The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
OlympicArmsFan

Mossberg 500 Review

I have to start off by talking first about a Winchester Model 1300 Defender 20GA. This was the only shotgun I had to use as a comparison to the Mossberg 500 Persuader.

The 1300 Defender was and is a great shotgun. The finish on it was a parkerized finish to where the Mossberg 500 I bought is a Blued finish.

The finish on the Mossberg is just great, it has that classic look. I keep thinking back to the old movies with Clint Eastwood and others. I also keep thinking of seeing LAW Enforcement as a kid with their 12GA riding up front in their cars.

The Mossberg has that look with the Blued finish and I think that is one of the things that drew me in to it, that and I wanted a 12GA shotgun.

I went and filled out the paper work for the Mossberg 500 Persuader and as soon as the guy behind the counter let me check it out I fell in love.

I quickly felt the difference in the two shotguns. The Winchester 1300 Defender felt a bit heaver then the Mossberg 500 does. The Mossberg 500 forend feels a little loose to where the Winchester 1300 Defender felt solid.

I don’t see this as being a draw back or a big deal just something I felt in it right away. I think this is something that the Winchester 1300 Defender might have a problem with if in a combat situation and again it might not.

The Mossberg 500s have had to prove combat reliability and I can see where being a little loose might let it get by with a bit of dirt, but then again I don’t know this for fact.

I do like on the Mossberg 500 of not having anything in the way when I go to load a shell in. The door at the bottom of the receiver on the Winchester 1300 was something I think in a high stress environment may have caused me to drop a shell in a quick reload.

When I got the shotgun home I kept putting it up to my shoulder and trying my hardest to see if the 20” barrel was worth it to me and if I should have went with the 18” barrel.

I can say for sure now that I’m glad I went 20” over the 18” barrel. I for one cant tell the difference in the length for use in the house or any added weight. I also like the fact that I have a 7+1 shotgun over a 5+1.

I know that one or two shells doesn’t sound like a lot but to me it meant a lot and a factory I kept in my search for a new 12GA shotgun.

The stock on both the Winchester 1300 and Mossberg 500 are great out of the box stocks. The Mossberg feels a bit lighter then the Winchester did. The forends both feel the same and really almost look the same.

I will now move on to the trigger guard on the Mossberg. I know some come with the metal and some come with the molded plastic. I have the molded plastic and if I thought it was going to be a problem, well I wouldn’t own a Glock.

The trigger guard feels very stronger and I think its one that would take a lot of abuse to break it. I believe my Winchester 1300 had a metal guard and now looking at my Mossberg I’m not 100% sure on that.

The Mossberg came in really oiled up and that’s the first thing I set out to do when I got it home was to clean it up a bit. I have it wiped down and cleaned up and looking good.

I’m looking at it now thinking if and what I should add to it and my answer is, nothing, nothing at all.

I really like where the safety is located over the Winchester 1300 and where Remington has theirs located as well. I can see how much easier it would be if your left handed. The Winchester had their safety right at the guard just a button same as the Remingtons. I liked it but I like that I can see right after my shot that it’s a hot weapon or a safe one.

I also read on a few boards that the Mossberg 500s had a rattle to it. I have not heard it or felt one in mine as of yet. I thought I would find that as soon as I got it but nothing as of yet. This may be the forend that is a little wobble like I mentioned befor, not a big deal.

I think if your on a tight budget and I hate to put that word in with the name Mossberg cause this really isn’t a budget gun.

I looked at all the shotguns out there and asked a lot of questions. I looked at the prices locally and on the net. The Mossberg fit what I could spend and where I could spend it at.

I didn’t go locally to buy the gun as all the shops in town had used Mossbergs with a hunting barrel for $175 and that just didn’t make sense for me to do when I don’t hunt and all I wanted was a HD/SD/SHTF gun.

I started looking around on the net more and more getting my info and prices. The local shops couldn’t compete with Buds Gun Shop. This same Mossberg 500 retails in my area for $394-$415 out the door.

When I found Buds Gun Shop I was a little worried the prices where to good to be true. I had that voice in my head ask questions, find out more, don’t buy it just yet. The $296 shipped price tag was so tempting and one that might make you not ask anyone about the gun shop.

I felt good about ordering after talking with a few people that had and have dealt with them and after my local pawn shop FFL guy said he has had no problems with them. I took the plunge and waited for my order.

The process took a bit long I felt but after seeing how many orders where going out a day and talking with Buds I understood why they put it will ship in 3-7 business days. I think it shipped on the fourth day. I also ordered it on a Friday and that didn’t help me any or them.

I would recommend them again and I would order from them again. They where there to answer any and all my questions fast and without hesitation. The one guy that I talked with the most called me even after hours to answer my question and help me get my order going.

I had to wait a bit on getting FFL paper work in to them as it had expired and it took a day and half to get it in the system.

If you looking for a shotgun and want a great looking and a great shotgun at a great price look at the Mossberg 500 and take a look at Buds Gun Shop.

Thanks for reading and I will have some pictures and a range review up soon. I will not be able to shoot it till at Christmas time when I’m out in the country just me and the Mossberg.

Now if your still reading this and thinking I have something more to stay well stop reading and go shoot now.
Old November 15, 2009, 02:18 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I also do not want anything mounted to my moosberg.
The wobble is the fore end and for stealth, you will learn to just hold it with a little twist to it.
The plastic trigger group housing is very durable an i have never personally seen a broken one.
I also prefer the location of the action release over most other guns.
Glad you like yours thus far...
Brent
Old November 15, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
the rifleer

yep, i love mine too.
Old November 15, 2009, 07:21 PM   #4
carpshooter

Confession time !

I have owned a Mossberg a long time as I own four of them,but own two Rermington 870s.If it came down to one shotgun ,it would be the 870!
Old November 15, 2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Kmar40

Quote:
The Mossberg came in really oiled up and that’s the first thing I set out to do when I got it home was to clean it up a bit. I have it wiped down and cleaned up and looking good.
Don't just wipe it down. It's packed in a heavy grease to keep it from rusting. Disassemble the gun and clean it very good.

You don't want that grease/cosmolene gumming up your extraxtor or firing pin.
Old November 17, 2009, 03:58 PM   #6
StiveC2007

Give me a 80's mossberg. actually no thanks I have 2 already, both hand me downs and both from the 80's one 12 and one 20 still going strong after being used and abused by my dad
Old November 18, 2009, 04:45 AM   #7
GojuBrian

I was going to sell my mossberg 500 w/2 barrels, but after some thought (and some bill were taken care of) I decided to keep it. I've taken it rabbit and squirrel hunting twice now. I haven't shot the 18.5" barrel yet, but it stays loaded with buckshot and mounted on the wall at the top inner part of my closet.

I'm pretty happy with it.
Old November 18, 2009, 05:40 AM   #8
riggins_83

I'd take the Mossberg 500 over the 870 any day. I love the tang safety location and action release rear of the trigger guard. Have had my 500 Persuader for 11 years, never an issue.

Old November 18, 2009, 11:29 AM   #9
colostomyclown

You seem to be pretty impressed with the bluing on the Mossberg 500. Look for a real fine blued 870 Wingmaster or 870 Police. You'll forget all about that 500.

Seriously though, I'm a Mossberg guy, and even those 500's and Maverick's offer a tremendous amount of value out of the box. Fine guns indeed. I'd recommend a Mav or 500 to anyone as a first shotgun as well as a dependable utility shotgun. Far and away the best value off the shelf.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:13 PM   #10
SJoseph

Got a 500 a couple months ago

I'm very happy with it.
Old November 18, 2009, 05:46 PM   #11
OlympicArmsFan

Im happy with the finish. I was worried going from park to a blue finish if it would be something that would bother me and its not.

The fit and finish is great on it. I thought it might be dual or something but it wasnt nice looking finsih.

This 12GA will serve me well.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:17 PM   #12
VVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggens_83
I'd take the Mossberg 500 over the 870 any day. I love the tang safety location and action release rear of the trigger guard. Have had my 500 Persuader for 11 years, never an issue.
I have to say, our 1981 870 is a beautifully made shotgun but IMO the Mossberg is easier to use for lefties and righties.

Old November 21, 2009, 08:27 PM   #13
Maser

I too am a major fan of the Mossberg 500. I got mine as a belated 12th birthday present. Celebrated my 20th last month and my Mossberg is still going strong. And yeah, I like the bluing as well.