The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 16, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
pdevore

Need some help with holsters

Guys,
I'm looking to buy a couple different holsters for my P938. I need for a couple different uses so retention is important for most times. I run a commercial services company and spend 80% of my time out in the field and working which includes construction and plumbing. CCW is not a must here in Mn but sometimes it helps. I also am looking for a nice leather open carry and like the looks of American Holsters. Does anyone here have any experience with them? would their IWB holster have enough retention from friction or should I look for something with mechanical retention. I am open to all brands and realize that I will be spending a few hundred for GOOD holsters.

Thanks
Pete
Old August 16, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
mwmjones

Can't go wrong with either Galco, Mitch Rosen and Kramer holsters.
Old August 16, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
JimmyR

I have personally had good experiences with Barsony Leather holsters, and think their pancake holsters are of good quality and look very professional. They also provide good retention, and hold the gun close to the body. I own 2- one for my Makarov, and one for my CZ-75BD. They are locally made in Beaverton, OR, so you're getting Made in America.

As for IWB, I use an Old Faithful Holster for my CZ-75BD. By purchasing the Stage 3 kit, you get a holster that is of comperable quality and feel to a Crossbreed that is more adjustable for tension/retention and half the price. Again, another Made in America option.

You can easily get both and a double mag holder from Barsony for under $120, after shipping.
Old August 17, 2013, 04:08 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

My input...

I'm not sure what your tastes or style choices are but for a compact 938 type pistol, you have a few good brands to pick from.
For a custom shop or holster maker, Id contact them first to see if they can offer a rig for that model pistol & to see what the costs/wait time will be.
Many gunners & working LE officers like horsehide for holsters & gear.
See these top holster makers; Wright Leather Works, Galco, Milt Sparks, Ted Blocker, Don Hume, Safariland, Alessi, Greg Kramer, Mitch Rosen, Kirkpatrick Leather, Mernickle, Blade-tech, High Noon Holsters, Ken Null.
I'm interested in the Wright Leather Works Predator holster. It has a band around the top(for one handed re holstering) & a side-shield to protect the pistol. It comes in a few color choices & runs approx $78.00 USD.
Alessi & Kramer are widely known for horsehide concealment holsters.
I'm not fond of IWB carry so Im not aware of any top brands.
I would suggest buying a good gun belt & carrying a spare mag or 2 with your 938. Id load Ranger T 9mmNATO milspec rounds or PowRball to insure feeding & cycles. A gun fight is the last place you want to have a jam or problem.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Jimmy10mm

I don't have a lot of experience with too many of the makers nowadays but I've got a few different Milt Sparks holsters and I can't imagine anyone making a better one. Referring to IWB holsters.

I just got a Mernickle IWB clip holster for my G-27 and it is quite well made. I also carry a P238 when I want something a bit lighter, in a IWB clip holster made by an ebay leather outfit that goes by the name of thegunstore. Very reasonably priced and well made.
Old August 17, 2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Can't go wrong with either Galco, Mitch Rosen and Kramer holsters.
I'd also add High Noon Holsters to that list.

Overall, there are lots to great holster makers out there.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
bigarm

I have an iwb holster from Mernickle and can testify that it is VERY secure.
Old August 17, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
9miller

I have an IWB holster from Bianchi, only 50 bucks and it holds the gun snug to me, well worth the money.
Old August 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #9
pdevore

Thanks for all the replies, guys do you think an all leather holster would sufficiently secure my side arm while getting up and down off the ground and floor working? Or should I consider a kydex unit?

Thanks
Old August 18, 2013, 04:01 AM   #10
Yung.gunr

I have a Comp Tac CTAC that I really like. I am partial to the IWB because I feel the chances of it snagging on something are so much lower. With it being IWB I like the kydex as well. There are screws that you tighten to adjust the tension on your gun so I don't see a problem of it coming out. So far it's my favorite holster. Not sure if they make it for your gun, but something of that style would be nice I think.

It also has the "tuckable" option which is nice.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:27 PM   #11
czguy

Need some help with holsters

You missed out on a good holster from HBE Leatherworks. He had a pro TL for sale for that gun for around two months. Those holsters are great, IMO!. I had three, but sold one with the PM9 that I sold. Call him anyway, and see if he still has it. It can't hurt.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:16 PM   #12
pdevore

Is HBE leather works here on the forum? Or online?
Thanks
Old September 16, 2013, 08:02 AM   #13
Big4Freedom

I've tried and researched many for that specific gun. I have three options for you.

I carry IWB daily with crossbreed mini tuck that I cut down to mimic their microclip(used for p238) for my P938. It's worked flawlessly for me with one clip. Two just takes to long to get on/off for me. The one clip provides all the support needed, imo.

Another great IWB option that isn't as fancy, but perfectly designed, is the Don Hume 715 soft pocket. I also use it's slightly bigger bro for my glock 27. The clip is best height of any holster, easy on/off, lightweight, and secure. Cheap too. Probably most comfy of any holster I've owned. Don't get lured into their sturdier leather option. It's not same height. I bought after using other one and the clip is seated 1.5-2" lower on holster making it that much higher above waistline. I took it back!

Last option for OWB that I love is the Stoner paddle holster. I have two that I wear religiously when working on my land, .38 revolver and sig p938. Extremely easy to use, sturdy, comfy, and great craftsmanship.

Hope that helps. Trust me, I'm the guy that won't wear one if I don't really love it. I have many barely-used holsters that just collect dust...