The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 27, 2000, 11:02 PM   #1
FUD

With regard to http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/fo...threadid=28690 being closed ...

Does this mean that posting a photo actually increases the thread by that number of bytes? I always ASSUMED that since the image does not actually reside on your server, only a link is established and the thread size does not increase by that number of bytes.

Let me explain why I thought this was the case ...

Suppose I post a link to an image that I have on my web site which has a size of 10k. Then suppose, I go to my web site and replace that image with another image (same file name) that is 1000K in size. Does this mean that the thread will suddenly increase to over a million bytes? Then suppose I remove the image from my web site all together, then that would mean that the amount of bytes in the thread would drop down to zero.

This just doesn't sound right to me.
Old August 27, 2000, 11:11 PM   #2
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

FUD,
- Post a photo into the thread and the photo adds bulk to the thread. (As in the example.)
- Post a link (TO a photo) into the thread, and the photo's bulk is not added to the link.

Therefore, it's better to post a link (to a photo) than the photo itself.

That *is* what you were saying, isn't it?
Old August 27, 2000, 11:31 PM   #3
FUD

Dennis, let's say I put a image in this thread ... ... which doesn't exist and therefore does not add anything as far as size to this thread. Now, let's say that you close this thread right now exactly the way that it is and tomorrow I go behind the scenes (not touching this thread at all) and change the image to an image that is 1 meg in size. Does that mean that this thread, even though it would be closed, would suddenly grow to over 1 meg in size? That doesn't seem right to me. Is it?
Old August 28, 2000, 12:48 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

It's not the size of the thread that increases in your example, it's the amount of data that must be transferred that makes the difference. If a pure link is 50 bytes for example and the remainder of the thread text is 2000 bytes, then only 2050 bytes are transferred to each member that opens that thread. But, if an image link causes a 1 meg pic to be transferred to a members screen, then 1.002 meg is transferred.
Old August 28, 2000, 09:13 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

FUD-
What Dennis and Mal said.

In your example, each time the thread is opened, your browser seeks the image from the remote site. While it doesn't reside on the TFL server, it must still be downloaded by the user. For a 268K photo, this can be a real pain for the Members. That's why we prefer links to photos...those who wish to view them may do so by clicking on the link.
Rich
Old August 28, 2000, 10:39 AM   #6
FUD

Thanks for the clarafication Rich -- that's sort of what I thought. If you've noticed, recently I've been using my flaming sign-off logo more sparingly for this very reason.
Old August 28, 2000, 10:54 AM   #7
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it was all cleared up for you FUD. I didn't even have to comment either.

FWIW, I've been using my signature much less often too. That and changing how many days topics you view in each forum all helps to cut down on bandwidth and make TFL faster for everybody.
Old August 28, 2000, 04:35 PM   #8
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Hmm. Why do many pictures (like FUD's, above) merely show as a white box with a red X (for me)?

What Windows option must I adjust?
Please explain.
Old August 28, 2000, 04:58 PM   #9
FUD

Dennis, In my example above, the reason why you see a red X in a white square is because I linked to an image that doesn't actually exist (I did this on purpose so as no to actual download an image into this thread). The reason why you might see this in other places is because the link to the other internet server could not be established during your session and/or, the image does not exist (like in my example). You could try right clicking on the red X in a white square and select "show picture". This will cause the system to try to down load the image a second time -- this will usually work if you see a lot of them on your screen as something might have gone wrong with your transmission when loading the screen. If you see only one, chances are the right-click method won't work. Regards, FUD.
Old August 28, 2000, 07:03 PM   #10
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Aha! Thanks, FUD. For once it wasn't something I messed up!
Old August 28, 2000, 07:23 PM   #11
HankL

I'm happy that I saw this thread. While I don't put up any 256K images from MY
Rosie ACMECITY server to this forum or any other I will use the url link instead of the image one. Saves time here and puts more of a burden on ACMECITY. I can deal with that!
Hank