The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2002, 09:40 AM   #1
ruger357

Almost got rid of my 870.

I almost traded my 870 for a handgun. The 870 is an old wingmaster that I bought used a few years ago. It is in 98% condition. The reason why I wanted to sell it is that I broke my leg in September had surgery and I have two plates and twelve screws in my leg. Needless to say I can not go hunting. When I was packing the gun up I had a change of heart, I looked at my son and decided to keep it. Maybe in a few years I can go hunting and bring my son, and that is priceless.
Old December 13, 2002, 10:34 AM   #2
HSMITH

Good choice!!

I bought my son a 20 gauge when he was about 6 weeks old (as far as my wife knows LOL), and will have to buy him another when he is old enough to shoot because I could not resist shooting it. It is my favorite now!! When he can go hunting with me I will be in heaven!
Old December 13, 2002, 11:05 AM   #3
DAVID NANCARROW

ruger357
Hope that leg heals soon for you, but if it doesn't, there is some bird hunting which requires little to no walking. I'm missing a leg and can't walk so far, so I have a fast couple of kids and a slow old dog to make my day
Old December 13, 2002, 11:26 AM   #4
ruger357

Thanks Dave.
Old December 13, 2002, 01:22 PM   #5
CaptSkip

Lots of classics out there with which you just hate to part company. Your 870 will mean a lot to you and your son. I sold many a HG and rifle when my kids were small (for saftey's sake and to appease my wife which insured MY continued health and well being). I should have bought a bigger safe, for I dearly miss them and their increased value.

Hope your leg gets back to 100%. And just think of all the fun you'll have at airport security. "Please empty you pockets of all metal and go thru again."
Old December 13, 2002, 02:16 PM   #6
DAVID NANCARROW

got so disgusted with airport security that I finally hit the release button on my prosthesis and hopped through the x-ray. The idgit was still standing by the machine holding my leg with an open mouth and I had to ask her for my leg back. Yeah, I feel safe.
Old December 13, 2002, 07:51 PM   #7
nygunguy

I did get rid of mine

I don't know too many people who don't love their 870's btu I hated mine. I bought it for deer hunting and got sick of the deer laughing at me as they ran away unscathed. I traded it in for a 1300 Whitetail special and haven't missed a deer since.
Old December 14, 2002, 12:26 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

(Wiping spewed coffee off monitor)....

David, it's a miracle they didn't take it as a possible impact weapon. Thanks for that mental picture. I've a little metal in me and trip the detector going through. I usually just back up to the person holding the wand and tell them to give me my thrill.

Ruger, I recall the guns I've let get away from me more than the ones I've had to pass on getting.
A family 870 is a practical heirloom that can feed and protect your descendants for generations.