The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Winchester stocks and model?

In bad need of a Winchester 1400 forearm (and stock so they match). My forearm cracked, looks like it may have been heavily sanded inside for some reason by the original owner and it didn't fit very tight. The op-rod cracked it while shooting skeet. I can't find anyplace that has them both...only found one place that has the buttstock. But no 12 ga forearms (or any for that matter). Would like to put something a little nicer on it maybe....like walnut or something. Anyone have ideas?

Also I don't know if I have the 1400 or 1400 MKII, Not sure if it matters as far as parts fitting. Mine is a late 80s early 90s manufacture. Has a vent rib barrel and more modern (and less cheesy than the old "scrolled" ones) checkered birch stocks. Would it say MKII someplace if it was, or can you tell just by looking at it?

Here she is:
Old January 26, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
PetahW

Bob's Gun Parts lists both in stock:

http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/

Old January 27, 2013, 10:00 PM   #3
BerdanSS

Thanks for the response, While they have the stocks....the forearm looks like the old model type.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:07 AM   #4
olddrum1

Have you given thought to actually glueing it back together?
Old January 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, IMO anyone judging someone's inventory by viewing a website listing or picture sampling ILO actually communicating with the parts vendor is doing themselves a dis-service.

AFAIK, NOBODY post pics of their entire inventory, just a sampling.
They may/may not have what's wanted, but it'll never be known for sure w/o hearing from the horse's mouth.

Old January 28, 2013, 07:04 PM   #6
BerdanSS

olddrum1 I would have, but since the forearm seemed to be sanded heavily inside and fit very loose to begin with...I figured re-gluing and having a glued, poor fitting forearm, was kind of a moot point.

PetahW About 90% of online vendors do...And that one has those specific forearms....which they even have listed as the old type.

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM.