The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 11, 2006, 10:44 AM   #1
Epyon

Curious about pistol grip vs. regular stock

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which do you prefer? (This cannot include fixed stocks that have pistol grips, unless it's a collapsable stock in order to have the best of both worlds.) I would imagine for a HD situation the pistol grip would be best especially if you live in or are moving through small spaces, am I correct? Also, how does one handle the recoil from a shotgun if they have pistol grip only? (I ask because I've only fired a double barrel with standard stock so far.) I look forward to replies.

Epyon
Old July 11, 2006, 11:48 AM   #2
LSU12ga

Search the forum

if you look through the forum you'll find plenty of threads about this very topic.

but to get you started...

Ive had a pg on my 870 and a regular stock (what it currently has). A pistol grip is not the best way to go, they are difficult to handle, and require a lot of bracing and preparation. If you use a stock, the gun is more familar and more a part of your body, and easier to shoot. I live in a small apartment, and i just put a short barrel on my 870, and its easy to maneuver with. The recoil is bad if fired from the hip, if you hold it up at eye level, the recoil is substantially less, but then you are holding it at the length of a fully stocked gun.

hope this helps.
Old July 11, 2006, 12:07 PM   #3
mete

The pistol grip is a " tactical" gimmick. Most do better without it .Those who are knowledgeable avoid it !!
Old July 11, 2006, 12:26 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

There have been some pretty heated debates on this one. Usualy one guy for pistol grip and 10 guys against it. I dont like a pistol grip only shotgun. Its more acurate and usable with a buttstock and your wrist is going to take a beating with a pistol grip. I do like the buttstocks that have a pistol grip built in but you still have the buttstock. like the spec ops one. Look at the military and police set ups. Those are handy.
Old July 11, 2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Fireballqp

PG vs. Stock?

I've never had any recoil issues with the pistol grip but I am a big guy. Two friends that are alittle smaller than me have fired my mossberg and had bad results though. One the grip came out of his hand and bruised his forearm. the other had swelling around the base of his thumb, so if you try it, start out with some lite ammo. maybe clay or bird shot, I use federal 7 and 1/2 shot for fun and it hardly kicks. The 00' that I keep for HD is a different story, but it will hurt more on the other end. My mossberg has protected my home for at least 12 years and I have never fired it in self defense but it has resloved a few minor problems that may have gotten a lot worse. You holding a 12 gauge is should be enough to stop most people. And to answer one of your questions, being a pistol grip has never really helped except with storage. I personally would like to have the stock in a HD situation because the butt could break a nose or something if needs be. I currently have a stock on mine with a pistol grip, not to crazy about the grip on this stock. It is not as comfortable as the grip it came with.
Old July 11, 2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Lycanthrope

Pistol grip (even with buttpad and stock).....looks cooler.

Standard stock....shoots faster.

That's my experience.
Old July 11, 2006, 03:41 PM   #7
'75Scout

I will have to with the a standard style stock or maybe a pistol w/stock set-up for control, accuracy and speed. I have chosen to use the Compstock from Knoxx. They took a Hogue stock and added a recoil reducing mechanism. It really helps by taking alot of the kick out and my follow-up shots are much faster. They also make a Tactical pistol grip w/stock that absorbs even more recoil. The also make a pistol grip and pistol grip with wire folding stock. Check out www.knoxx.com. I would also get a tactical AR style stock from www.mesatactical.com. They also make very high quality products. I have their 4-shell holder on my 870.
Old July 11, 2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pro, the PG only setup looks cool.

Con, few folks can hit a Buick with one from the next parking space.

Once upon a time I was paid to shoot PG shotguns from the hip and to train others to do so. I had to qualify to 90% to keep my instructor status. I did, but it took work.

More work in fact than it took to get most folks to a similar level with a standard stock.

Most folks who use a shotgun professionally do not use PG only shotguns.

If anyone doubts that, here's my challenge again.

We'll shoot your COF, range and choice of ammo. You can use any shotgun as long as it has only a PG. Any optional equipment including belt feed and lazers.

I'll use a stock 870. Results reported rat cheer and over on THR.

In over 5 years of posting this challenge, no PG fan has put up.

Plenty have shut up......
Old July 12, 2006, 02:42 PM   #9
kikr

The only advantage in Pistol Grip is in storage, and carrying. The advantage of a full stock is in controllability, speed, and accuracy.
Old July 12, 2006, 04:29 PM   #10
Death from Afar

Yep, thats about it. There is a slim argument that they are more easy to handle in confined spaces, but if you know how to low port the gun, I think that a full stock is easier to handle.
Old July 13, 2006, 10:08 PM   #11
9guy

You don't want to take a PG out to the range, but I think it's great for home defense.

It reduces weight and length.

Try it out, and if you don't like it, just swap it.