The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 22, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Robin Rasendill

Fitness

Gentlemen, I like to know the best fitness program for a senior shooter, that is 67 years old
Old November 22, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Warrior1256

I am 56 years old and retired. I lift weights 5 days a week and practice martial arts and a combination of jogging / fast walking 4-5 days a week. That being said I admit that I have had to scale down those things a couple of notches as I aged. But you can still exercise no matter what your age or health. Just take it slow and easy at first until you see what your limits are. I promise that not only will your strength / stamina improve but you will generally feel better physically and mentally.

Start out lifting light weights and build up. Take walks for 15-20 minutes and walk just fast enough to get your heart / breathing rate above normal. Work up to 30 minutes. These will build up both your muscular strength and stamina.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
SIGSHR

Spend the first month or so with the weights limbering up, practicing good form, seeing what your range of motion is, etc. That will help you avoid soreness.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Hiker 1

Yoga, walking, and core (abdominal and lower back) training to start. As we get older, we lose a lot of our torquing ability which can be crucial in a self-defense situation. Daily stretching as well.

Obviously, I'm a proponent of hiking, though ease into it if you are a little out of shape.

Weight training can not only increase muscle mass and strength, it can help to minimize osteoporosis.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:57 AM   #5
UtopiaTexasG19

I am retired at 59 YO and am fortunate to live on acreage. There is always trees/limbs to saw up, pastures to mow, fences to mend etc, etc. I also have a huge garden for my whole family and rebuild old cars so I am always bending, stretching, lifting or toting something. Find something you like to do that keeps your body and mind active on a regular basis. Don't get in a rut watching tv all day long. Volunteer to help others if things at home are sedintary. Keep moving.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:00 PM   #6
g.willikers

A couple of shooting specific exercises that help, in addition to the normal ones, are:
Hand strengthening ones using a soft squeezer ball.
Wrist strengthening ones winding and unwinding a light weight attached to a rod and string.
Pushing a weight out from chest height, holding it a few beats and pulling it back without letting it dip down.
It's never to late to start.
Old November 24, 2012, 03:04 PM   #7
ltc444

A lot of good suggestions.

I have found that Archery improves my strength and shooting skills for pistol.

Free Weight lifting, using reasonable weights, by sedentary seniors has shown a 20% increase in strength and an increase in fine motor skills.

Before starting any exercise program you should consult your Dr. A consult with a good physical Therapist is worth the money if your insurance does not cover the visit.