The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 23, 2005, 01:20 AM   #1
RedRiver

Can anyone tell me about a Hi-Point?

I only want people to list a response if they've owned and operated a Hi-Point firearm and in the last five years or sooner. Not the "old" ones. No second hand B.S. I really want to know people's experiences with these firearms. Are they reliable, durable, accurate? Are they of poor quality, unreliable, inaccurate etc? Everything I've researched has been mostly from a friend of a friend and not by an actual owner. I've come across more good reviews than bad but I want to know from yall. If they're crappy, great! I won't buy one. I almost want to buy one for the price and see for myself but I need to know if I'm throwing my money away. Thanks!
Old August 23, 2005, 02:44 AM   #2
CajunBass

I wanted to know the same thing. So I bought one. (C-9, 9mm) I like it. It works. I think they're a bargain.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 23, 2005, 06:49 AM   #3
RoyG

I know you said you didn't want to hear from anyone with "old" ones but here is my pawn shop find. I got it for $75 otd. Shot 50 rounds of American 45acp(came free with the gun). Target was setup at 25 feet. The flyer on top was my first shot.

Will I ever carry it? NO.

Is it a great range gun? YES.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Point.jpg (40.9 KB, 2125 views)
Old August 23, 2005, 07:01 AM   #4
Juna

Are they DA/SA? What's the mag capacity? Just curious... Steel/polymer?
Old August 23, 2005, 07:09 AM   #5
147 Grain

Don't own a Hi-Point, but my local www.ImpactGuns.com only wants $129 for any new fullsize model and $99 for the compact 9mm (C-9). They, like many other gunshops, have a hard time keeping them in stock at those prices.

Personally, I'm glad you asked for objective advice from owners of Hi-Points and not for subjective rumors from those not in the know.

Good luck (from an objective non-owner) who'se thinking of buying one.
Old August 23, 2005, 08:50 AM   #6
John Ringo

They are dirt cheap and clunky. But....

But I have read reviews that state that they are actually quite functional. It's not going to oust the HK anytime soon, but for under $200 you will get a pretty decent backyard shooter in just about any caliber.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old August 23, 2005, 09:07 AM   #7
BerettaCougar

I have the carbine and it's great, but if i could do it again I would get a Makarov instead.
Old August 23, 2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Hans

They are DAO, but they are fun for the range, as you can beat the snot out of them and not worry too much about it. They have a lifetime warranty, are reliable enough for a range gun after a short break in period, and they are cheap. Not so bad if that is what you are looking for.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old August 23, 2005, 10:06 AM   #9
wingman

The carbines are accurate and fun, have not tried there pistols.
Old August 23, 2005, 10:51 AM   #10
AMT8951

My Dept. hosted a LE Carbine course last month. Most of the 20 or so students showed up with AR's (there was also a Mini-14, some sort of Ruger .40cal Carbine, and an M-1 Carbine). A Lt. from a neighboring agency showed up with a privatly purchased Hi-Point Carbine in .40cal with a Tasco propoint mounted on it. He took a little ribbing from the instructors at first, but I think he and the weapon ended up doing pretty well. No reliability problems at all. BTW I think one of those kids at Colubine High used a high point carbine.

Didn't shoot it myself so I guess you can write this off as 2nd hand BS.
Old August 23, 2005, 11:13 AM   #11
30-40Krag dude

My father bought the c-9 a few months ago. after making fun of him for buying something so ugly and cheap, i noticed the carbine and picked one up.
My carbine has been great. fit and finish is pretty low quality, but its great shooter. i have well over 2000 rounds through it now and i couldnt imagine a better plinker for the money.

My fathers pistol has far less rounds through it. again, poor fit and finish, but its shoots great. it is pretty accurate. he has had some problems though. the firing pin broke after about 300 rounds. no problem, sent it back and a week later it was fixed and he had a new free mag. One of the original 8 round mags doesnt feed reliably at all. the new free one and a 10 rounder both work fine with no feed problems.

lifetime warrenty, and great customer service. if you get a bad one, run it over, send it back, and get a new one.
Old August 23, 2005, 11:23 AM   #12
USP45usp

9mm Carbine, no experience with the pistol.

My carbine is a very fun rifle to fire, have had no problems with it and it's black so that's a plus .

If the pistols are anything like the rifles, they may be ugly but they are functional and so far realiable.

Wayne
Old August 23, 2005, 11:28 AM   #13
BerettaCougar

Quote:
it's black so that's a plus .

HAHAHA!, that made me laugh out loud, everyone thinks i'm on something now. (at work)
Old August 23, 2005, 12:56 PM   #14
Clone

i have a JHP45 thats never failed me in 1250rds and shoots 2in at 15 yards. i purchased a C9 last week and took it to the range and had to 2 FTF in the first two mags i ran through it. i adjusted the mag lips and finished the rest of the 200rds without a problem. the accuracy at first sucked, and im guessing it was because i wasnt used to shooting it, but in the last 100rds the accurary was as good as my 45. if i had it to do over i would still buy my HiPoint's.
Old August 23, 2005, 03:43 PM   #15
Javelin Man

I own 2

The 9mm carbine and the .45 acp pistol. Both have worked great, are accurate, (a relative term) and require little tlc. They are inexpensive enough to buy one and find out for yourself how well they work.
Old August 24, 2005, 12:03 AM   #16
bfox

I got a 45
Mine shoots Great
I had to pick one up after all the fuss here about them.
Ugly , Heavy ,Cheaply made yes
but it shoots great thats all that matters .
Got a 9mm carbine shoots great to .

Bill
Old August 24, 2005, 12:10 AM   #17
payne

I owned a C-9 and it was a tough little gun. Very reliable and it was accurate after I did some adjusting with the sights.
Old August 24, 2005, 12:57 AM   #18
chris in va

Bought a 9mm carbine from a gun show last year, mainly because I had never seen something quite like that and couldn't believe it was only $120 (used).

Whoever had it previously shot the SNOT out of it. The innards were worn severely and it wouldn't fire more than 3 rounds. Sent it in to HiPoint, got back basically a new gun with the doodads that didn't come with it from the show (sling, cleaning kit, takedown tool, sight rail, manual).

Now the thing is one of my favorite firearms. Absolutely reliable with NO firing/feeding problems in...jeez, 1000 rounds? Dead-on accurate at 50 yards with a cheap red dot. I mean soda can accurate. Everyone that shoots the thing loves it.

Can't speak for the handguns, but love the carbine. Oh, and the sound it makes is rather distinctive...

PS: They give you a couple mags "for your trouble".
Old August 24, 2005, 02:43 AM   #19
silversilvia

i have a C9. never jamed, jsut so damn ugly, so i never shoot it anymore. it was my first gun
Old August 24, 2005, 04:39 AM   #20
RedRiver

Gonna try it...

I'm going to order one online and check it out for myself. It seems that people who actually own one like them!
Old August 24, 2005, 05:27 AM   #21
CajunBass

I don't think you'll be disapointed. When you get it, try the "ghost ring" sight that comes with it. I really like that feature.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 24, 2005, 07:46 AM   #22
wingman

Quote:
Can't speak for the handguns, but love the carbine. Oh, and the sound it makes is rather distinctive...
The 40 cal somewhat sounds like an M1 when firing, I like the sound but
dident give it too much thought until your post.
Old August 24, 2005, 08:07 AM   #23
kymasabe

Interesting post. I've been thinking about getting one, a 9mm, and keeping it as a truck gun. "Ugly, heavy, fairly accurate", I can live with...as longs as it's reliable and sounds so far like there are minimal problems with them.
Old August 24, 2005, 08:26 AM   #24
sltintexas

I have the 380 and the only problem I have had is with the magazine. The gun is pretty picky about the ammo being lined up right. If they get out of alignment they will not feed right and you will have problems. My only 2 problems I have had with it were because of this. Once I figured it out, I've had no problems. When you are looking at the loaded mag, make sure that all the bullets are facing up at the right angle... if any are pointing down just a little bit, you may have problems..I think it will make sense after you get one I load mine, give the mag (the back of it) a quick smack on the table or my hand, and your good to go!

Additional note..I am still in the break in period of my 380, so these things may work themselves out after break in....
Old August 24, 2005, 08:58 AM   #25
Bowtier

I too can not speak for the pistols because I have the 9mm carbine. I have shot over 3000 rounds through mine & not had a single problem & I've only cleaned the gun 3 times! I'm a believer, it's nice to see what actual Hi-point owners have to say about 'em as opposed to the "gun snobs" who degrade them just because of the price.(personally I think they're just upset because I can buy 2 hi-points & a truckload of ammo for about what they paid for their "snob gun". ) I was looking into getting a .40 cal just to have one & in talking to my local gun shop guy he says they're coming out with the carbine in .45 ACP so I think I'm holdin' off for that Good luck & have fun.
Closed Thread