The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 5, 2009, 10:55 PM   #1
chief

NewB here wanting to begin IPSC

I recently purchased a P38 post WW2 mainly cause I have something for older fireamrs anyhow being that my budget limits me to get anything new ATM you think starting with a P38 is the wrong way to begin? or it doesnt matter?...

what was your first competion gun?
Old March 6, 2009, 10:16 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

any gun is a fine gun, but...

....you'll need some more magazines (I recommend six), and an appropriate holster, one that covers its trigger guard.

Other than that, fine.

I started with a 4" GP100.

FWIW, most highly recommend visiting your local USPSA club(s) for fun.

www.uspsa.org
Old March 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3
rduckwor

Sure, why not?

Everyone starts somewhere and with something, so give it a try.

You will need more mags as stated above and a decent holster as well.

You might consider IDPA which has a lower round count per stage and puts a defensive slant on the whole process.

Get some help so you can run the gun well and deal with malfunctions and then do the match.

RMD
Old March 6, 2009, 01:31 PM   #4
RickB

The first IPSC match I attended, circa 1994, featured a guy reloading his Broomhandle Mauser with stripper clips. So, what could be wrong with using a P-38?
When I started, I shot a G.I. Colt .45 that had been fitted with better sights and a trigger job. I had a belt-full of 8-round mags, and one, 11-round "big stick" that I'd move around on my belt so it would come up when I needed the extra rounds. Those were the days . . .
Old March 6, 2009, 10:49 PM   #5
chief

Thx for the feedback,, I bought it with 4 mags..now I need to shop for a good holster.

Last edited by chief; March 6, 2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 10, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6
mr kablammo

Some of the presentations for IPSC can go out to 40 yds. Depends on what space the club has to work with. Practice some distance shooting if you can. Also, another action pistol sport that is not so intensive on the reloading activity is Steel Challenge. Have fun.
Old March 10, 2009, 11:39 PM   #7
chief

Thx kablammo, I believe the minimum caliber without penalties is 9mm.. well for the club I belong too this is what i've been told...

But after receiving the p38 (although the accuracy is impecable) the changing of the mags is a bit of a process..compared to the 1911 and glock17 i've tried... Now I gotta convince my wife the purchase of another piece to my collection has to be part of the yearly budget..lol
Old March 20, 2009, 08:44 AM   #8
bingo46

NewB

If you want an entry level set up for IPSC, here's what you'll need:

Get a Springfield XP in 9mm, preferebly the five inch barrel, to include four extra magazines.

Try the Blade-Tech holster and at least four magazine pouches. That's give you one in the gun and four on the belt.

You can buy a competition style belt, but a stong wide belt will work for now.

Check out the web site at: www.uspsa.org

Any more questions, ask.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:16 PM   #9
chief

Thx for the feedback..

Well folks after shooting the walther p38 I realised although it can be used for competetive use I dont think I will enjoy it for long.

I dont know if its my mags or something else. It often jams when reloading a new round I have to keep pulling the mag out.

Anyhow I've been looking at the CZ's, glock's and springfields..gonna test a few at the range before buying one. So far I tried the glock 17 it's pretty smooth, fits nice in my hands. Can't wait to try a springfield they have an xd model for rent but not sure if its a 9mm.

Last edited by chief; March 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM.