The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 3, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Alabama Shooter

Gun Seizures Called for by Legislator in Iowa

Quote:
We cannot have big guns out here as far as the big guns that are out here, the semi-automatics and all of them. We can’t have those running around out here. Those are not hunting weapons. We should ban those in Iowa.

Even if you have them, I think we need to start taking them. We can’t have those out there. Because if they’re out there they’re just going to get circulated around to the wrong people. Those guns should not be in the public’s hands. There are just too many guns.
http://abetteriowa.desmoinesregister...matic-weapons/

I have never lived in Iowa but found this noteworthy. This legislator Dan Muhlbauer is apparently a well known anti-gun law maker.

Does anyone think his ideas will get in traction in Iowa?
Old January 3, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2
spacecoast

Funny... I can't recall the last time I circulated my guns around and they got in the wrong hands. Can anyone relate?
Old January 3, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Mr.Scott

Some Iowans need to remind this politician that the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting. It's about keeping politicians in check.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
CowTowner

Could be he already knows this and thus provides his reasoning for the statement?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 3, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Got family in Iowa and unfortunately most are Democrat but I guarantee you that they are not fans of this clown. Try to take their shotguns or fishing poles from them and you will see some mighty irate Bohunks.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 3, 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
JimDandy

Most of my mom's side of the family in Iowa lives in his district. I have no idea how they feel about the guy, but I know he didn't make many friends trying to take away their fancy expensive camo print semi-auto shotgun.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Gary L. Griffiths

Right now, I'm living in SE Iowa. We used to have a quaint and charming tradition for politicians like this, involving their intimate acquaintance with tar, feathers, and a rail. It's what made the good ol' days good.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 3, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
357 Python

Gary, we used to have the same tradition here in Virginia. There sure are a good many who should be reintroduced to tradition. From what I understand somewhere around 1900 the entire city council for one Virginia city was run out of town on a rail as well as tarred and feathered. The current city council seems to have forgotten the past.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Nickel Plated

Wow that quote sounds like it was written by a 9 year old. It literrally just repeats the same sentence over and over. "There are too many guns"

A real linguist this one.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Ben Towe

Quote:
We cannot have big guns out here as far as the big guns that are out here, the semi-automatics and all of them. We can’t have those running around out here. Those are not hunting weapons. We should ban those in Iowa.

Even if you have them, I think we need to start taking them. We can’t have those out there. Because if they’re out there they’re just going to get circulated around to the wrong people. Those guns should not be in the public’s hands. There are just too many guns.
Am I the only one who thinks that amalgamation of words could have been articulated by a third grader? If you're going to argue a point as a lawmaker, at least have the ability to string together high school level paragraphs. Saying "we can't have those out there" a bunch of times just makes him sound like a moron.

Edit: Nickel Plated, we must have been posting at the same time.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:10 PM   #11
tyme
Staff

Quote:
We can’t have those running around out here.
I hate it when my guns escape and go running around and I have to spend half my day herding them back where they belong.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 4, 2013, 05:18 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
Even if you have them, I think we need to start taking them. We can’t have those out there.
Who is this "we" you speak of? You got a mouse in your pocket? "I" am definitely not part of any "we" that is going to be taking things that are Constitutionally protected...... If you and your mouse are feeling froggy, well ..... that will be an interesting day, won't it?
Old January 4, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Alabama Shooter

Could be a lot of people.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:52 PM   #14
markj

Well thankfully the others support guns, ones family owns a gun shop I use in Mo. Valley.

Crazy people are everywhere. I gotta say if a gun ban makes a person all warm and fuzzy, that person is out of touch with reality cause the bad guys wont be giving theirs up....
Old January 4, 2013, 06:39 PM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
Could be a lot of people.
That matters not, unless they are the Legislatures (or Constitutional Conventions) of 3/4 of the 50 States, and they vote to amend the Constitution to say that the RKBA can be infringed. That's the way it works.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Kreyzhorse

That isn't going to get any traction.....

However, the anti gun people are drooling because they think some of their anti gun dreams might actually take root. I think they are all throwing everything they can against wall just hoping that some of it sticks.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Aaron1100us

I sent him an email, this was his reply.

Thanks for your letter.
The news article that was printed was not a true representation of how I feel.* There was very little said about gun control in the interview.* There are so many things that go into the Connecticut incident.
Mental Health being a huge part of, School Policies, Society and Guns.* The interview was about what could be done to prevent further shootings.* It was never about gun control, it was about protecting children in school.
I was asked, IF you could* stop this from happening would you be willing to take away guns?* My answer was, We are talking about 5 and 6 year olds here, IF you could stop all violence by doing that sure, BUT that will never happen, so we
need to focus on mental health, school policies, etc.* Only part of my statement was used!* The article was very slanted and does not represent my feelings
Sincerely,
Dan Muhlbauer
State Representative
Statehouse
Des Moines, IA 50319

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 4, 2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
That matters not, unless they are the Legislatures (or Constitutional Conventions) of 3/4 of the 50 States, and they vote to amend the Constitution to say that the RKBA can be infringed. That's the way it works.
too late for that one
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 4, 2013, 08:38 PM   #19
stormin1155

I live in Iowa. I don't know Dan Muhlbauer, but I doubt that he will gain much support. A lot of us Iowans like them big guns!
Old January 5, 2013, 12:44 AM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
Quote:
too late for that one
Oh, I understand that it has been infringed: I can't help that, as I only have control of "me".

But I took an oath, to Support and Defend .... until the COTUS sez different, I'll do that, regardless of cost. Should the POTUS give an order contrary to that, then well ..... that's not a Lawful Order, is it?

We live in Interesting Times, yes?
Old January 5, 2013, 12:57 AM   #21
MrApathy

sadly Iowa has no 2A equivalent in its constitution so we have to tread lightly but we have been pretty lucky we got shall issue ccw here not that long ago.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old January 5, 2013, 07:08 AM   #22
spacecoast

Quote:
I sent him an email, this was his reply.

Thanks for your letter.
The news article that was printed was not a true representation of how I feel.* There was very little said about gun control in the interview.* There are so many things that go into the Connecticut incident.
Mental Health being a huge part of, School Policies, Society and Guns.* The interview was about what could be done to prevent further shootings.* It was never about gun control, it was about protecting children in school.
I was asked, IF you could* stop this from happening would you be willing to take away guns?* My answer was, We are talking about 5 and 6 year olds here, IF you could stop all violence by doing that sure, BUT that will never happen, so we
need to focus on mental health, school policies, etc.* Only part of my statement was used!* The article was very slanted and does not represent my feelings
Sincerely,
Dan Muhlbauer
State Representative
Statehouse
Des Moines, IA 50319

This letter certainly doesn't agree with the "quotes" attributed to him in the original story. Could he be backing way off in response to public feedback?
Old January 5, 2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
This letter certainly doesn't agree with the "quotes" attributed to him in the original story. Could he be backing way off in response to public feedback?
What? A politician back-tracking when his words appear in print and he realizes what an idiot he has shown proven himself to be?

UNTHINKABLE!
Old January 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #24
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The article was very slanted and does not represent my feelings
If he is saying that the article did not quote him properly or made something up his lawyers need to talk to the newspaper about a retraction or they could be facing a serious libel suit. I think they are pretty safe:

Quote:
Muhlbauer, a cattleman and farmer, owns three guns — a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol.

He does some pheasant hunting and skeet shooting with the guns.

Muhlbauer said flatly that he’s not frightened politically by the National Rifle Association or the Iowa Gun Owners.

“As you know, the last couple of years I’ve been fighting against them,” Muhlbauer said. “I have told them time and time again, ‘You guys are wanting the gun laws so loose that that pendulum is going to swing back and it’s going to bite you.’ And that’s just what we don’t to see happen now. We want to put in stricter rules with common sense. I don’t want to have the gun laws slung back so far that we start taking guns away and start limiting them to where people cannot enjoy guns, those that want to have it. And that’s what I’m afraid, if we keep having these incidents happen, is what’s going to happen.”

Muhlbauer said promoting tough gun laws and protecting children in schools are important enough to lose an election advocating.

“We’re talking people’s lives,” Muhlbauer said. “You want to start losing children’s lives and adult lives over a gun issue because the NRA thinks we’re stepping on somebody’s toes?”

Muhlbauer said a constituent approached him and suggested that the government place a chip in every gun that would ignite sensors should those guns cross into secure areas like school zones.

“I think that’s carrying it too far,” Muhlbauer said.

But he said the response to the school shootings has to amount to more than legislative tinkering.

“With all these shootings going on we have to start making radical changes and radical choices from what we’ve done in the past,” Muhlbauer said.
Quote:
King said in that debate with Democrat Christie Vilsack that his household is armed with an AR-15 semi-automatic gun that is effective in dealing with coyotes.

“I think he’s getting a little ridiculous,” Muhlbauer said. “We don’t need these big of guns out there to take care of coyotes. You don’t need that big of a gun to shoot a coyote with. Actually, we have a lot of people that go after them, and they trap ‘em.”
A lot more eye openers at the link

http://www.carrollspaper.com/main.as...rticleID=14934
Old January 5, 2013, 12:09 PM   #25
stormin1155

Hmmmm.... pheasant hunting and skeet shooting with a .410? That takes a fair bit of skill.