The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1
MadeinAmerica13

New Lubricating Oil Suggestion

I've always used Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricating Oil. But, with my recent purchase of a Smith and Wesson M&P, I've found that Hoppe's No. 9 is just leaving too much oil behind after cleaning. And no, I'm not over-lubricating I'm simply using one drop of oil on the 7 spots recommended by the manufacturer.

So, I've decided to switch lubricating oils, though I'd still like to stay within the Hoppe's family. I'm currently looking between Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil and Hoppe's Dri-Lube Aerosol.

Any thoughts or comments on either product, or recommendation for any other product?
Old August 7, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
SgtLumpy

You probably won't get many opinions on which oil is best...

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 8, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

Here we go with the add-ons....

There are a few gun care products that work just fine on the S&W Military and Police pistols. I've owned 2 so far, a 9x19mm & a .45acp Compact with no oil/lube issues.

Id look at these fan favs; LPX, Slip2000, Eezox, Gunzilla, Weaponshield, Rand CLP, Ballistol, B-C Synthetic gun cleaner, FrogLube.

I plan to get a new small bottle of the synthetic version of Hoppes #9. I've used Hoppes #9 in the past & it cleans great.

Ballistol is handy & it's non toxic/CFC free. You can use it around the shop or home also.

For sales & prices see; www.weaponshield.com www.natchezss.com www.brownells.com www.slip2000.com www.mpro7.com www.eezox.com www.gunzilla.us www.galls.com www.grafs.com www.deltaforce.com .

Clyde
PS: Brownells.com sells the Hoppes #9 de-odorizer . It's about $3.00 USD.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Bake

A T F...
Old August 9, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
riggins_83

Slip 2000 EWL and Shooter's Choice FP10 are the only things I use anymore.
Old August 9, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
bt380

For the body, I spray on the CLP, let soak a couple, then blow off w/ air compressor, then wipe off w/ those blue paper towels from auto shop. Repeat CLP/blow/wipe off one more time. Be sure to use dust mask and eye pro and keep a rag over the gun to control the blast off. For the barrel, I use Hoppes #9 to clean the barrel. Then thin layer of shooters choice grease where ever the barrel and slide has metal/metal contact. Then finally a super thin wipe of the inside of the barrel w/ gun oil of choice. Gravity won't leave drippings or an oil slick in the clothing. The guns are stored in a safe w/ humidity protection. I clean them again every 3 months when not used or after every use.
Old August 10, 2013, 12:21 AM   #7
zxcvbob

The two oils I use for guns are dexron (GM) transmission fluid, and castor oil, not at the same time. (and grease for a few things)
Old August 12, 2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Clayton

hoppes elite is an excellent product. use with confidence.
Old August 12, 2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Erno86

I like to use a semi-synthetic motor oil, silicon dry lube spray, non-explosive GunZilla for gas tubes and a wet lube spray can; that is not Rem-Oil or WD-40.

GunZilla can take a stock finish off.

--- George Orwell
Old August 13, 2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Mike38

I used to use Mobile One Synthetic 0w20 automotive oil. Recently switched to Motorkote Hyper Lube. Very good results either way.
Old August 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #11
tmorone

I've been using FrogLube CLP for about a year or two and really like it. Once it soaks into the metal everything wipes clean and I'm able to run even suppressed guns "dry."

Some other guys I know use, and like, Fire Clean.
Old August 15, 2013, 05:55 PM   #12
UncleEd

You might try Mil-Comm TW25-B.

It's used by Glock and Sig---in fact Sig includes a little sample with each new gun and the Glock armorers use it all the time. You can get it through Midway or Dillon Press and I'm sure other places.

Being a "grease" it doesn't run out of the gun. As the old commecial used to go, a little dab will do you.
Old August 15, 2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Waspinator

I have used Clenzoil; Field & Range. It works very well and does not stink up the room like #9 does (almost a pine scent.. kinda.. hard to explain). I mostly use it for my shotgun, but works great for my sidearm as well.

http://www.clenzoil.com/field__range.aspx

Just figured Id throw it out there since it is something different from what has been recommended thus far.
Old August 15, 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Garycw

New Lubricating Oil Suggestion

I use EEZOX for just about everything. Cleans, lubes & protects. And sometimes a little synthetic gun grease for slide rails & revolver cylinders
Old August 15, 2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Caboclo

I like the dry lubes. Use Sentry Smooth Kote myself. It doesn't leave any residue, and is super easy to clean. Nothing sticks to it, so cleaning is a breeze. Just disassemble, blow the dust off with compressed air, maybe run a dry mop down the bore a couple times, and you're done.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:51 AM   #16
skywag

No need for expensive "boutique" oils. WD-40 and LPS2 will be fine for just about everything.
Old August 17, 2013, 12:37 PM   #17
Ambidextrous1

Be careful about WD 40. It's sold as a water-displacing fluid, not a lubricant; and in my experience, it also displaces (i.e., eliminates) lubricating oils.

The "botique" gun oils are nice, but probably not necessary. Any petroleum (or synthetic) oil is better than running your firearm wothout any kind of lube.
Member, Fort Bliss Rod & Gun Club
Old August 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #18
timelinex

Re: New Lubricating Oil Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
I used to use Mobile One Synthetic 0w20 automotive oil. Recently switched to Motorkote Hyper Lube. Very good results either way.
Big +1 on that. If it's good for 6k+ revolutions and explosions a minute, it's even overkill for a gun.
Old August 17, 2013, 01:13 PM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If it's good for 6k+ revolutions and explosions a minute, it's even overkill for a gun.
Any decent motor oil will provide sufficient lubrication when used as a gun oil. What it won't provide is the superior corrosion protection we all expect our gun-specific lubrication products to incorporate.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:16 AM   #20
timelinex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Any decent motor oil will provide sufficient lubrication when used as a gun oil. What it won't provide is the superior corrosion protection we all expect our gun-specific lubrication products to incorporate.
Are you saying mobile 1 synthetic oil will not provide good corrosion protection?
Old August 19, 2013, 11:02 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

I'm saying that in the tests I've seen it doesn't do nearly as good a job of corrosion protection as the better gun lubricants.

Any oil will provide some corrosion protection but some are definitely much better than others.
Old August 20, 2013, 12:59 AM   #22
timelinex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
I'm saying that in the tests I've seen it doesn't do nearly as good a job of corrosion protection as the better gun lubricants.

Any oil will provide some corrosion protection but some are definitely much better than others.
I have never seen a lick of rust on any of my firearms.... But I guess living in Phoenix has its perks.

Is anyone out there really getting rust using ANY kind of oil at least? And I'm not talking about on guns that are used once a decade. I didn't think rust is an issue as long as you use it every once in a while!

My marlin 22s oiling consists of using hoppes #9 to clean it and whatever lubricity that is left from the little oil that is in that formula, is what it gets (works wonderfully this way, a drop of oil anywhere and it is a jam machine) . I use it once every couple months and still no rust. I guess it could be the phoenix thing
Old August 20, 2013, 08:42 AM   #23
campbed

I'm a Ballistol guy, but why not let science answer your question...

plate of truth series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZf1ntC8r50
Old August 20, 2013, 11:01 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I have never seen a lick of rust on any of my firearms.... But I guess living in Phoenix has its perks.
If what you're doing is working in the conditions you have to deal with then I wouldn't worry about it.

However, if you were to move (or go on a hunting trip) to a more humid environment, you might want to give some thought to using a product with a very good reputation for corrosion protection.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:56 AM   #25
ClydeFrog

or....

Drop some coin on Metalife SS C, Robar NP3+, Black T or Duracoat,
The H-D orange looks rad!