The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 15, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
txbirddog

Attending a Tactical School

Going to a tactical school and was wondering if I should take my carry pistol, Kimber Ultra Carry CDP or my nightstand one which is a Beretta Px4? Please give reasons. Thank you for your input. Jim
Old February 15, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2
allenomics

I have two thoughts. If the main focus of the school concerns tactics outside the home, take you carry pistol.

However, since you'll probably fire well over 1000 rounds, I'd bring a gun that I really like that uses a less expensive round, like a 9mm.
Old February 15, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Dwight55

allenomics makes real good economic sense.

However, . . . what is the main focus of the school? CCW? Take the Kimber!

Home defense? Take the PX4!

Take the one you are more likely to use in the most of the situations they offer, . . . then take the ammo out of your wife's Christmas account, . . . I mean after all, . . . you are doing this for her, are you not

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 16, 2008, 02:07 PM   #4
ocharry

take them both,,,you could have a failure,,,and you might find you like one over the other and make a change so both are the same,,,,,so you don't have to think about which one you have in your hand in a stressful situation

things can go south pretty quick when the s#%^ hits the fan,,,and thinking about what gun i got in my hand could get you killed

my .02

ocharry
Old February 16, 2008, 08:23 PM   #5
hecate

I agree with ocharry. I always take at least three guns to gun school. When you're running through 1000 to 3000+ rounds in four or more days, Murphy follows you around very closely.

Ideally they should have similar manuals of arms. For example, I would take my two Kimbers and my Wilson Combat to the same class, but not my Browning Hi-Power, CZ P-01, and HK P7M8.

Even if nothing breaks, it may be more comfortable to shoot a slightly different gun for a while. Me, I just keep going until the blisters become calluses.
Old February 18, 2008, 02:57 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

Take whatever you need the most training to use well.
Old February 18, 2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Going to a tactical school and was wondering if I should take my carry pistol, Kimber Ultra Carry CDP or my nightstand one which is a Beretta Px4? Please give reasons. Thank you for your input. Jim
What class are you taking and where(how far from home)? Will you be shooting a lot or a little? Do you only own two guns? Is there someone at home that needs protection? Do you actually have a holster for your Px4?

Do you own any white medical tape?

Just curious, why is your carry gun different than your nightstand gun?
Old February 18, 2008, 08:38 PM   #8
DCJS Instructor

Here's a thought..............Why not call the Instructor and ask him.....
Old February 19, 2008, 01:37 PM   #9
chris in va

I agree, ask the school. Hey maybe they'll even let you use a 22 for some savings! Who can afford a thousand rounds of anything these days.
Old February 19, 2008, 02:11 PM   #10
txbirddog

Quote:
What class are you taking and where(how far from home)? Will you be shooting a lot or a little? Do you only own two guns? Is there someone at home that needs protection? Do you actually have a holster for your Px4?

Do you own any white medical tape?

Just curious, why is your carry gun different than your nightstand gun?
Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol (Bastrop TX @ 270 miles) 750 rounds or more. More than 2, most are shotguns. Mama has a shotgun on her side. I do have a holster for the PX4.

I have tape. Why?

Because the Px4 is too big to conceal well with my attire.
Old February 19, 2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Two of the three Thunder Ranch classes I attended had guns break. In both cases, the shooters had spares. One of the guns was taken to the local smith after class and it could not be repaired without a part being ordered. In other words, had the shooter not had a spare gun, his class would have been over during day 2 of a 5 day class.

Take both guns since you won't be leaving the wife unarmed at home, just in case one breaks.

What is the tape for? Maybe you wont' need it, but I find it interesting to see how many people appear each new day with bandaids on blisters. My guns have checkering. I am most able to have the skin rubbed/blistered off on the two segments closest to the palm (not the tip segment) of the little and ring finger on the dominant hand. Bandaids don't work worth crap. Taping over a blister results in tearing off additional skin. At the first sign of a problem, losing wrap the affected fingers with tape. You will be happy you did.

Aside from where I got them some folks get blisters on the side of the finger just under the trigger guard. Some really soft folks even get them on their palms.
Old February 20, 2008, 09:50 AM   #12
dawg23

1. Take the gun you normally carry......... 'cause this is a tactical pistol class and you'll be working from the holster for basically the entire class.

2. Take the px4 also......or some gun for a spare........ 'cause (statistically) your carry Kimber probably won't make it through the class without giving you trouble. Nothing against your Kimber, but 3" 1911's usually don't hold up in a high volume class like a Glock or a Sig would (statistically).

3. Keep in mind that you'll need at least 3 mags for either pistol. Plus a good holster (don't take a Fobus to a TR class ), plus a mag pouch.

4. Call TR and ask.
Old February 20, 2008, 10:52 AM   #13
David Armstrong

Quote:
Maybe you wont' need it, but I find it interesting to see how many people appear each new day with bandaids on blisters.
FWIW, I was introduced to baseball batter's gloves long ago, and find them great for training. You still get good grip and tactile feel plus get protection from the blisters and assorted boo-boos.