The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 3, 2009, 05:31 PM   #26
threegun

Shape of home is the least of my concern. I want to keep them out. I want them to work hard at getting in to begin with. Here is what I would do....

#1 secure all exterior doors so that they cannot be breeched quickly. Making the criminal work hard will discourage him and cost him time allowing you to be prepared.

#2 same goes for windows (bars and or window film along with locking mechanisms)

#3 monitored alarm system with an extra keypad in your bedroom. This will allow you to know if your home has been breeched upon entry and check the status while in bed (my pad has lighted zones to let me know which section has been breeched) The alarm will also deter most as Peetza said and alert wake you.

#4 Lights, dog, or any other extras for early warning or prevention of an attempt.

If a home invasion isn't prevented.....

#1 Have a plan so that the time you have bought by hardening your doors and windows can be utilized efficiently. This plan should be rehearsed and depends upon your individual situation (house layout, age of children, etc.)

#2 Make bad guy come to you if possible.

#3 Split plans stink for defending family members but great for a noisy wife LOL.
Old November 4, 2009, 11:24 PM   #27
Shawn Dodson

An unusual noise at night? First I'd try to locate where its coming from.

I'd probably shout a verbal challenge to establish my presence: "WHO'S THERE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING! I HAVE A GUN!"

I'd clear as much area as I can see from the master bedroom door and then have my wife move quickly to the other bedrooms, while I provide overwatch, so there's an adult with the kids.

There may or may not be a need for me to join them. If necessary I'd move dynamically to my objective.

Maintain security and call 911.