The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 24, 2006, 08:23 PM   #1
FragTek

Hogue Desert Eagle Grips - Dissapointing

So I ordered a set of soft rubber Hogue grips for my DE and I must say that I'm dissapointed in the installation kit and hardware included with the grips. The grips themselves are decent however.

The first problem I ran in to is that the included screws were two different sizes, only one side was long enough to go in to the nut bracket assembly, the other side was completely too short. It wouldn't even get to the threads on the nut. I went to Home Depot and bought some 6/32 screws that were longer and got the grips installed. After getting them installed I must say that they feel very good in my hands, nice countour and soft rubber.

I then inserted a magazine and when I hit the mag release button the mag wouldn't drop out... There are these 2 little "clip" looking deals molded on the inside of the grip thats stick out so far that it doesn't let the mag drop free, it just stays in place. I had to take the grips back off and cut off the clips with a razor knife so that the mag would drop out properly.

I just wanted to post my experience with this kit, and it was a real PITA to install and mod for everything to work correctly. After getting everything setup though, I really enjoy the feel of the new grips they're rather nice.

I also picked up a set of Millett adjustable sights for it, and I'll have those installed next week and report back on how I like em!
Old August 25, 2006, 07:42 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Thanks for the report; sorry to hear of the trouble. I've had good luck with Hogue grips, for 1911s and Dan Wesson revo.
Old August 31, 2006, 05:32 AM   #3
FragTek

I got to shoot it for the first time last night with the new grips and it makes a noticable difference on a gun such as the DE. The plastic grips were just too hard and... well plasticy I suppose. The Hogues absorb a lot of the initial recoil shock and actually make it more pleasurable to shoot (i'm trying to get proficient shooting it one-handed but the guns is so heavy it's hard to keep still with one hand).

On a side note I also got my new Millett adjustable sights installed and they are 100% awesome. After about 6 or 7 rounds of ammo I had it shooting dollar coin sized groups at 50 feet. Very happy with sights to say the least.