The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2001, 01:48 AM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Just loaded 10mm for the first time...

Wish me luck.

I'm always nervous about shooting my reloads the first time I try a new caliber or load that differs radically from what I've been cooking before.

180-gr. lead bullet, Winchester cases, Remington Large Pistol Primers, and 5.4 grains of WW 231.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 20, 2001, 09:30 AM   #2
DCloudy777

Best of luck... your load sounds fine. I've been using W231 behind 200gr lead in 10MM for awhile now... works pretty well, but get ready for the smoke. 231 is dirty, but is absolutely filthy in my 10MM. My IDPA buddies told me I shouldn't bring my muzzleloader to the matches anymore. I just told them it was a self-contained concealment device to cover my withdrawal... Anyway, 231 is cool because you can load almost anything with it... and it works pretty well, especially in lead .45 loads, but I'm switching to something else in 10MM as soon as I get ready to load more. Good luck and good shooting.

DanO
Old December 20, 2001, 11:11 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've been using 231 for over 20 years now. It's the only fast pistol powder that I use.

I don't find 231 to be dirty. Somewhat smoky, yes, but a lot of that can also be caused by bullet lube smoking.

Old December 20, 2001, 02:52 PM   #4
First On Race Day

Precision Bullets makes a 220 grain lead that has a coating on it so barrel leading is cut down dramatically.
That is what I shoot during IPSC matches (with 231 also).
If they don't like the smoke, tough. That is what happens when one buys in 8lb increments.
Old December 20, 2001, 03:03 PM   #5
BigG

I think it is the lead bullet lube, too. W231 is pretty dang clean if you ask me.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 20, 2001, 07:30 PM   #6
bedlamite

You might want to try the plated bullets to get rid of the smoke. I've had excellent results with both Rainier and West Coast in 180gr.
Old December 21, 2001, 07:43 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

SAFETY THOUGHT

Suggest Alliant Power Pistol in 10mm.
Old December 21, 2001, 10:56 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wes,

Safety Thought?

Care to expound a little bit?

231 is perfectly safe in 10mm, or at least 3 of my reloading manuals say it's perfectly safe.

I'm certainly not going to get top-end power loads with 231 but given last night, I will get a fairly accurate and moderately recoiling plinking load.

Oh, and to everyone else?

The smoke clouds with these bullets were pretty intense.

I'm going to have to get some plated or jacketed bullets and make darned sure that it isn't my powder.

Old December 21, 2001, 11:21 AM   #9
BigG

I think what WeShoot was saying is that a S-L-O-W-E-R powder is more adaptable to 10mm - a high intensity ctg. (After all, Mike, a 10mm is not for wuss loads!)

I haven't reloaded for my Delta, but as for 38 Super it works much better with a slower powder than 231 or Unique or such to drive those jacketed bullets down range at decent speed.

Good luck on your new endeavor.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 21, 2001, 12:14 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'll fully agree that a slower powder will give hotter loadings, there's no doubt about that.

But 231 has wide applications in lighter loads for Magnum and other large capacity handgun loads.

I use 231 routinely in my .357 Mag., and I've put together a VERY nice 231 load with a 215-gr. lead bullet in my .41 Mag.

Old December 21, 2001, 01:16 PM   #11
Pigshooter

Mike,

Lyman claims the faster powders are really good for accuracy in 10mm, even if they don't push it to top velocities.

I have some limited data for 2400 too, so it obviously handles a wide range of powder speeds.

I've been wondering if Herco would be any good? I see absolutely no data for it in 10mm, but plenty of 357mag shooters love it.
Old December 21, 2001, 01:41 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've got some data for 296 for 10mm, as well, but it's all lead bullet.

I don't think I'd want to go with a powder quite that slow. You need a pretty heavy crimp at that point to get the best ignition, and I'm not entirely certain that kind of crimp can be reliably achieved with a taper crimping die.

I've never used Herco, so I can't say one way or another about it.

If I decide to go with another powder for the 10mm, it will probably be one of the mid-speed Winchester powders, or possibly an AA powder.

Old December 21, 2001, 02:19 PM   #13
Desert Dog

Mike,

AA#7 or AA#9 would be my choices...

regards,

Yes, in fact I do have a 454... in more ways than one.

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 21, 2001, 03:07 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I was thinking possibly AA #7, as it seems to have a slightly wider working range for lead and jacketed bullets.

It would also seem to work well for my .357 loads.

Old December 21, 2001, 04:57 PM   #15
Desert Dog

AA#7 is the choice for .45 Super, my pet caliber. I also like it for .357 magnum.

I have a friend that loads 10mm for his S&W 610. I will have to ask him what his favorites have been. I know he uses AA#9 for some really STIFF 10mm loads. I know, I have shot them...

Yes, in fact I do have a 454... in more ways than one.

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 21, 2001, 09:17 PM   #16
WESHOOT2

MIKE,

I've used W231 in 10mm myself, but suggested Power Pistol as a safe accurate alternative to the faster powders.

For plenty of 10mm excitement tune in to Glock Talk and their "Reloading" and "10mm" sections.............

Blue Dot, 800X, BANG.
Old December 21, 2001, 10:20 PM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wes,

Oh. OK, gotcha now.

The only Dot I do is Red Dot, for trap loads. Very consistent patterns with Star 7 1/2 shot and AA components.

Tried it in handguns, once.

Thought I was going to have to get the pressure washer out.

Old December 22, 2001, 03:11 PM   #18
jtduncan

Don't use fast powders with 10mm!

The 10mm round is a high intensity round PERIOD.

Now W231, Bullseye, and titeGroup are great 45 ACP powders for under 800 fps loads.

But 10mm is meant to be driven at 1200 plus fps. It comes from an old hunting round.

For the best accuracy and brass life, I concur with WESHOOT2- Power Pistol, Universal, AA#7, AA#9, Longshot, or some of the VV medium to slower burning powders.

You're just not going to get the full benefit of the round FBI lite'ing it. Shoot through the W231 and go slower.

For snoot kicking rounds that will drill a 2-3 inch ragged hole at 50 yards with a KKM 6" barrel in my Glock 20 with 24# recoil springs, I use 10.4 grains of AA#7 and a 200 grain copper plated flatpoint. AA#7 it pretty much fills the case up.

for deer slaying rounds, you can go AA#9 or my fav, Hodgdon H110 to max load.

For practice, I'd look to one of the above meduim powders. I have a 40SW conversion barrel for my G20 so when I want more target fun, I use 7.1 grains of Power Pistol and a 155 grain Montana Gold bullet.