The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
magstang1

Pistol dies: Lee vs RCBS

So I have two brand new sets of 38/357 dies. A three piece carbide RCBS set and a Three piece Lee set. Which one should I keep? Who uses what? I'm leaning toward keeping the RCBS. I don't hear much about lee. I also have a four piece lee 9mm set. Is it good or should I look for an RCBS set?
Old March 23, 2009, 09:08 PM   #2
jdscholer

I haven't used the Lee dies, but hang onto the carbide sizer whatever ya do. Matter of fact, why get rid of any of them. Some day you might want to have one set up for 357 and the other for 38. Trust me you will. jd
Old March 23, 2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Lee makes a decent die set. There's really nothing wrong with them. I just don't care for their lock rings. I favor RCBS over them.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 23, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Gazzmann

I have both and both are good quality dies.
My Lees are carbide, RCBS not. Need to lube casings before resizing.
My preference are the Lees, but having a spare set doesnt take up that much room on the bench.
Old March 23, 2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Sport45

The older RCBS pistol dies had the depriming pin in the case belling die. Other than that they are interchangable as far as I'm concerned. Lee makes good dies. RCBS makes good dies. Either will produce ammo that will work fine in a .357mag.

Quote:
Matter of fact, why get rid of any of them. Some day you might want to have one set up for 357 and the other for 38.
That's what I'd recommend too.
Old March 24, 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Tex S

Quote:
Some day you might want to have one set up for 357 and the other for 38. Trust me you will. jd
I personally dont load for either, but this is an extremely valid point. You would almost have to have two sets... I know I wouldnt always be adjusting those dies.
Old March 24, 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
magstang1

I was afraid I was going to get that response. I was really hoping not to spend another $60 on dies just to have them on the shelf. So much for saving money reloading.
Old March 24, 2009, 12:11 AM   #8
Tex S

Quote:
I was afraid I was going to get that response. I was really hoping not to spend another $60 on dies just to have them on the shelf. So much for saving money reloading.
What do you need to spend $60 on?
Old March 24, 2009, 07:43 AM   #9
Sevens

The RCBS die set costs more, so if you have receipts, you'll get more $$$ back when you take them back. If you are selling, you will likely get more money for the RCBS. The RCBS has a more popular lock ring style.

The Lee set has a better decapper that is much less likely to break and need to be replaced. The lock ring on Lee dies frustrates a lot of people who can't figure out the best way to use them, but I very much prefer Lee's lock ring. The Lee die set comes with the shell holder, and if you don't have the shell holder, you aren't reloading that caliber.

A lot of people also don't care for the box that the Lee dies come in. I could go either way, as long as all my dies have the same style box. If you have a Lee Turret press, you'd very much prefer the Lee boxes, as they can hold the entire turret loaded with dies.

If you do have two sets of .38/.357, you should get rid of one of them. That way, a year from now when you find yourself adjusting back and forth between calibers and wishing you had a second set, you can think back to those smart folks on the H&R area of TFL and say, "Yup, they were right, and I was cheap."
Old March 24, 2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Sevens

...and you can typically get a set of NEW Lee Carbide pistol dies (3-die set) for about $25.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:52 AM   #11
roy reali

Minor Differences

There are two things about Lee dies that I prefer. They are minor, but still help give Lee a slight edge. I like the fact that Lee dies come with a shellholder. I also like the way Lee dies are packaged.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:01 AM   #12
jaguarxk120

Ya got them, keep them, they don't eat do they?
Old March 24, 2009, 10:08 AM   #13
billcarey

Keep the carbides.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:17 AM   #14
MADISON

lee or rcbs dies

Lee or Rcbs dies?
Of the 2 die sets and 39 years of reloading experience, I choose RCBS.
Several years ago I e-mailed Lee Precision about the shortness in length of their dies. hey told me both were the same length. A short time later they anounced their 'new longer dies'. New longer dies for STANDRD non Lee press?
Old March 24, 2009, 10:25 AM   #15
P97

I have used the Lee Dies since the 60's, and started using the Carbide ones when they started making them. The Lee Carbide dies work great for me. I have a Turret Press and its real convenient to just change a Turret and not have to readjust all the dies. I just ordered the 4 die set for the 45 colt.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:30 AM   #16
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I bought an RCBS .38/.357 taper crimp seater die on eBay, for use with light loads and cheap, non-cannelured bullets. The guy who sold me the die did not include the seater plug lock-nut. I emailed RCBS asking to buy a seater plug lock nut from them (like a $0.50 part) and the sent it to me, first-class, FOR FREE! They considered it warranty service.

I've got about a dozen RCBS dies sets and a 1970's Rocker Chucker. I have one Redding die among the lot. Based on this very good experience with RCBS, I think I will stick with them. I have thought about getting a Lee collet die for neck sizing .303's, but I can do what I need with the RCBS FL die set shallowly, so I probably won't.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:46 PM   #17
BigJakeJ1s

Send back (or sell) the Lee dies; I don't like their lock rings or their seating or expanding dies. Somebody (Redding?) sells a spacer that when put under the lock ring on a seat/crimp or expander die set up for 38, will work great for 357 without changing anything. The sizing die does not need to be set differently between 38 & 357.

I like Lee Collet neck sizing dies and their collet-style factory crimp dies for rifle or bottleneck pistol cartridges (not the carbide FCDs for straight wall pistol cartridges). I also like Hornady and Forster dies.

Andy
Old March 25, 2009, 09:08 AM   #18
magstang1

Good info guys. Thank you very much!