The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 14, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Need something new?

Hello Gentleman: I'll probably slip over to Cabelas for a quick look see. While the wife is occupied at Cosco. So, I won't have much time to shop thanks to cell phones!! My wife's idea of Conceal Carry Ar ar!!!. I'm looking for a new Traditional rifle that has a shotgun style of stock to it. I've got a few T/C Hawken's already but? The 'Ol right shoulder is not what it use to be when cradling those curved Brass butt plates. Would prefer wood. But it isn't a necessity. What manufactures rifle models should I be looking at? Price is not a concern just something decent would be good. thanks for your opinions and help SSMcG
Old March 14, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Beagle333

My Renegade doesn't have a curved butt plate (top) and would easily accept a slip-on pad, and my Cabelas Sporterized Hawken (bottom) came with a pad installed on it.
To make them even more comfortable to shoot with hunting loads, wear a clay shooter's vest with the built in pad on it too.
A Renegade or Cabelas can be found on GB for around $200 each, in a couple of weeks of watching.
('Just looked, and there is a Cabelas .54 on there now for $180 with a Buy Now of $195. It looks like a sporterized, it has the checkering on the stock. 'Cant see the butt in the photos provided.)
Old March 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #3
arcticap

The Lyman Deerstalker has a straight butt with a factory installed rubber buttpad to lessen recoil. It has a single trigger and a 24" barrel with a 1 in 48" twist.

Here's the .50 percussion version:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=000156033140
Old March 14, 2012, 02:31 PM   #4
dlbarr

McGee....I have an idea. Why don't you do a little garage gunsmithing - take one of your Hawken clones, cut back the stock just ahead of the butt plate and install spacers and a pad sufficient to retain proper length of pull? That would be less costly than a new rifle.

Unless, of course, you just WANT a new rifle. In which case, you don't have to tell us about your sore shoulder to justify it - we're your friends. Now, your wife....of course, you have to tell her your sore shoulder story.

Whatever your decision, we support you.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Hawg

Just in case you don't know, that curved butt plate doesn't go against your shoulder. It goes against your upper arm. If you're putting those points against your shoulder it has a right to hurt.
Old March 14, 2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

dlbarr: The wife comes in here and sneaks up behind me for a peek at the 20" screen every so often when she gets lonely. I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game is all.

Didn't see all that much in the way of new B/P rifles guys. Sold down to just a few inlines on the shelf. No Lymans no T/Cs no Triditions just a couple of Kit CVAs >Wolf is it called? So, Gander Mtn get ready I'm on my way.

Hawg Haggen
Quote:
that curved butt plate doesn't go against your shoulder. It goes against your upper arm.
Tell me about it. Nice buck jumped up right next to me last Fall after I almost stepped on its tail. Hurried the sure thing shot with my 54 Hawken. No deer!! But boy!!! did that 90 gr charge of Gorex black & blue my shoulder!! Still sore to this day when it gets damp cold out.)-- Finished the Fall season sitting in my sons heated stand with my trusty 45 T/C Hawken after that fiasco with its Big Bruiser Brother >54 --Desired a trophy and got one too.>--Nice tender bite Doe

Beagle333: I got a Renagade cap-lock in 54 someplace around here in the house. I've never done much with it over the years. Other than sight it in for 100 yrds with T/C maxi balls. I always felt the stock was short fitting on me when I pulled it up to my shoulder for some reason? Different feel than my other Hawken's models give me. I might just take it to a gunsmith and have him fit it to me. And have a proper pad put on it at the same time. I called T/C and asked for a Big Bore pad . But was told they are un-avalible. That call took place 3 or so years ago.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 14, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old March 15, 2012, 03:44 AM   #7
deerslayer303

The bottom pic beagle posted of the Cabelas Hawkin is the same stock my cabelas carbine has and I will attest that is one comfortable stock, even though I haven't shot it yet I may think differently afterwards.
Old March 15, 2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Noz

Hawg Haggen.

That's a pet peeve. Ya buy them books and buy them books.............
Old March 15, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
deerslayer303

Sure Shot,

I just made my weekly stop at the LGS, they have just what you need. A pretty good looking TC New Englander. The stock and blueing is in great shape. It has a musket nipple on it and the lock works great. .50 Cal. I didn't look down it with a bore light. But if you are interested I will go back and go over it with a fine tooth comb. They want 179 plus uncle sams share.
Old March 15, 2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

deerslayer303.
Quote:
But if you are interested I will go back and go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Oh my Goodness. I do appreciate your effort in this matter Deerslayer 303. It isn't necessary for you to go thru all that trouble and bother of driving back and forth. But, a telephone number to that store would be very much appreciated on my end. Over here in Mpls Mn. There aren't allot New Englander's seen around. Why, I don't know? If you decide to send me a phone number. Please Email or a direct message it thur FLF. As we don't want to openly post to much information. (Well, you know what I mean) If things turn out right. I might be "Greening up!!" your State a little. tom