The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 9, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1
StainlessSteel215

Would you proudly display this?

Im a graphic designer by trade...and have been thinking up a concept to (subtly) show my 2A support without announcing to the world (or police) that I carry/own firearms. I took some time and came up with this. I own all rights to this image, it was not pulled from the web or copied from anywhere.

I was thinking of having a ton of them printed up if I thought that they would be sold and used by 2A supporters. So, this is my test market. Would you purchase one for a couple bucks and display one of these on your vehicle...or anywhere you saw fit? Trying to get feedback, thanks guys

Old October 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Patriot86

I would display it; but for some reason it makes me think of a sports gear emblem....not Adidas but some other major brand; I can't quite place it but you better do some research before you print anything you intend to sell if it is somewhat close to any recognizable brands symbol you might have legal issues.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
StainlessSteel215

Well it was created from scratch so no worries...pretty confident there's nothing out there like it. Are you thinking of maybe the Starter or Famous wear logos?
Old October 9, 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Tinner666

Too obscure for me. I can't tell what it is, but that's me. I can't read script or italics well either.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Gary L. Griffiths

I Like It!

Only identifies you to those "in the know."
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old October 9, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
StainlessSteel215

Well Tinner that was sort of the goal so its not in your face or obvious with the message. You dont see the 2 and A blended by the star shape once you relax your eyes and stare at it?

-EDIT-
EXACTLY Gary. Glad you agree!
Old October 9, 2012, 08:52 PM   #7
silvrjeepr

What about a Roman numeral 2 with a concrete or marble texture. Maybe even built like roman columns with a crack or two but still standing strong. Then, the letters nd beside them also in concrete or marble texture.

I'll let you know where to send the royalties when you sell them.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:58 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

My first impression was some sports team brand.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:13 PM   #9
StainlessSteel215

Yeah, it def has that sporty emblem look to it...not sure if that was intentional but its certainly got some attitude. The big question is...do you see the 2A and would you display one?

Maybe a plain white sticker would be less sporty. The black & red outline is probably too loud
Old October 9, 2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Tinner666

Took me 30 minutes to figure it out. I could only figure those 'picture in a picture' tests once in a blue moon.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Comancheseven

Looks GREAT I would display it with pride. Maybe a lapel pin.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

(a) I don't display anything -- ever.

(b) The design is too designy. From any distance or angle, it does NOT say "Second Amendment" or even "2A" to me. Too esoteric, too much emphasis on making it look "slick" rather than making certain the message is clear. What another designer whose work I occasionaly admired used to call the "slick but bad presentation."

In other words, the signal to noise ratio is very poor.

Sorry to seem caustic, but I am a trained designer and most of what I see today trying to pass as "graphic design" makes me ill. One of my bother's pet phrases is "You can't read it going by on the train," and that should be the test for ANY graphic. It should be instantly readable and understandable. If the viewer has to stand there, scratching his head while he struggles to figure out what it says -- it's a fail.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Patriot86

Figured it out; looks like a "Converse" Star.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:21 PM   #14
StainlessSteel215

Hey Aguila...not sure if that was a dig or just a general statement about people "trying to pass stuff off as design that makes you ill"....but I'm a seasoned logo & graphic designer with a 10+ years industry experience, a massive portfolio and international clients I am proud of. I take offense to that if it was a dig and assure I would smoke the doors off 90% of the Photoshop hacks these days....and most of those "professionals" who attempt to make a career out of it. Ill back that up 100% too

This was/is a fun side project. Thus the reason I'm "testing" it in here.

It is NOT MEANT to be instantly recognized, in fact thats completely opposite of the goal. As mentioned above, those "in the know" would get it after looking at it for a bit...a quiet and unspoken brotherhood of 2A supporters
Old October 9, 2012, 10:33 PM   #15
Tanglefoot

Looks like a sports team or energy drink logo. It just doesn't register with me.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:13 PM   #16
mightyoakwildlife

I'm not making a 'dig' toward you, either, but I tend to agree with Aguila Blanca's interpretation. It does bear a resemblance to the Converse branded "star". If it's only to be recognized by those "in the know", just who are they to be? Members of this Forum, who have followed this thread?

Not so sure that this would be correctly identified and appreciated by supporters of the Second Amendment. Although I'm guessing, even in today's political and sociological environment there's a better than fair chance that everyone over 15 has heard of the 2nd Amendment. Unless they have a direct link to your advertising and/or this thread, I don't see how there will be any recognition.

Unless at least some of the proceeds from sales are funneled to support the Amendment, it is likely to be nothing other than a small fashion exercise on your part, and not so likely to bring much profit. If your goal is to identify a type of secret "fraternity" of sorts, you will again limit those who would have an interest.

I commend you for your ambition and courage to approach such a project, and I hope you don't take my criticism as an offense, because that isn't my desire. I just fail to see the point in creating an unrecognizable logo that caters to such a small group. Even the Shriners, rather secretive in their own right, have internationally recognized symbols which may not be understood, but are still identified as a part of the Organization.

Again, your goal eludes me. Please take no offense, but you asked for opinions....
Old October 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #17
BarryLee

The thing is that anything designed for people “in the know” eventually becomes pretty well known by everyone. Since this symbol would be displayed by people who support the 2A and those people are more likely to have a gun in their car/home it seems like an invitation to criminals. I may be a little overly cautious, but I avoid posting anything that might attract undo attention to me or my property.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 9, 2012, 11:54 PM   #18
jmortimer

Confusing - would work for secret Second Amendment Society. No stickers for me.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:28 AM   #19
geetarman

I get it and I like it.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 10, 2012, 03:56 AM   #20
Sparks1957

I don't do stickers.
Old October 10, 2012, 04:53 AM   #21
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
If the viewer has to stand there, scratching his head while he struggles to figure out what it says
I disagree.

A logo doesn't need to be literally understandable to be effective, provided the message behind it is clear. So it simply needs to be uniquely recognizable.

There are plenty of logos that we recognise without having to "read" it. Take the Nike, or Addidas logos, or the double-c of Coco Chanel.

Same with the Smith and Wesson logo: I don't read the S and the W, I just think "oh yeah, a Smith"

For the latter two, most people register the brand it represents rather than the letters within it.

If I saw the OP's logo on a car bumper, I would recognise it as the one from this thread.

To the OP.
My only critique would be that it does bare a passing similarity to the Converse logo, and that could lead to them (Converse) getting all "possessive".
Old October 10, 2012, 05:41 AM   #22
cannonfire

I like the idea. I don't like the design. Like everyone else it looks like the converse or starter logo. What is the symbolism behind a black star?

To me it just screams sponsorship, like it belongs at the X-Games.

But I do like the idea of "in the know" stickers
Old October 10, 2012, 06:30 AM   #23
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Only identifies you to those "in the know."
I'm in the know and I wouldn't know what the hell it was supposed to be. It does remind me vaguely of the "Starter" logo otherwise I'd be totally clueless as to the meaning.

It is a great idea though, I'd just make it a little less esoteric.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:46 AM   #24
CajunBass

I've got an NRA sticker that does the same job. If it's in someone's face...OH well. They'll get over it, or they won't.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 10, 2012, 07:31 AM   #25
dayid

Looks familiar - not enough to get in trouble perhaps, but familiar none the less.

Closed Thread