The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 31, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Your thoughts on the Shooting Chrony

Experts,

Have some questions about the Shooting Chrony F1.

1. Do you find that the device is a little finnicky when it comes to the decision to use or not use the reflectors? I used mine for the first time yesterday and I got good readings and bad readings with the reflectors on and then I got good and bad readings with the reflectors off.

2. How far downrange do you place the Chrony for best results. I had mine real close to the muzzle. I should have known better! It is now filthy.

This Chrony is supposed to work with small caliber slugs. But I find that it seems not to be able to consistently sense a .22 caliber pellet from a pellet rifle.

3. What is your experience with measuring speed of lighter caliber projectiles?

I am confident that as my experience with this device increases, I will get better at using it. I must say that the Chrony seems to be easy to use and once I start getting consistent speeds, I will really enjoy the thing.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:10 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

It all depends on the lighting conditions, clouds or bright sun, overcast is usually best. Thats why the diffuser screens are there. I have used my Daisy single pump pellet pistol to check vel and it has no problem with the .177 pellet.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Okay...Thanks

JXK120,

Thanks. This explains the erratic performance on Sunday. The sun could not decide what to do.

Also, I called them reflectors which, of course, they are not.

Tnx,

Barry
Old March 31, 2009, 03:40 PM   #4
sundance44s

I always place my Crono 10 ft away from the guns muzzle .. ..I place a piece of canvas over the read out screen ......
I always use the sky screens on mine even on cloudy days ..
I by no means bought the most expencive crono mine is the Alpha Crony .
It`s came in handy working up reloads .....So far it`s been working for me just fine ..
Old April 1, 2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

A hah!

Sundance,

There is my problem. As I said I had the thing very close to the muzzle (about 2 feet). When I got done shooting, it was nasty.

I was actually thinking about building a cover from clear plexiglas. But moving it out to ten feet should do the trick.

Thanks for the response.
Old April 1, 2009, 07:30 AM   #6
sundance44s

With black powder loads you`ll still need to cover the face of the crono ....even at 10 ft it can make a real mess on the crono face ....
But 2 ft is way too close ......the smoke infront of the bullet or ball will cause it to give false readings ..............the 10 ft range lets the bullet out run the smoke blast .
Also I always make my point of aim through the crono in the middle where to two pieces of the wire up rights connect . seems to be more consistant at that point .......
when I let my friends fire a shot through mine ....I have rule #1 you hit it you buy it .
Old April 1, 2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Chuckle

Sundance,

You saw my comment, I believe, where I reported having shot mine. The wind blew it over just as I pulled the trigger. The ball caught the very corner of the downrange end of the case. No real damage was done.

I am working on a set up where I use a photographer's tripod to hold the Chrony.

I enjoy fiddling around with the things that go with shooting.
Old April 1, 2009, 08:42 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

The tripod works great for me. Easy to setup and adjust, get a cheap one if you shoot it your not out a lot of cash. Check local flea markets or good will store's many times they will have that stuff cheap. There's also craigs list.
Old April 1, 2009, 08:46 AM   #9
sundance44s

Doc I didn`t see the post where you shot yours Ouch ........I worrie about that happening to mine .......I thought about buying one for 5 years before I made the impulse buy .....I think it was on sale or something ..
I haven`t used mine on a windy day yet ....I always set mine on an old wooden TV tray ..that is easy to fold up and carry to the range .
Old April 1, 2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

I got taken

Sundance et al.,

I got taken on mine. Paid 71.00 on ebay for one that the seller said was in great condition.

When I got it it had the wrong cable. No possible way it could even have worked.

Cost me 38.75 to get it fixed and calibrated.

I had already given the seller positive feedback because he packed it well, shipped it quick and it appeared to be new. I didn't catch that it had the wrong cable until I tried to use it some weeks after it arrived.

By that time it was too late for a letter bomb. Live and learn.

I agree that a good move is the thrift stores for a tripod. I'll give that a try.
Old April 1, 2009, 09:03 AM   #11
sundance44s

The tripod would be the way to go ........I need a tall one for my spotting scope also ......I`ll check the thrift stores myself ...good thinking .
Old April 1, 2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Good tip

YFG,

We both owe jaguarxk120 (do you really have one?!) for the tip.

Thanks to you for that.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:25 PM   #13
armedandsafe

Just to make some of you guys cry: I picked up a professional video camera tripod at GoodWill a few years ago for $2.95.

I had to take the head off and install a bolt and locking nut in it, but it is very solid for my Chrony. I also use it for the 400mm lens when shooting the camera.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old April 1, 2009, 01:28 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

Yeeeowwwieee

Go ahead on Pops!