The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 15, 2002, 06:58 AM   #1
MichaelJay

Price check isle #870

All,

Yesterday I was offered a Remington 870 Wingmaster (left hand) he was asking $300. I looked on Remington’s web-site this morning and here is what I found: current models: 870 Express (left hand) $356.00, 870 Wingmaster (Right hand) - $569

My questions are:
1. Did Remington in the past three years offer a Wingmaster in left hand?

2. Could one of these be a special order? By the pictures on the web-site the SG I looked at looks more like a Wingmaster – it doesn’t look like an Express.

3. If indeed it is a special order or an older model Wingmaster is it worth $300? (I was told that it had never been fired. But it had recently been cleaned VERY well. I don’t know how to tell an unfired from a lightly used shotgun.)

Thanks again for all of the help.
Michael.
Old July 15, 2002, 03:58 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

According to Kuhnhausen, Remington first offered a LH WM in 1971.

As to whether it's worth $300,, that's in the ball park for a classic WM in great shape, IMO.

Examine the edges of the action bars. New ones still have bluing, ones that have been used show some slight bare metal. Same with the mag tube.

It's a minor point, since 870s do not wear out readily.

I've seen only 5 LH wms or so, not collectable on that account but definitely rare.

HTH...
Old July 16, 2002, 08:58 AM   #3
MichaelJay

DaveMcC,

I guess I should add that I am left handed and it would be nice to own one gun that didn’t eject brass or casing across my field of vision.

The SG is in mint condition, the first finger prints on it were mine. It was still in a plastic sleeve out of the Remington box.

My biggest concern is that if it is really an Express model then $300 is too high. I called around and $279-299 for a new one was fairly common. Used models in good to very good condition were $250-280 mail order (nothing locally).

I think next I will ask for the S/N and send a message to Remington and see what their records say.

Thanks for the help,
Michael.
Old July 16, 2002, 02:35 PM   #4
ralphtt

Michael . . . if it's a Wingmaster, it will have a high-gloss blue job and a walnut stock. If it's an Express, it will have a matte finish and a birch stock.
Old July 16, 2002, 04:34 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ralph nailed it.Besides the nice big "Wingmaster" on the side of the receiver opposite the loading and ejection port, the glossy blue's a dead giveaway.

If you're like the more proficient southpaws I know, the brass is but a very minor annoyance. However, I can understand your wanting a Sinistrally advantaged shotgun.

Good luck, sounds like a keeper...
Old July 17, 2002, 12:47 PM   #6
MichaelJay

Gone

"He who hesitates is lost." - I really didn't think he could sell it that fast... Oh, well. Selling price was $250.

Thanks for the information I keep it for the next Remington that comes my way.

Michael.