The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2010, 09:49 PM   #301
CrustyFN

Quote:
IllinoisCoyoteHunter, are those lead muffins I see in the lower left corner of this picture? I use a muffin tin as an ingot mold, but you're the only other person I've ever seen that also has a collection of lead muffins.
Everybody loves lead muffins.

Old March 1, 2010, 10:28 AM   #302
shakes

Go'in Green

My cave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.jpg (181.6 KB, 1033 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (247.0 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (132.4 KB, 715 views)
Old March 1, 2010, 11:37 AM   #303
gtullar

Rich???

Good Morning POLSKA

I'm doing ok but by no means rich. I rent my house, truck and DVDs but my Dillon Press I purchased. I selected Dillion for to primary reasons. First, it's the top of the line in my book with it's No B.S. replacement warranty (Mr. Dillon's headquarters and helicopter pad is a 1/2 mile from me... very handy if needed). Second, because I shoot a lot the cost savings paid for my press the first year... THE FIRST YEAR!!! So if I ever have a problem with it over the life of the pree (or if I go first) it's covered. Why do people buy Craftman or Husky hand tools? Because they may cost a bit more up front but the tool will perform or be replace for life.

I also bought an RCBS Partner Press for $59 when wanting to build something special or "undo" something not so special... we all make one of those from time to time.

So, I respect your observation due to the initial cost of the Dillon presses. Reloading and shooting IS my hobby. I don't own a hot rod, snowmobile, motorcycle, boat, I don't gamble, smoke or drink a lot... when I'm not raising my family or executing a "Honey Do" list I'm hugging my Dillon! Ha Ha

Welcome to the Forum, it's always fun to meet new arrivals.

Thanks again,

Your friend,

Greg

Man Cave (no girls allowed) 008[1].jpg
Old March 13, 2010, 09:54 PM   #304
TRguy

Time to post some more pics of your reloading set up, this thread needs life

Old June 14, 2010, 07:03 AM   #305
Ronno

Here is my small area I have for right now… I am in process of a garage being completely rebuilt and a 10X16 room built inside just for my reloading equipment.

So I took a small part of our storage room in the basement and converted it over for this for now…

I have a Lee classic turret, Dillon RL 550B with case feeder, RCBS Pro 2000, Hornady L-n-L with case feeder, MEC 600 Jr and MEC 9000GN… Plus most of the Hornady accessories including the L-n-L electric Case Prep Station, manual case trimmer, their GN350 digital scale.

On backorder from Hornady is the concentricity gauge, the sonic cleaner and their Auto charge system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCBS & Hornady Setup (2).jpg (113.9 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg MEC & Dillon.jpg (124.0 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg Hornady cover.jpg (112.5 KB, 525 views)
Old June 14, 2010, 07:09 AM   #306
Ronno

a few more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dillon & LEE.jpg (145.8 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00477.jpg (85.1 KB, 518 views)
Old June 14, 2010, 11:25 AM   #307
flashhole

So what do you like better, the Hornady or the Dillon?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 14, 2010, 11:38 AM   #308
Mike-Mat

Ronno: WOW! Nice Setup.
Old June 14, 2010, 04:36 PM   #309
RWJOHN

Here's my modest setup. The bench is very mobile which came in handy during a recent move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert's - Guns 024.jpg (236.4 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg Robert's - Guns 027.jpg (240.5 KB, 498 views)
Old June 14, 2010, 04:38 PM   #310
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Well, Flashhole, ------ that will depend on who you talk to.

I read it both ways, some of the crowd won't admit to owning anything if it is not blue.

Some I have read, have had and like both. Some have had both and like Hornady. Some have had both and returned to Dillon.

I have used single stage RCBS since the 60s, and tumbled for my first progressive late last year.

It sets proudly on my bench, and see no reason to change or doubt my purchase.

I really considered a progressive press for two reasons, I had a pile of Cabela's points, and Hornady was at that time sending 1000 "free" bullets with the purchase of a new LNL progressive.

It was dollars that decided for me, with the Hornady being far, FAR!!!!! less of an investment, plus much cheaper after the fact, for caliber changes etc..

Is my Hornady better then the Dillon? Maybe, maybe not, but more then likely equal with it's own querks just like the big blue one.

Have seen and heard many over the years, who only own/buy the best, at least in their opinion.

I'm that way with most Lee products, buying only limited and very specific products in their line. Some/many will disagree. Their choice!

Will you be happy with a Hornady LNL progressive? I think so, but if you have a history with a single stage, be aware there is a sizable learning curve ahead no matter what your choice.

Both Hornady and Dillon will support their products.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old June 14, 2010, 07:19 PM   #311
Ronno

Flashhole... Well I have to say I wish there was ONE machine that had the best of all these units put together... but since there is not, I had to get one of each...

I would have to say that the Dillon is babybutt smooooooth to operate and the Hornady is faster... As far as which is better, I guess it is up to what you want, ease or fast...

I am glad I have both...
Old June 14, 2010, 07:22 PM   #312
Ronno

Mike M... Thank you... It is a challege to get all this is such a litter area for now but I THINK I got it all worked out...
Old June 14, 2010, 10:30 PM   #313
Lazy R

Okay, I'll dive in. Here's my little corner of the basement.

Old June 15, 2010, 12:06 AM   #314
DocAitch

Here's mine. The lower bench to the right is the third generation, the taller to the left is the second generation. Putting the step plugs in the center of the bench and using C clamps gives better support for the rear of the press mounted on 2x6".
No machining skills and only basic rough carpentry skill were required to build this bench. There is literally 3 minutes between shot #4 and shot #5 below.
DocAitch

Shot at 2009-11-13

Shot at 2009-11-13

Shot at 2009-11-17

Shot at 2010-05-16

Shot at 2010-05-16
Old June 15, 2010, 12:47 AM   #315
Ronno

Very nice "Man area's" as my wife calls it...

Looks good guys...
Old June 15, 2010, 11:14 AM   #316
COSteve

Here's mine and contrary to most, this is the way it looks like this all the time. My setup is in our finished basement and so I keep it cleaned up. I started with a 550B and then upgraded to an XL650 w/casefeeder a 4 years ago.

Note my 'Wall-O-Brass with most of my empty cases Yes, those are pretzel kegs I use to store my empty brass and no, I didn't eat them all myself.
Old June 15, 2010, 12:50 PM   #317
Mike-Mat

Had to put a new top on my bench because it was flexing when I used my new Loadmaster press. Bought a nice piece of Oak veneered plywood and put 3 coats of Lindseed oil on it. I wanted to seal it so it wouldn't stain. Now it looks like furniture. The front 14" of the frame top are solid 2x4's for added support to the top.

I keep my powders and extra shells in here...

I recessed the Loadmaster and mounted it with 3.5" lag bolts.

Like most things, it's a work in progress.
Old June 15, 2010, 01:25 PM   #318
Mike-Mat

DocAitch: The "plugs" are a good idea.
Old June 15, 2010, 03:50 PM   #319
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

When I put in my current loading area in what is the wife and my common area - easy chairs, TV, stereo, etc. -, I attached the frame to the wall with long screws through the sheetrock and into the 2X6 studs. Then one layer of screwed and glued plywood onto the fraame and a second layer also glued and screwed.

Then because the work area is about 12' long, I have knee braces about every 4'. This work area goes no where!!!!!!!!!!!

I have plans to build in drawers under the bench, at which time the knee braces would be removed.

However, and the best part of it is, there are NO, none, zip, zero holes or cut outs in the table top formica.

All loading tools are mounted to the under bench receiver tube system which allows for changing tools, adding tools, etc. or having none at all and all with smooooooothy, finished and oak trimmed bench/table.

I am pooter challenged as to posting images, but will gladly send images to anyone that wants to send me their "E" address.

Wish I could lay claim to the receiver system idea. Can't, but it is the best system, bare none, of anything I have ever seen anywhere, even among all the goods ones posted on the forums.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old June 15, 2010, 08:20 PM   #320
Ronno

Crusty
WHen you post typing, below the button the says "Submit Reply" is one that says "Manage attachments", click that and then where it says "browse", click that pick which photo you want... then upload... it will be in the post them... then all you do is hit the submit reply...

Hope that helps
Old June 15, 2010, 09:07 PM   #321
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Ronno,

Thanks, but it seems like where I break down is my image file size and in spite of all the net help, I still can't get it figured out how to get that taken care of.

A friend was telling about their grand child who is still at the level of saying mama, dadda, and no, but can go to the TV and DVD player, turn them on, put in a DVD, and make it all work.

That is why I need a four year old around here!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old June 16, 2010, 03:59 PM   #322
floydster

Crusty, ok, enough fooling around, we need some pic's!!!

Floydster
Old June 16, 2010, 04:05 PM   #323
Mike-Mat

From your private message, I thought you were going to send me some pictures to post for you. You've got my email. Send'em up!
Old June 17, 2010, 12:37 AM   #324
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Sorry Mike,

I tried last night, and no luck then today was busy and didn't get em out.

It is on the list for early Thursday, BEFORE I even get to use my brand new arrived today LBT boolit mold.

Seems like every time I try to send photographs, it is a learn it all over again process.

So, if I can't get the file images I have sent out, I will take some new ones.

Keep after me and don't give up.

Boy do I need a four year old to help with the pooter!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old June 17, 2010, 03:03 PM   #325
Mike-Mat

These are pictures from "Crusty Deary Ol'Coot". I told him I would post these for him.

This is the most interesting mount system I've seen. I'm assuming he's a machinist/welder, of at the very least, a handy guy in the shop. I would be very interested in a mounting setup like this.

http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/028.jpg
http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/035.jpg
http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/055.jpg
http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/056.jpg
http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/060.jpg
http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/061.jpg
http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/063.jpg
http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/065.jpg