The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 8, 2011, 11:10 PM   #26
swsurgeon

I like the Fox Labs a lot but I often carry the ASP Street Defender. It is a combination refillable spray dispenser and impact weapon (palm stick). Two friends and I have used the ASP spray against problem individuals and found it very effective, despite having a lower SHU rating than the Fox spray.
Old March 11, 2011, 05:54 PM   #27
Polynikes

Just before reading this, I just purchased two cans of the Mace PepperGel spray for myself and the wife. I liked the idea of eliminating blow back and the slightly better range. Anyone have any feedback on this particular product? I already see it's not quite as hot as the Fox Labs spray.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:54 PM   #28
JerryM

I never see it mentioned in these threads, but I find that unless there is a definite breeze from my back I get some of the spray, and I seem to be very susceptible to it. As a result I buy the foam in the hopes that if I need to use it I won't be the first to be blinded.

I have a friend in LE who used foam on 3 guys who were going to whip him. He reported that each went down as if shot when he gave each a short burst.
I have read that prison guards do not use it as the prisoners just wipe it off and throw it back at you.

However, I doubt that one would experience that on the street or with a dog. In addition, inside a car or from the window of a car I am not sure that the spray would not blind the driver using the spray.

Any experience? Thanks.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:36 PM   #29
swsurgeon

I don't think pepper spray MUST be as hot as Fox to be effective, although Fox is excellent stuff.

With regard to the foam or gel question, one time when I had to discharge the ASP for about a one second burst, some of it got sucked into a country club ventilation system and cleared a couple rooms. One was the ladies' room, where my date happened to be at the time. She and the other gals in there were not amused. As a result, I can see the potential benefits of foam or gel.
Old March 12, 2011, 01:56 AM   #30
thrgunsmith

I've used pepper spray a whole lot, the only time it didn't work immediately was on an old hardened junkie convict, it took repeated applications and 3 or 4 long minutes for it to stop him.

I got so proficient that I always knew which way the wind was blowing.
If you want practice, go to San Francisco & tell the pandhandlers to "Get a job" Half will will tell you they're gonna kick yer azz, ( it used to be more but I taught them manners) & voila-you have a self defense reason. They threatened you and under CA law you're allowed to defend yourself.
Old March 12, 2011, 02:51 AM   #31
ClydeFrog

Types-levels brands chemical agent...

There are a few common brands of chemical agent on the US market, Mace, First Defense, Cap-Stun, Fox, etc.
I have a small(mark III) size container of OC/pepper gel. It works out to about 25ft and puts a sticky red film of powerful OC on a subject.
There are foams, sprays, fogs, etc. I'd avoid the foam types. An aggressive attacker could wipe off the foam and smear it on you(a point made on a forum by a working LE officer). Most chemical agent sprays I've used always get problems with wind gusts or breezes.
Fog type units are okay but best suited for large crowds or riot/LE type events. Unless you hang out with Dog Chapman, I doubt you'd need a fog type system.
When buying or researching chemical agents, it's good to know the OC % content(5, 10, 15, etc). 10% is the normal level in most cans available to the public. Some chemical agents contain UV dyes, tear gas or other substances too. This may help with IDing a violent subject later on or ending an attack.
Be very careful too about the contents of a chemical agent if you plan to also use or carry a EDW(a taser or stun gun). Documented cases of a subject being hit with a alcohol based chemical spray then shot with a stun gun having a large flash or flame have been reported.

Finally, I suggest obtaining formal skill training from a respected or certified course. If you have a self defense event or need to later explain your actions in court it will look a LOT better to a judge & jury that you had documented skill training. I took a 4 hour class & got hit with a 5% OC spray about 5 years ago. It wasn't fun but I could answer honestly if I knew what Mace or pepper spray really felt like.
See www.PoliceHQ.com www.Galls.com www.QMuniforms.com www.UScav.com .
Old March 12, 2011, 09:17 AM   #32
teeroux

Quote:
Has anyone on this thread had to spray a person (non-training) or an animal? What was the reaction?
Was certified with FOX 5.3 and we spray folks on a fairly regular basis with it.

One person out of like the last 20 didn't succumb to its effect. The guy came into the jail on PCP and didn't feel any pain thats why. He took a full stream in the eyes, nose, and in his MOUTH!! whilst he shouted obsenities at us. He spit it out and continued to shout obsenities like it didn't happen.

Now this isn't a normal case usually when we administer hell in a can they give up in about 5 or< seconds and are screaming from the pain in their cell after their decon shower for the next hour.

Folks that are really determined or high can still give you a hard time after being sprayed. I hit bags at 3 stations with a baton, elbows, knees, running between them. Then had to identify a particular person among others and draw my simulated weapon on him and take him into custody all after having my face painted orange by FOX. It succccckkkkkked but I faired alright. So I KNOW that if I get sprayed, I can still dish out the arse woopin of someones life.

Keep that in mind.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:16 AM   #33
sdw1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejonestkd
I've seen it used once, on a dog that persisted in menacing a group of campers when we were on a hike a few years ago. One blast in the face from 20' ended the encounter quickly.
That's sure good to know for me. Thanks for sharing.
I peppered a couple of Anatolian Shepherds (very large breed) engaged in a fight and it didn't stop them.
Maybe I don't have a good pepper spray. I don't know what kind it is, but my ex, who is a LEO bought it from his local Law Enforcement Supplier.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:36 AM   #34
swinokur

Sabre Red has a red dye in it so if you use it, the perp is clearly marked. Like a exploding red dye money bag from a bank. Supposedly NYPD uses Sabre red. May be advertising hype

Fox Labs top shelf as well.
Old March 12, 2011, 12:59 PM   #35
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Be very careful too about the contents of a chemical agent if you plan to also use or carry a EDW(a taser or stun gun). Documented cases of a subject being hit with a alcohol based chemical spray then shot with a stun gun having a large flash or flame have been reported.
Very true and worth repeating.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 13, 2011, 12:18 AM   #36
Jeremiah/Az

If you live in a hot climate like I do, don't leave pepper spray in your truck. Both myself & a friend of mine did & it blew up in the trucks. Not a fun surprise when you get in!!!!!
Old March 13, 2011, 04:56 AM   #37
trooper3385

The spray that we are issued is the First Defense pepper spray. It's very effective. Whatever you get, don't get any of the foams or gels. We are not issued that, but a couple of the local officers used it in the past and we've had it thrown back at us more the once. It was what they were issued and they got to where they wouldn't use it. The main thing to remember with the pepper spray is that it reacts different with some people. Most people it will have an instant effect on. Some have a delayed reaction. It will take 20-30 seconds to kick in. Out of my academy class of 110, about 20 people it took about that long to start working. We had 2 that had little to no effects from it. They told us about that before sprayed us and I didn't believe it till I saw it, and we pretty much got soaked with pepper spray. About 1 can per 2 people.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:49 AM   #38
Single Six

Hiker 1: I had to hose down a pit bull once. He had latched on to a cat. That pit bull took the OC spray like it was water; never fazed him in the least. The cat died. Meanwhile, in response to the original thread: I'll put in my vote for Inferno by Cold Steel.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:21 PM   #39
Straightshooter629

I have had to use the Fox 5.3 on a few aggresive bar patrons and it will immediately take the fight out the most determined opponent. The effects are positive and instantaneous.
Old March 13, 2011, 05:21 PM   #40
catnphx

Though I'm not LE, I bought some Extreme Take Down Pepper Gel (from Mace) in a 2.8 oz can at a Phoenix gun show. I like the idea of the gel for a couple of reasons and some of it has to do with the reason I carry it:

1) My German Shepherd is always with me on a walk and I carry it as first line of defense against coyotes, other dogs and javelina. It has an 18 foot spray reach and I need some accuracy so that I don't spray my dog (or family) too.

2) I also carry my gel even when I carry my gun. I do so as a first line of defense (if possible) against attackers so that it shows I'm willing to use less lethal measures before I pull the gun. Again, I state if possible. If I do need to pull the gun then I'm less likely to be dealing with possible blow-back that one might get with a spray. Blow-back would be a problem if I'm pulling my gun out of it's holster and I'm struggling to see the target.

Anyway, this works for me.

Extreme Take Down Pepper Gel (by Mace)

Old March 13, 2011, 06:03 PM   #41
Lost Sheep

Be species specific

I recall that tear gas (and mace) has no effect on canine species, so for dogs coyotes or wolves, not so good. So, make sure whatever chemical you choose is effective (the literature should tell you) for your threat to be defended against.

DO get an out-of-date can and practice with it. (This advice more for the private citizen who is not afforded institutional training, training films and such).

Remember, that nothing is 100% effective. Spray-resistant individuals has been mentioned already. The related subject of Tasers (as an alternative sub-lethal application of force) has been mentioned. As effective as it is, it's not 100% either.

A man in Crestview, Florida was tasered on April 25, 2009 and when the juice was turned off, successfully drew a concealed weapon and killed the two Deputies who were arresting him.

see this news story
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=7430214
abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=7430214

followed by this report of the incident
http://odmp.org/officer/19925-deputy...en-(skip)-york
odmp.org/officer/19925-deputy-sheriff-warren-(skip)-york

the second report mentions the Taser, the newspaper article did not.

from this thread on TFL

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=354154
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354154

Lost Sheep
Old March 13, 2011, 10:00 PM   #42
ClydeFrog

Thx for the high praise Capn, out of date contents...

Thanks mucho for the praise Captain, .
I'd add that when you purchase new chemical agents or pepper sprays/gels, be aware of the expired date. Most US self defense products have a shelf life of 3-5 years.
For normal carry or storage, I'd replace any chemcial product after 36mo/3yr just to be safe.
As posted before, you can spray out the older container or use it for training-practice under safe conditions.

CF
ps; Be very careful with EDWs/tasers too. About 5-6 years ago I read a news item about a female police officer in the Daytona Beach FL area who drew her PD issued taser, fired at a violent subject then had the small hooks make contact with a cheap lighter in his shirt pocket!
The subject suffered burns from the injury and was treated at the scene by EMTs.
Old March 15, 2011, 02:42 AM   #43
cptnugget

Bear spray

I carry Counter Assault bear deterrent spray (in appropriate circumstances, that is: where there are bears), and I just wanted to note that it is 2% capsicum spray and 3.2 M SHU (vs. Fox Labs' 2% and 5.3 SHU). And Counter Assault makes a 10% capsicum spray (OC-10), but it is somehow less hot, at 2.0 M SHU.

I'm a little surprised there isn't more of a relationship between the extract percentage and the heat rating, but obviously it isn't as simple as how much capsicum is in the spray.

In any case, my point is that the bear spray isn't more potent than what's used on humans. But its size, and the warning against use on humans on the can, make it impractical and inadvisable.
Old March 22, 2011, 01:09 PM   #44
rburch

Cold steel sells inert training cans of their sprays. The spray isn't as hot as some options, but has some features I like.

It's a foam spray so that limits the backspray, but the foam disolves quickly so it's pretty much impossible to throw it back at you.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 22, 2011, 09:06 PM   #45
shooter1911

After many years of research, my wife carries the 2oz Fox 5.3 cone flip top.

http://foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml
Old March 22, 2011, 11:41 PM   #46
white96850turbo

ASP palm defender is what I carry everyday. It's small enough to fit in my jean's pocket, and I never forget it / know where it is, as it's attached to my car keys...
Old March 23, 2011, 01:06 PM   #47
markj

Lots of good stuff here, years ago I saw a postal guy spray a dog in the face, dog took off fast. Do they carry the same stuff?

Is there one that works on both people and stray dogs?
Old March 23, 2011, 03:56 PM   #48
white96850turbo

Has the same effect on both dogs and humans... In any case more efect on dogs, as they have very senitive nose (if you been sprayed you know it burns everything it makes contact with)..