The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2001, 02:51 PM   #1
jjmorgan64

can i form 44-40 from 45 colt brass?

i would only need a couple, it's to for a buddies gun, i ran one through the sizer, and it looks good, have not tried to chamber it yet.(he took the gun up north)

Just curious
Old December 17, 2001, 04:42 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Looks edgy on paper. 44/40 rim bout twenty thousands larger than the Colt and cartridge base bout ten thousanths smaller than the Colt.

If case works, the small rim could make extraction a bummer.

If it doesn't work out, Starline has new 44/40 brass.

If it does work.....please let us know.

As always, use caution.

Sam
Old December 18, 2001, 03:05 AM   #3
Archie

You can use 44 Magnum brass to load .44-40.

I have so done.

But why? Good .44-40 brass is available from Midway and Starline. Don't borrow trouble.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old December 18, 2001, 01:05 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Not worth the Potential Trouble, jj - - -

Just ten to 15 years ago, your question would have borne far more serious consideration, sir. I don't mean to play down the validity of your querry, but back then, .44-40 brass and loaded ammo was downright scarce. Remington has always listed it, but for a long time, it was pretty much a special order item, and most dealers didn't want to fool with stocking it.

Cowboy Action Shooting has changed all that, and it is easy to locate .44-40 ammo in any fair-sized sporting emporium. Empty brass, brand-new from the mill, loaded ammo with jacketed or lead bullets, are all fairly easily located.

I realize that Thirty to forty bucks a box is pretty steep if you only need a couple of cases. Suggestions: Check any gun show. Chances are there will be some smaller lots of ammo for sale, without having to pay collector's prices for something unusual. Another: Find a S.A.S.S. or End of the Trail shoot and attend as spectator. They're a hoot! And there's bound to be someone who'll give or sell some ammo or cases. Same remarks apply about going to a large public shooting range some weekend and looking for the guys with lever action long guns or single action revolvers. Ask about the .44-40 and they'll probably be proud to help you out.

Best of luck to you.
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old December 18, 2001, 10:42 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

But Johnny, that's too easy.

Sam
Old December 18, 2001, 10:56 PM   #6
WES DAKOTA

44/40's from 45cote brass, huh...

Yes you can, but i'm willing to make a small wager, and frankly i wouldn't bet on the sun coming up in the morning, that when you stuff a 44/40 bullet in them they will not fit the charge holes in the cylinder. 44/40 bras is mucho thinner than 45cote brass from the gitgo. If they do fit that pistol has some sloppy assed charge hole dimensions, i'll tell you.