The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 4, 2011, 10:24 AM   #26
kraigwy

Looking in my crystal ball, I see the prices of SKS/AK going up.

I'm not basing this on idiotic zombie, or gun grabbing fears, but a legit demand.

Here's my reasoning. We all know, (even if some wont admit) that they are not accurate, compared to ARs, M1As, etc. You never see them in HP or other serious matches.

Looking in my Crystal Ball, I see a change. We all know of CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Programs, but did you know the CMP has a Modern Military Program, (see CMP 2011 rule book). When it catches on, you're gonna find rifle matches for the modern military rifles such as the SKS & AKs. They will be competing against similar rifles and not Garands, Springfield's or National Match ARs & M1As.

When this catches on, look to see the demand, and prices, skyrocket.

Just look at what happened in the new Vintage Sniper Rifles programs. Prices on the scopes & other equipment for these rifles have gone through the roof in the last couple years.

I see the same thing happening to the SKS/AK in the future. If you want one I'd suggest not waiting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 6, 2011, 10:50 AM   #27
White Tiger

Simple Gas System Fix

chack's post caused me to remember that I'd heard this somewhere before - AND that I'd read about a pretty simply fix on an SKS board (where the legendary Kaavi holds court - he's the guy who has taught himself the art of improving the SKS trigger group, engineering countless variations of SKS rifles, back to Simonov's intended design).

I went back there and found it rather quickly - anyone with a Yugoslav who has been burdened with this problem may find this very inexpensive cure, useful (may have even been posted here, I just remember where I read it):

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.0

(...try doing some home-made improvisation on an AR... )

Anyway, hope it helps!
Old August 6, 2011, 11:08 AM   #28
dean1818

In North Texas I see Chinese SKS at $325 to $350

$400 at local gunshows

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old August 12, 2011, 01:19 AM   #29
Ruger Packer

I bought 1/2 a dozen back about '91. All were 1954 milled Russians. IIRC, they cost me (I had an FFL back then) $300. I sold 4 and kept 2 for myself. Eventually I gave one to my son and sometime around 2000-2001 sold mine for $125. Sure wish I had kept it!

Recently bought a Mosin-Nagant for $90 OTD.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:24 AM   #30
hivoltagefx4

I just paid $400 for my Russian Tula all matching numbers in great shape! It's not a refurb either. Considering what the prices for the Chinese and Yugo SKS are going for, I am hoping that I did well. Mine came from a collection that belonged to someone that had it for many years. I sure wish I could have got one a few years ago when I heard they were around $100, but it is what it is nowadays. Who know? Maybe 50 years from now when my son owns all of my guns it might be worth double??