The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 25, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
mfreem08

Steyr 95 8x56R Carbine

Hey guys. I've been trolling here for a long while and you all are actually the reason I purchased my first Mosin. I was wondering what the general opinion of the Steyr 95 8x56R Carbine is? I know that ammo for it isn't the cheapest out there but I have seen the rifles for $99.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:18 PM   #2
m.p.driver

Bought one years go for $35 out the door.Only ammunition available was the Austrian/Nazi head-stamped from the 30's.Nice and handy little rifle but it kicks like a mule.Accuracy was acceptable,but i didn't like having to use the stripper clips.I think that's why the concept died with that model.All and all I'd buy another just for the novelty.If only someone could convert it to say a 30-30 with a Mauser magazine.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:00 PM   #3
DennisCA

Steyr 95 8x56R Carbine

Yep thinkin" of buying one too!
How I just picked up a M44, so I have to cool it (at least for a while).

Some people have told me that it kicks like a angry mule but that makes me want one even more! The only drawback is the ammo but isn't that what reloading is for?

BTW - Do a google search and watch it being shot - lord that thing rocks!
Old October 25, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
wpsdlrg

I have considered one myself, as a paper-patch project rifle. They are neat little carbines. Since I hand load and intended to use paper-patched cast bullets, ammo costs didn't/ don't phase me. But, I decided that I did not want to deal with the enbloc clips - they are hard to find and somewhat expensive. I do think that the rifle CAN be single-loaded (as a single shot, by loading a cartridge into the chamber, then closing the bolt on it) WITHOUT using the enbloc clips, but that sort of thing is normally hard on extractors.

So, for now, I've just ditched the idea.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:53 PM   #5
DennisCA

Enbloc clips

WPSDLRG:

I saw some on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old October 25, 2012, 05:18 PM   #6
tahunua001

I've also considered them but the ammo is expensive and the enbloc clips are hard to come by. I've already heard numerous reports that the recoil is quite stiff.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
johnm1

Recoil is stiff. Fun carbine to shoot with a decent amount of history.

Don't single load these by putting one in the chamber and closing the bolt. Extractors are hard to come by and these extractors were not made to go over the rim. Single loading will eventually break the extractor. The extractor tail plays a role in keeping the bolt rotated in the 'open' position. Once you have an extractor tuned to work properly you really don't want to mess with it. If you must single load these carbines, remove the bolt, install the round in the bolt face/extractor and reinstall the bolt and close. I haven't found that the enbloc clips are difficult to find. Somewhat expensive. Upwards of $5/ea but I can always find them at a gun show.

The carbine is really a reloaders cartridge. Ammunition can be found but it can be expensive.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:01 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

I bought the Vienna and a Budapest Steyr, like them both. A local loader makes up ammo for me.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:59 PM   #9
spearpoint

"If you must single load these carbines, remove the bolt, install the round in the bolt face/extractor and reinstall the bolt and close."

This is potentially hazardous. Typically, it doesn't take much of a bump to retract the bolt head on these rifles. When this happens, the firing pin will protrude from the bolt face with full force...
Old October 27, 2012, 05:56 AM   #10
mfreem08

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to hold off on buying one as I am not a reloader. I'll probably continue looking at an SKS or add a Mosin Carbine to the lot.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
chiefr

PrviPartisan makes Berdan primed ammo. Graf & Midway sell it.