The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 22, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
sigcurious

Attention Nevadans: SB 221

SB221

In case you have not heard, SB 221 has passed the senate and is heading to the assembly. This bill if enacted would require all transfers/sales to go through an FFL for background checks, and would make changes to the way mental health issues are handled

While CCW holders would still be exempt from having the check actually run, they would still need to go to an FFL for the transfer/sale and complete a 4473.

Please take the time to read the bill and send your assembly person and the governor your opinion.
Old May 22, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Et tu, Nevada?
Old May 22, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

You can thank the actions of the LA gangbangers who have taken over the LV drug trade and the trouble that has been caused because of it. When I lived in the northern part, we didn't have that issue. Of course, one felon selling to another is not going to be done via a FFL, so it just another feel-good law put in place by the Democrat majority from LV
Old May 23, 2013, 04:06 PM   #4
sigcurious

Unfortunately, us too. Right now my primary concern is that if the the vote is similar in the assembly as it was in the senate, a party line vote, it will make it to the governors desk. Our assembly is about 2/3s D vs the senate being almost 50/50(11D/10R). Sandoval's history is not long enough to determine whether or not he will sign it, which is worrisome.

As I become more familiar with the bill it just grinds my gears more. The checks for private transfers will be run through NICS instead of the DPS like new sales here. However, even though NICS is free there will be a $30 charge for the transfers(the charge for a new purchase is only $25). Additionally, even though CCW holders are still exempt from the actual background check being conducted, we still get charged the fee. It is unclear to me at this time, whether the state is merely dictating the amount the FFL can charge for the service, or if they will be collecting the fee themselves. I wouldn't mind so much paying the FFLs for their time, but given its a set amount and not a limit, I suspect the state will be collecting the fee.