The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
bamafan4life

Russian sks ejecting problems.

I picked up a russian sks in a trade and it wasnt ejecting the guy before me had added a new tapco gas tube and it still wasnt ejecting it was cocking the hammer though, i shot it and thats what it was doing then while cleaning i noticed a recoil buffer in the dust cover i had read these could cause the wepons to short cycle so i removed it and whent and shot it today and now its stove piping everyshot, so it improved it just a little, should my next move be a new gas piston or is it possible somebody may have added a extrapower op rod spring and i could loosen it up a little bit? i just need guidance maybe theres something different about russians than others that im missing.

Any help would be apreciated
Old May 4, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
martin08

The three most common issues for short cycling are gas system leaks, chamber-to-casing resistance and spring installation.

The best way to check for gas system leaks is to plug the chamber and blow into the muzzle. A hissing with resistance to blowing is good, a "whoosh" sound is bad. Try another tube and piston that is known to be good.

Lacquer, carbon, burrs, etc. in the chamber can cause the shell casing to stick. Polish the chamber.

Operating spring in backwards. Squiggly end goes into the carrier first.

Some less common items.

1. Buffer (but you removed that)
2. poor edge or alignment of extractor
3. Some receiver cover mounts for scopes with set screws can deflect the cover into the bolt carrier when tightened down and cause drag.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:56 PM   #3
bamafan4life

I dont think its the extractor because i can put a casing in the gun and pull back the bolt and it sends it flying the operating spring is in there the right way, im going to try blowing air into it. when i have the has sytem removed and put my finger over the end the piston comes out and blow into it some air gets around the piston and vents out.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:59 PM   #4
bamafan4life

I did your test and i have a woosh sound, so im thinking piston, im taking it to a friends shop tommarrow and him and two other armorers will work on it if they cant fix it nobody can, then ill just take it and screw a pawn shop i dont like to much on a trade.