The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 30, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Inline experimentation at the range.

After reading a few threads here and there. I've notice those who prefer a inline. Many say its their preference and/or their manufactures advice to use pre-measured compressed powder pellets in their rifle. Along with a suggested bullet. Which is fine and dandy. But those others who have deviated from that advice and found a better way too achieve much better performance from their inline.

1.What have you discovered in experimentation with bullets, projectiles, and other powders that makes your rifle more accurate?

2. Do you think the benefit of such experimentation was worth the additional out of pocket cost to find its sweet spot. In regards to your rifles accuracy preference? (bullet /powder)

Being a traditionalist rifle shooter. Inline rifle shooters are intriguing. As those who prefer inlines often accept so so accuracy with one bullet one powder only usage. Where as traditional rifle shooters find many sweet spots concerning their rifles potential preferences.

S/S
Old May 30, 2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Newton24b

well experimentation is a tad diffrent when you are using an inline. most people who use an inline refuse to use anything other then a bullet that costs typically 2 dollars a shot, just for bullet and sabot. powder being extra.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well Newton24b perhaps your right.
I've experimented with one of my traditional rifles and its ability to shoot sabo bullets just to see if indeed they would work. I made my sabo bullet comb's up from components I have available which cost no where's near what a store bought one cost. But undoubtedly preformed just as well as a store bought.
In the past I've bought some of those old T/C Break-a-way sabo cups and cast a Lyman #2 formula 44 cal 240 grain bullet for it. That combo. They have proven to work as slick out of my Renegade 54 cal w/ its 1-48 twist probably as well as any other inline now available. {Well except for that Savage smokeless powder using rifle maybe.} Pretty good down range accuracy & performance I experience in my use of them.
What I believe to be a problem though. So many inline shooters choose not or don't have room to cast their own lead. So they pay the going price what a bullet manufactures wants for his pre-made up products. Expensive Yes. Limited range time Yes (more than likely because of the cost factor.) Being old school I prefer that old round ball challenge like so many others. Cheap or reasonable shooting costs Yes. More Range time Yes defiantly. Any how. That's how I perceive things to be.

S/S
Old May 31, 2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

All a you guys....

What kind of MV are you getting from sabot format bullets in comparison to round balls?
Old May 31, 2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

1650-1700 verses 1750 or 1800 with round ball. The only betterment between the two I've noticed was the sabo/bullet comb's ability to hold onto its (tighter groupings) at longer distances. As both projectiles were near the same weight with a slight difference in their B/P charges Doc.
But the big flat meplate seen on a 44 cast offers somewhat better terminal devastation than a round ball in most circumstances I believe. Especially so at long distances. {100 plus yards.} But I still believe in big game situations where the shot isn't over 75 yards a 54 round ball is more than sufficient in that scenario. That big heavy ball the 54 shoots has allot of kinetic energy going for it at that distance I'm quite sure along with overwhelming wallop when it hits something > anything that come in contact with it period.

S/S
Old May 31, 2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Thanks SSM

My cousin took a 210 lb buck in PA with a .45 cal but I don't know what projectile he was shooting.

He is an excellent shot and can put a bullet where he wants it. I am fairly certain the shot was between 50 and 75 yards.

Next time I am up there I will ask him about the bullet. He is a pretty simple guy and I am guessing it was a bullet like a REAL which he bought. He doesn't cast his own. But these are only guesses.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Those who shoot those Real bullets like them. Nice size deer your cousin harvested with the Real also.
My primary big game B/P deer rifle is a 45 cal T/C Hawken. (little or no kick to this old guys shoulder is much preferred these days) Again my shots are confined to 60-70 yard ones. Usually the animal is out in the open broad-side to me. I do have one of those Green Mtn's {Long Range Hunter quick twist} stainless barrels for my 45 Hawken. Its a simple drop-in replacement barrel. But I don't really care to use it. Oh it will shoot any 45 cal projectile an inline will shoot. And do so really well. But I haven't found a need to use it in my hunting situations. Nor do I take it to the my Club Range for target practice. Doc I've got that LRH barrel so tuned to my rifle with its sabot/ bullet & powder recipe. It's actually boring to shoot if you can believe that Sir. Any~~way.

S/S
Old May 31, 2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Pahoo

Lots of food for thought !!!

Quote:
Inline rifle shooters are intriguing. As those who prefer inlines often accept so so accuracy with one bullet one powder only usage.
I personally do not find them, all that intriguing and in most cases, just stop when they attain acceptable performance. A few and not most, set the bar very high and have invested much in obtaining certain goals. ....

PERFORMANCE
That is really what we are talking about and the definition is clear. Performance is meeting or exceeding your own expectations.

I teach and promote all M/L's and Traditionals are my passion. In-Lines, not so much. Round balls are very forgiving and fun to shoot but they do have limitations and that is where my conicals and sabots come into play again, depending on the performance I'm trying to achieve. The furthest deer-shot I have ever taken, was at 125yds. with a scoped In-Line, 240grn sabot cast pistol bullet.

Quote:
1.What have you discovered in experimentation with bullets, projectiles, and other powders that makes your rifle more accurate?
There are many but the one that comes to mind, is putting a bore-button or wonder-wad between the powder and projectile, regardless of charge. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
BirchOrr

I am in a unique and lucky position. I live 3 miles from a local BP shop and have known the owner since I was a kid. He is not an "in-line" kind of guy. He obviously wants to stock various sabots and powders for customers who want these items. When something new comes out, he gives me a package for testing so he can speak with his customers with product knowledge. Over the years, I've tested everything ever made for in-lines and also loose powder vs. pellets etc. in various in-lines. For testing, I use a CVA Accura and a T/C Triumph. Reason being, these are the most commonly used brands by his customers.

Quote:
Accuracy is half of the equation, the terminal performance of the sabot on game is also critical.

Quote:
2. Do you think the benefit of such experimentation was worth the additional out of pocket cost to find its sweet spot. In regards to your rifles accuracy preference? (bullet /powder)
Tough question! You can never go wrong following the manufacturers recommendations to start out with. CVA's like Powerbelts and T/C's like ShockWaves (Hornady). The only sabot I've found that both rifles like is Barnes. They are the best available (at this time) for accuracy and terminal performance. Solid copper, maximum expansion and zero fragmentation. They are expensive. $31.00 for 24 sabots. Both rifles like 250 gr sabots.

In testing I use T7 Magnum pellets (2 pellets, 60 gr each 120 gr total). These rifles CAN shoot 150 gr BUT... 150 gr powder cannot be completely burned in a 28 inch barrel. Also there is minuscule difference between loose powder and pellets. In testing, AND in the field, the barrel is swabbed with 2 or 3 wet patches and several dry patches between shots. Every shot is the same as the one before. Tested "White-Hots" and found no advantage. They still require the same cleaning between shots, only the residue is grey instead of black.

Doc's question:
Quote:
What kind of MV are you getting from sabot format bullets in comparison to round balls?
With the above mentioned combination, the MV is just under 2050 FPS. IMHO, this is the best you can expect at this time with what's available. I have not tested round balls.

In this pic, these 4 shots were taken with the Triumph at 150 yds with the barrel resting on a window sill. Using the above "formula". I had one flyer which was me... not the rifle. I hope this saves you guys time an money, but you can do your own testing and burn powder!

I included the Black Diamond in this pic to show the leather scope shield. With it's bolt type action, the shield keeps the burned powder off the scope.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...