission before wearing it on duty. I questioned him as it wasn't like I was planning on bringing a weapon to work that I wasn't allowed to have. I then told him I wanted it in writing that I wouldn't be allowed to wear my vest to work at my security job. When he asked why, I said "in case I ever get shot, either me or my family will sue you blind. The company and you personally." He backed off and said it would be ok.
Old January 26, 2011, 06:57 AM   #33
Musketeer

Quote:
Sounds like a hostile work environment to me. (In the EEO sense of the term)
Vest aside the above statement is your line of attack. By mocking you to the sturdy body he has created a hostile work environment and engaged in Harrasment. See your HR manual for how to report it. Most likely it will involve his superior. You may also want to consult a lawyer.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin