The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 23, 2016, 10:34 AM   #26
g.willikers

^^^
Does not compute, does not compute.
What does your wife have to do with reloading?
Unless of course you expect her to be doing it.
Old August 23, 2016, 10:36 AM   #27
g.willikers

If you really want to be able to shoot pistol caliber ammo in a revolver, (and a bunch of others) check out the Medusa.
Old August 23, 2016, 10:44 AM   #28
WC145

Revolvers chambered in rimless calibers have been around for 100 years, they work and work well. Carrying moonclips is no different than carrying speed loaders and allow you to load and unload the revolver faster. As the OP pointed out, it's no big deal to load up a mess of moon clips for a trip to the range and removing the empties from them when you get home only takes a few seconds for each one using a simple tool. I've been using them for years and have yet to bend one, they're pretty rugged (except for the Taurus versions) and hold up well unless you step on a loaded one or something like that.

9mm has an edge over other revolver rounds because not only is it less expensive than most, it is a very efficient cartridge and velocities fall in between .38spl +P and .357mag (closer to .357 than .38) without nearly the amount of noise and muzzle blast of the .357mag. Of course, all guns are incredibly loud when fired indoors, regardless of caliber. If I was very concerned with noise I'd look at a suppressed auto with subsonic ammo, anything unsuppressed will be so loud I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference. I speak from experience.

I have a custom S&W 360J that I had Pinnacle rechamber to 9x23 and cut for moonclips back in 2008, though I normally shoot and carry it with 9mm, occasionally .38 Super. I have several dozen moon clips that I keep loaded and range trips just require throwing a bunch into my range bag, no need for loading and unloading them at the range. Last year I had them fit a titanium .38spl cylinder to it making it a convertible so If I don't feel like messing with moonclips I can swap cylinders and use speedloaders or speedstrips or just drop them in individually if I want. I've been very happy with my gun and it's got a lot of miles on it as a BUG and hot weather piece, and it's about as versatile a carry gun as you'll find.

OP - if you want a 9mm revolver, I say go for it. If you decide you don't want/need a convertible, S&W has a couple of very nice dedicated 9mm wheel guns that are worth looking at.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old August 23, 2016, 10:59 AM   #29
briandg

I was talking on the assumption that you were wanting a compact revolver, not one that was full sized. You can still buy a J frame revolver, about as compact as it can get, in .357.

But don't believe that moon clips are hard to deal with. it's not much worse in my experience than loading some magazines by hand. And take it to the bank, a pair of 9 mm moon clips will be not much larger than a .38 speed loader. The last concern is whether or not you can load moon clips as quickly as you can speed loaders. A moon clip is slipped in and the cylinder is shut. A speed oader, a standard speed loader, you have to put the thing in, turn the release, shake the ammo in, then dump the loader and close the cylinder, and boy, I hope that you don't screw up on the way and accidentally dump your bullets. There is, no question, a slight advantage to using moon clips.

If you are looking for a revolver, I believe that you can find a 357 convertible single action, a pistol that has an easily removed cylinder.

Finding a double action may be hard. I took a brief look and didn't find any convertible .357 DA revolvers.

So it still comes back to whatever you choose, and I still say that you should go with a 9 mm revolver if that is what you want. You'll get about equal power to a .38 +P. Moon clips are good. 9mm is dirt cheap, and there's nothing that a .38 special can do, regarding defensive ammo, that a 9 mm can't do. Don't be talked out of it, but by all means, be informed of the drawbacks before you buy.
Old August 23, 2016, 11:10 AM   #30
briandg

Quote:
I see folks wanting .357 Magnum in semi-autos when there is .357 Sig and other similar powerful semi ammunition Then there is those who want 9mm in revolvers when there is .38 Special and other revolver ammunition of equal or plus ballistics.
A 357 sig is not the same as a .357 magnum. a 147 grain round at 1250 is not the same as a 158 grain bullet at about 1500. Anyone who is willing to buy a desert eagle isn't looking for one of the standard semiauto rounds, they want the performance that can only be had with a full power .357 magnum.

But, I agree, absolutely, that it's not at all necessary, and that very, very few people should bother using the alternatives like this. These things work just fine for their own purposes, and switching purposes doesn't really have any great benefits.
Old August 23, 2016, 11:10 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

"4. Not as loud. Now I'm not claiming that 9mm is quiet, by any means, but if I am forced into a self defense situation, especially in an indoor setting, I like the idea of less damage to my hearing."

The 9mm is a high pressure cartridge.

Having shot many revolvers chambered for semi-auto cartridges alongside their rimmed round counterparts, you'll never be able to tell the difference if you light one off without hearing protection, and you'll suffer some degree of permanent hearing damage that will be cumulative the more times you pull the trigger.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 23, 2016, 11:29 AM   #32
45 Dragoon

Hmmmmm . . . . . . .

I have an El Patron Comp in .45C and a .45acp cylinder for it. No moon clips needed, ammo is inexpensive, no problems ejecting empties, can carry lots of ammo. Since I do reload (same powder for both, sometimes the same bullet), I save my empties (don't have to chase them down/hunt for them).

I understand the OPs thoughts , I think he is just looking at the wrong cali.!! Lol!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old August 23, 2016, 11:38 AM   #33
BigMikey76

Quote:
Finding a double action may be hard. I took a brief look and didn't find any convertible .357 DA revolvers.
The Rhino comes in the convertible configuration. Bud's has one right now for $838. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than getting one decent gun in each caliber.
Old August 23, 2016, 11:45 AM   #34
briandg

The rhino may have interchangeable cylinders, but it is not by any means interchangeable with a smith and wesson or ruger. Those things are almost as different as cats and dogs.
Old August 23, 2016, 12:04 PM   #35
Lohman446

One of the things that I think when I buy a gun now is if any of my kids will want it.

My 16 year old loves shooting revolvers. Also a BIG Harley Quinn fan.

Trust me if I happened to buy a Rhino and throw some white grips on it there would be at least one person in my house happier than I was.

Of course my three year old would probably fight for it after I died...
Old August 23, 2016, 12:09 PM   #36
briandg

that's just plain funny.
Old August 23, 2016, 03:48 PM   #37
Cheapshooter

Quote:
1. Pretty much the least expensive practice ammo (I don't reload)
Then start You can get set up to load 357Mag/38Spcl. For what a new revolver will cost. Besides, it's fun!

Quote:
2. Same ammo as my current carry guns (some prefer infinite variety, I tend towards K.I.S.S.)
Then why complicate the simplicity of a revolver with little springy, clippy thingies?

Quote:
3. Shorter round makes it easier to carry more backup ammo. This one takes some explanation. I was watching a video where a guy carries two moon-clipped sets of 9mm ammo stacked one on top of the other in a single speed loader carry pouch. Thus, where he would only be able to carry 6 rounds of backup with .357 in speed loaders, he can carry 12 9mm. With a double carrier, that turns into 24, plus the 6 in the gun.
It is extremely rare that you would ever need the entire six (or 5) rounds in a revolver. A single reload is more than needed, and a double is twice more than you will ever need.

Quote:
4. Not as loud. Now I'm not claiming that 9mm is quiet, by any means, but if I am forced into a self defense situation, especially in an indoor setting, I like the idea of less damage to my hearing.
A bang is a bang, doesn't matter what gun it comes from. Unless of course you have a suppressor, which you couldn't have on a revolver anyway.
Old August 23, 2016, 05:37 PM   #38
BigMikey76

Quote:
A bang is a bang, doesn't matter what gun it comes from. Unless of course you have a suppressor, which you couldn't have on a revolver anyway
I won't try to argue that any gun is easy on the ears - that just wouldn't be true. There are definitely differences between them, though. Most people will agree, I think, that .357 is louder than 9mm. According to studies regarding how humans perceive sound, if you can tell that one is louder than the other, that generally means that the louder of the two sounds has produced at least twice as much sound energy as the quieter one. This is borne out in comparisons that show an average of 160 db for 9mm and 164 db for .357. That may not seem like much of a difference, but every 3 decibels approximately doubles the sound energy, so the average .357 is around twice as loud as the average 9mm.

Of course, anything above 85 db (in other words, any gun) can cause damage, but how much louder is what makes the difference between cumulative damage and sudden catastrophic damage.

Would I want to fire any gun in an enclosed space without hearing protection? Of course not. But if forced to do so, I'd rather fire the gun producing half as much sound energy as the other option.
Old August 23, 2016, 06:05 PM   #39
hammie

Isn't there a potential for the tapered 9x19mm case to back out of the cylinder and lock up the gun? I thought that was the reason Smith & Wesson added the containment pin to its model 547. Maybe that problem has been solved in current revolvers. I'm not being argumentative. Just asking the question.
Old August 23, 2016, 06:33 PM   #40
reddog81

For a first revolver I'd stick with a .357/38 special. With this combination you can shoot light target 38 special loads all the way up to warm .357 loads.

I'd stay away from convertible revolvers. 9mm bore diameter should be .355 and .357/38 special should be .357. These figures are close enough to make both calibers work but not ideal.

Ive heard way too many negatives about the Rhino to even consider buying one unless I was able to shoot it first.

I have 45 ACP revolvers and enjoy them but I've heard the 9mm moonclips are more finicky and you need a tool to make them work. I just use my fingers and a wooden dowel for the .45's

With all that said I recently shot a S&W 929 and it was one of the smoothest shooting most accurate handguns I've ever shot. Of course this was a N frame revolver and was well broken in. I'm seriously considering getting one of these but they are a lot different than the typical small framed 9mm revolver.
Old August 23, 2016, 07:40 PM   #41
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I won't try to argue that any gun is easy on the ears - that just wouldn't be true.
Not looking to argue. Just stating a 9MM bang is a 9MM bang weather it comes out of a semi-auto, or revolver. Making sound level a mute point as an advantage out of a wheel gun.
Old August 23, 2016, 09:22 PM   #42
BigMikey76

Perhaps I was not clear. I wasn't saying that 9mm will change volume and be quieter in a revolver, just that it is typically not as loud as .357.
Old August 23, 2016, 11:48 PM   #43
jski

As long as we're considering rimless cartridges for a revolver, I'm a BIG fan of the .30 Carbine Blackhawk. And yes, I'm aware of its reputation for a dramatic muzzle flash/blast BUT this is VERY often exaggerated.

Still I reload for both my .30 Carbine and .357 Blackhawks using pretty much the same ingredients: hard cast (BHN 22), gas checked bullets or Berry's plated bullets, Hodgdon H110 powder (14-15 gr.), CCI magnum small rifle primers, and Starline brass. Both are exceptional performers.
Old August 24, 2016, 04:17 AM   #44
Cosmodragoon

I prefer auto cartridges in auto guns and I don't really like shooting short cartridges in long chambers. That doesn't mean I don't see the appeal. It also hasn't stopped me from wondering about a GP100 rechambered to take 10mm/.40 S&W... Of course, that's a few out on my wish list...
Old August 24, 2016, 07:27 AM   #45
briandg

hammie, that won't happen because the cylinder isn't tapered. Before it starts to slide the pressure will have compressed it to the steel, held it in place, and bounced it back, so to speak. If cylinder and cartridge were both tapered, that might cause it to catch, much like the remington jet did when fired in revolvers, but the straight walled cylinder won't let any thing stick.
Old August 24, 2016, 08:25 AM   #46
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The problem I find with reloading is that it cuts into the only commodity I cannot replace with something else: time.
Obviously spoken by someone who has never enjoyed the relaxing, and rewarding past time of reloading.
Old August 24, 2016, 08:30 AM   #47
hammie

@Briandg: I appreciate your insight, but I think the 9mm parabellum is significantly tapered and of course the cylinder is tapered to match. I dunno. Maybe the moon clips or extractors (as in the charter arms revolver), keep the cartridge from backing out. Although, I would think that moon clips work better at keeping a cartridge from going in and not so much from going out. I figured S&W designed the model 547 with a retaining pin for a purpose.

For that reason, I've always shied away from 9mm revolvers. A short while back, the smith and wesson performance center was making revolvers chambered for 38 super, and at the time I thought that might be a better option from a functional standpoint if oyou wanted a 9mm caliber revolver (and if you could live with the ammunition availability issues with the 38 super). I have a S&W 625 chambered for .45 ACP and it works fine with the straighter walled cartridge.
Old August 24, 2016, 10:15 AM   #48
briandg

Hammie, you're worried about nothing. Again, just take a look at the .22 remington jet, a revolver cartridge. the center cartridge is the jet, and look at that bottle neck. It worked in revolvers, and only caused trouble if they were loaded wrong or were greasy.

From wikipedia:

You tube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImgR5wA370
Old August 24, 2016, 11:23 AM   #49
Bob Wright

The problem I have with moon clips is that I have to pull the base pin and remove the cylinder to load 'em.

Nope. Just not that practical.

Bob Wright
Old August 24, 2016, 02:34 PM   #50
SIGSHR

My sole convertible is my Old Model Ruger Blackhawk .357/9MM. No problems with ejection. There is the matter of the slight differences in bore diameter-357 vs .355, using lead bullets haven't seen any real problem with accuracy.
Half/Full Moon clips ? Sort of like a speedloader, you need to practice with them.