The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2021, 06:12 PM   #151
FrankenMauser

It has been done before.
Average age here leans heavily toward boomers, and tapers off as age decreases.

The trend is even more exaggerated for reloaders.

Although probably somewhat of an indication of the average involvement of the various generations, I do not believe it to be the complete picture.
One should keep in mind that younger generations prefer other forums and platforms for firearm and reloading discussion.
Specifically, they prefer live discussion and more activity, such as can be found with Facebook, Discord, MeWe, reddit, Slap, and more. Some won't even participate unless the place has almost no moderation and their identity is anonymous, like with 4chan.
Old December 16, 2021, 07:05 PM   #152
Reloadron

I am 71 and got my start at age 8. Thank you uncle Will. I still have the Remington single shot you and your friend gave me. That would be the Remington Model 510. While neither kid has taken to shooting the granddaughter seems to have taken to it. The same one who loves rides on the back of my bike and loves bike nights.

Ron
Old December 26, 2021, 10:47 PM   #153
Linker

Been handloading since about 1990. Started because it was suggested to me by a friend who already did it. Have passed him by as far as experience and number of guns I load for. I shoot much more because of it and am a much better shot. It seems that I forget about Democrats being against guns and ownership and get caught short on some components. During the Clinton years it was primers. During Obama I stocked up on powder. Now it seems everything is short. It is not really in short supply so much as it is there are several million first time gun owners now as compared to 2 years ago. I am ok though. My son asked me the other day if I could load some for a fellow employee of his. I told him it would not be worth it because of finding components and high prices. I don't want to bother with it..
The nicest thing I can say about hand loading is that I don't have to worry about whether or not the store has my ammo and if it is the right weight and bullet type. I have it already.
Someone on a website once told me and others that he didn't see a need for manuals with access to computers. I suggested that unless he made copies and kept them organized they didn't do much good when the computer goes down. Those manuals sit on the shelf and can't go down. I guess I need to shut up and go turn off my case cleaner.
Old January 10, 2022, 10:38 AM   #154
RoyceP

Most of my reloading equipment was purchased when it looked like there would be a Dukakis administration. I stocked up on powder when Hercules was sold to Alliant. I purchased several thousand primers when it looked like Gore was moving into the White House.

Mainly I have to buy bullets and they do not seem to be as affected by current events. The main change recently has been the current craze for range indoor air quality which makes the 10,000 (think I have maybe 8500 left) cast 45 ACP bullets I bought in the 2005 era unusable indoors.
Old January 11, 2022, 03:02 AM   #155
Metal god

Quote:
Is Reloading too Expensive?
NOPE not anymore especially if you were stocked up before 2020 . What's going on today is a perfect example why one should reload . Ranges looking pretty empty these days compared to 2 years ago . Gone are the days of seeing guys doing mag dumps as if ammo grows on trees lol . Well I still do an mag dumps once and awhile . I can because although ammo does not grow on trees it does grow on my bench

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 11, 2022, 03:04 PM   #156
603Country

Last couple of days, I’ve loaded up a few hundred rounds of 223 and a hundred of 220 Swift, all with my preferred bullets and powders, and prepped brass for several calibers. You couldn’t buy what I made.

Tomorrow I’m going to work up some loads for the 223 with 2 specific bullets for pig hunting, and then choose which to use. If you don’t reload, what I’m doing is impossible.

That’s why I reload. At one time it was about the money. Now I’m way past that.

If a fellow can buy a box of 20 bullets and deer hunt for 5 seasons with it, good for you, but that isn’t me and never has been.