The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2000, 10:12 AM   #1
C.J.-SIG

Can someone help me out on how i can find black talon 9mm ammo? I know they are discontinued, but someone has to have some info. on this
Old February 9, 2000, 12:00 PM   #2
Paul B.

CJ. Try the gun shows. You can usually find Black Talon ammo there, usually at exhorbitant prices. I got some in 9MM and .45 ACP just before they were discontinued. Found out that our local County Attorney said anyone using BT's wouls automatically be charged with murder one, regardless of the circumstances. He's gone, but the woman that replaced him is even worse. Just something for you to check out before you get some.
I forget what the name is, but I've seen the later version of BTs at gun shows on boxes marked "For Law Enforcement Only". They are not exactly cheap either, but you should be able to get some.
Hope this helps.
Paul B.
Old February 9, 2000, 02:59 PM   #3
TEXAS LAWMAN

BLACK TALONS were never outlawed, Winchester discontinued them because they were not PC (and I'm certain BTs posed a potential liability problem for Win). Win then made available to law enforcement a virtually identical round called Ranger SXT--for the past few years, my dept. has issued them, along with Rem. Golden Sabres and Fed. Hydra-Shoks. Now I just read that Win has redisigned the bullet and is calling the LEO-only round by another name, which I can't remember.

I really believe some of the slugs designed by Tom Burczynski (Fed. Hydra-Shok, PMC Starfire, Quik-Shok, Fed. EFMJ) are as good or even better than BTs. I've fired many of the first three--particularly like the Starfire design (and they are generally cheaper). I'm eager to try the new Federal Expanding FMJ.
Old February 9, 2000, 06:33 PM   #4
WalterGAII

Anybody who believes that any prosecutor would bring murder charges against someone for shooting a particular kind of bullet is pretty naive. That's silliness.
Old February 10, 2000, 03:34 AM   #5
Paul B.

Walter. I agree. it is stupid. But what do you expect from an anti-gun woman prosecutor who will use any excuse to railroad an honest citizen for using politically incorrect ammo?
From what I have seen here, the whole damn prosecutors office is anti-gun.
I have seen them prosecute a person for stopping a crime in progress, and letting the perps go for testifying against the man who stopped the crime. He was found guilty. I guess you are supposed to let the damn crooks take all your stuff and help them load it into their vehicle too. Whatever happened to justice?
Paul B.
Old February 10, 2000, 04:52 AM   #6
PumpBlast

Just saw some BT's at the gun show here in WA. Box of .40cal = $45 What a rip off!

My suggestion, save your money and buy the lightest weight, fastest HP for the caliber you can get

------------------
Gun control is People Control
Old February 10, 2000, 10:30 AM   #7
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Tex, they're being called Ranger SXT now, IIRC.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 10, 2000, 02:59 PM   #8
C.J.-SIG

Thanks all of you for the help i'll look into it.
C.J.-SIG