The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2009, 10:45 PM   #26
Doyle

Dang it Totaldla, now you've got me wanting a light 20 ga. I really want an over/under but I'm too cheap to pay for a good one and two snobbish to buy a crappy on. I'll probably wind up with a SxS. You can still find those for less than $300 if you shop around.
Old November 13, 2009, 12:26 AM   #27
rc

I'm relatively sure the SA20 is a repackaged CZ 720 which is a repackaged??? Huglu or some such Turkish shotgun. CZ dropped import and I believe mossberg picked them up. My CZ has parkerized finish and nice walnut stock. Was about $400, half the price of the Berettas, Brownings etc I had been looking at. I'm not crazy about the trigger group on my CZ but overall the gun has shot reliably and handles pretty well. The trigger is not on par with even a 500 and it's difficult to pop the trigger group in and out. They are respectable entry level guns but you do get what you pay for in cost cutting. I think the model 500 pump is a bit better made gun. rc
Old November 13, 2009, 08:00 PM   #28
javven

RC - I'd be all over the DeHaan 20GA then for upland.

One - a sxs is just so 'right' for upland game.

Two - I have seen and shot several examples of these in O/U and SXS and have been impressed every time. Fit and finish are up there with, IMO anyone's gun in this price range and better than most (again in this price range).

I'm a strange one, though - I'll take a pump or double over an auto loader any day. That said I do like the AL-48. Sometimes a gun just has a 'sweet spot' or fits you exceptionally well. For me - that '48 is one such piece.
Old November 14, 2009, 02:05 PM   #29
totaldla

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. This exercise has been eye-opening for me. There are a number of lightweight (true 20ga frame) shotguns available at various price points.

What I found most interesting is how often this question gets posted on the various forums. Obviously there are a lot of guys that go through this search process every year.

Well I have enough info - I just need to figure out how much money I want to part with. Take care.
Old November 14, 2009, 04:25 PM   #30
stephenkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeven09
i need to buys guns but cant ........ any suggestions to buy o good quality gun
...huh?

Anyway. I am glad I found this thread because I am looking for the same type of gun as totaldla. I've been thinking about it and researching and I've narrowed it down to either a new SA-20 or a used AL48 in 20 gauge. I did handle a SA-20 in-store and I liked it, but I have yet to find an AL48 to get my hands on.

totaldla: If you don't mind, when you do make a decision, could you update us? Especially if you buy a SA 20, I'd like to know what you think of it!
Old November 14, 2009, 11:48 PM   #31
rc

Do a search on the CZ forum for the CZ720. I believe S&W also was importing these as the 720. rc
Old November 15, 2009, 12:08 AM   #32
beetlefang

montefeltro +1