The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2000, 06:16 PM   #1
posigian

I am so new to this that I dont even have my press and other equipment set up yet. I am still trying to get my "bench" together.

I have been doing a LOT of reading. Here and on TFL. What I have not been able to read too much about is sizing.

When, how, why, & whats the differance between FL sizing and just neck sizing?

Does neck sizing only require a seperate die for this?

My 30.06 is the only bottle neck I plan to reload at this time.

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA
Old October 11, 2000, 11:13 PM   #2
alan

my ealier answer went astray, try it again.

1. neck sizing resized only the case neck, as per the name. Uses a neck size die. Easier on cases, in theory at least, lubing of cases not necessary.

2. Full length sizing resized the entire case, neck, body and moves the shoulder back also. To much of this last is not a good thing, shortens case life, and can create an "excess headspace condition", which can be dangerous. The resizing die normally furnished with a 2 die set, is a full length sizer, usually necessary for use in self loading rifles.

3. With bolt guns, set the case shoulder back just far enough to allow fairly easy chambering, .002-.003", a little caming of the bolt won't break anything. It depends on what one considers a "little caming", and the sort of shooting you are doing.

4. For a self loading rifle, you want easy chambering, adjusting the sizing die is a "cut and try" proposition, though there are gages available.

5. I assume you have at least 1 reloading manual, it should address die set-up, with illustrations also.

Personally, I think the 30-06 is a fine round, one with which one can do most anything reasonable, and a lot that isn't quite reasonable too. Hope the foregoing helps.

[This message has been edited by alan (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old October 12, 2000, 01:03 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've been reloading the '06 since 1950.

I have found no problems whatsoever with neck-sizing only. If scrounged brass will chamber in my rifle, I don't bother to full-length resize. I do a full-length resize only if I find brass from somebody's rifle which has a larger chamber than mine...

You can neck-size with an FL die. Just don't screw the die down into the press all the way. Set it where the neck is sized for roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of its length.

After you've reloaded the same brass for a dozen or more times, you can then consider annealing (softening) the brass; it work-hardens with the resizing. But come back after you've done some organizing, loading, and shooting.

, Art