The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 1999, 05:28 PM   #1
Jack 99

I was reading the thread over in the General Forum about what to do with an idea for a gun and thought I'd share my idea for kicks.

For a few years now, I've thought that a double barreled shotgun with exposed hammers backed up with a .45 or .357 might be the ideal home defense set up. Quick first shot with a potent load of #4 buckshot or Turkey load, nice follow up with OO buck, just in case. If necessary, drop the shotgun and grab the .45 as a last resort. In all likelyhood, the perp is dead, dying or running like heck with a load in his pants at that point.

That said, I've never liked the look of a double barrel shotgun with exposed hammers. The design needs to be updated, the hammers could set lower in the reciever instead of sticking up like some 19th century throwback. They need to look like Commander hammers, sitting down in the reciever with some deep serrations on them for good measure.

As a final wish, if that shotgun was double action (NOT a DAO), it would be especially handy. Outfit it with a 20" barrel, and you could use it for multiple purposes (rabbits, home defense, maybe even birds).

Stupid idea? Already been done?

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Old October 7, 1999, 08:26 PM   #2
K80Geoff

Jack, the outside hammer guns are primarily made for Cowboy Action Shooting that requires this type of shotgun. Also there are shooters who like shooting "Hammer Guns" for esthetic reasons. Old British Hammer Guns command good prices and are sought after by those misguided individuals who like shooting them. The recent World Side by Side championship held and Orvis Sandanona in Milbrook NY had an event expressly for Hammer Guns.

A double action Hammer Gun would be ignored by hunters and banned by Cowboy and Vintage shooters. A hammerless gun esentially does the same thing, although the internal hammers are cocked by opening the action.

Geoff Ross