The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 2, 2002, 01:10 PM   #1
bowhnter

Wards Western Field Rifle

Model 32A .22 S, L, LR. Single shot bolt action. Rusty but the bore looks ok. Will clean it today to find out more. What can you guys tell me about this thing? What's it worth? Collectible? Should I refinish it? Anything will help.

Thanks

[IMG]desktop/p0000188[/IMG]

===========
"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important, but especially so at a moment when rights the most essential to our welfare have been violated." --Thomas Jefferson -----, 1803. ME 10:365
Old March 2, 2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Various companies made plain vanilla, low-cost "shooters" for Monkey-Ward and Sears&Sawbuck. By and large they did their job quite well.

Clean it up, fix it up and shoot and enjoy.

, Art
Old March 2, 2002, 11:38 PM   #3
Crimper-D

Kinda like Bastards...

Good parentage, minus the paperwork and pedigree

Good little shooters, not much if any collectors interest till very recently. There are a great many out there at still affordable prices. Good Shooters, Buy many - Shoot often - Make as pretty as you want without any "refinishing/reblueing anxiety
Old March 3, 2002, 12:23 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

I think it's a Mossberg model 21.

Sam
Old March 15, 2002, 06:05 PM   #5
bowhnter

Ta Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa

here are the before and after pics.

I brought it back to the original owner when I finished it. He asked me where I got it !!

Couldn't believe it was the same gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .22 before after.jpg (186.1 KB, 143 views)

===========
"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important, but especially so at a moment when rights the most essential to our welfare have been violated." --Thomas Jefferson -----, 1803. ME 10:365
Old March 15, 2002, 06:30 PM   #6
Sisco

I have a Western Field M830 made by Mossberg, bought it some 30 years ago for $25 and it'll out shoot all my other rimfires. If I could only keep one of my .22's it would be the one.
Old March 15, 2002, 07:33 PM   #7
The Plainsman

bowhnter....

Nice work. Looks good. How does it shoot?
Old March 16, 2002, 08:08 AM   #8
bowhnter

After I got it done I took it out back. There was a 6X6 piece of paper in the yard about 35 yds out, so I took a shot at it. I think this sights are pretty crude, but i was dead on EVRY time. I'll have to bring it to the range to really put it to task. I've got a feeling that it won't disappoint.

Thanks for the compliment. It's my first try. There's a gun show coming up soon, I may look for another project. This one took about 8 days.

===========